Charging - Led blinking blue and red when plugged

I sent an email on May 7th to support. Support replied by asking me to answer a troubleshooting questionnaire. I did answer the same day. Since then, no answer despite of my regular requests (once a week).
Can you please help me?

Same issue for me after software update. Super annoying. Charge locks to 82% while powered off as someone else noted. Hopefully it’s software related as it seems to much of a coincidence with all the other reports.

I just received mine and was even about to write a positive first impressions post, but I noticed there is some issue with the charging - it was 80+% when I turned it off (leaving it connected to the charger), 30 minutes later I turned it on and it was around 75% - ok, might be some glitch in the first charging, so I decided to leave it plugged in until it’s fully charged, but it does not look like it will ever reach 100%.
I have the same :oncoming_police_car: police mode with alternating red/blue light and it’s the same if it is turned off or on. After that I tried connecting it to a 65W usb-c PD powerbank and it’s the same. Changing the usb-c cable did not help as well and I don’t think I have a high-powered usb-c pd wall charger to test that as well, but since I have :oncoming_police_car: with the powerbank as well, another charger might not be the solution… I hope I don’t have to send it back, but that might be the last option if a software fix does not come. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the latest update introduced this bug as some here are speculating, because the first thing that I did after turning it on was to update it.

I will run it for a while without the charger to see if it behaves better when the battery percentage is lower and will keep everyone updated.

Update 1: Ran it down to 58% and now with it does charge (only red light) with the original charger as well with my powerbank. So it seems like the problem starts at higher battery percentages. I will try to deplete the battery before charging and do another attempt at a full charge.
Update 2: Used the projector on battery until it turned itself off and then started charging it. Once it started alternating blue/red light, I turned it on and it was at 92% charged, but once it was on, it kept charging (constant red light, blue stopped alternating) for a few minutes, it reached 93% and then started the police mode again.

Please someone from Philips acknowledge that this problem is being worked on (just tagging @Philips_Support_P @IvoGrijt ), it does not look like an isolated case and if it keeps switching from mains to battery all the time, it will destroy the battery life, so I will be forced to return it. If you want me to do some specific tests, let me know.

1 Like

It’s not widespread but seems to be reported more often lately. We did ask some users to return theirs and also asked a few to gather adb logs for us. Depending on your tech savvy you could perhaps also gather some logs that may indicate whether it’s the unit stopping the charging or the charger failing to deliver constantly.

If you give me some tips on how to turn on the developer mode (I did not see a full settings menu yet), I might be able to get adb logs, no problem (I’m a software developer, so should be able to assist once pointed in the right direction :slight_smile: ). After all it’s preferable to help you find a software solution than to wait for months for a replacement :wink:
It looks like the problem becomes worse once the battery is closer to max capacity and there is no load on it - when it was turned on at 94%, it was alternating red/blue, but after that I turned it off, the speed at which the red/blue was changing increased - it was a bit more stable when there was drain on the battery.

1 Like

Here’s instructions for access the hidden menu. In there, you can also enable the developer mode.

1 Like

Thanks, I just found it a minute ago, I’m checking now if my current adb drivers will work with it.

2 Likes

I sent him the instructions for adb logging via a PM

1 Like

I have the same :oncoming_police_car: issue. Did everything (at least I hope I did) mentioned above… letting the ppx run on battery until it shut down, waited almost 24 h until recharging etc. After a full day of charging the battery (detached from Charger shows 95% and drops down to 92% 2 minutes after turning on the ppx).
I want to add, that even with 92% it says just 1h34min remaining. That doesn’t fit with the 100%=3h…
Anything else I could try/do?
Bild

@IvoGrijt
Please inform me what to look for in the logs and I’ll give it a go. I’m in the first SE batch and this happened after recent SW update to me.

I have 2 projectors, of which the one which was updated to the new software version (V1.1) have started giving me similar problems.

while the other still running on the old software (V 1.0.29) recharges without any issue with the same power adapter.

I tried a factory reset of the projector with the issue, but it doesn’t revert back to the old update (still in V1.1) with the issue not resolved.

@IvoGrijt and @Philips_Support_P

Would you recommend using the projector plugged in or cycling it through a discharging and charging option?

As the blinking problem seems to arise only when the battery is above 70% charge in my case

If someone has an older firmware zip that is known to work, I could try to downgrade and see if it fixes the problem.

PM me

Some more information for the engineering team on the behavior - I installed a battery monitor app and left the PPM connected to the charger and turned off for some time. It looks like at around 91-92% the device actually starts to lose charge instead of charging (even while powered off!)

I have a problem charging when the device is in use. I am using the charger that was provided with the unit. It charges fine when the unit is powered off but when it is in use it doesn’t charge. If I unplug ot and plug it back in the LED charging light turns red for a minute or so then it turns to blue and stops charging. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what do I do to fix it?

Update to this problem : The Projector starts blinking even at 45% charge, previously it use to be around 70% anyone else noticing this?

That behaviour would indicate that the battery actually is fully charged already at that point, when the LED changes from red to blue (but not flashing back and forth!) with the AC adapter connected the projector will be powered directly from the AC adapter, bypassing the battery.

Is the battery percentage reported close to 100% when the LED turns blue? If it’s not I believe the percentage is wrong and the reporting may become more accurate if you discharge fully as described in Charging/battery issue - #19 by Philips_Support_P

Thanks for the reply but I think there is a misunderstanding. The unit does not charge when in use. I can only charge it when the power is off. When in use, even though it is plugged in the battery drains

Oh that’s very strange, so battery drains while the LED is blue and charger is attached? Is this happening in all three brightness modes? It sounds like a potential hardware issue with the charging circuitry to me (despite the fact that it will charge when powered off)