Connect SSD to PPMax

I’d like to use the projector on my travel. The SD card is generally limited so I want to ask if anyone in the community or in Screeneo has already tested an SDD disk connected to the USB (A). I already have an external 1Tb SDD disk (connected to my PC) but I don’t have the PPMax (I’m on list 3) to test it.

Any result? Could be a good solution for a completely portable projection system (Without external BR device)? All my Film are in MKV format…

Thanks Rino

I have a sandisk extreme 1TB ssd portable, connected to the standard USB port on the PPMax and works ok. Played a .mkv file too. Had to use the Media player for the PPMax, as it doesn’t work with MXplayer or VLC.
Also, the USB-C doesn’t work with the SSD for some reason.

1 Like

The USB-C ports are for power only and video only (both marked for the function the support)

Regarding the SSD: I’ve used a Samsung SSD in a USB3 enclosure and that works perfectly fine.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer… really speedy!!!
I don’t the PPMax… so … The Media Player is a preinstalled application or I must download somewhere?? and … do you know WHY the MKV file doesn’t works with VLC??

Rino

You can use the preinstalled MX Player Pro, it works very well and uses hardware acceleration.

4 Likes

Hi all,

What does the hardware acceleration do exactly ? Or, what is expected to change with it ?

(PS: I might be off topic, I’m sorry if this is the case : I don’t know how to quote a message to start a new topic with it)

Borrowed this explanation from Quora

Manufacturers install multimedia chipsets to assist video decoding process specifically, so the H/W decoder is using these chipsets to play videos. If you have a powerful device the hardware acceleration would be more helpful because it can allow playback of media when software decoding is too slow or laggy.

Hope this helps (it did me)

@Philips_Support_P using MicroSD for a large collection of movies on the go 1tb + (avg 10gb a file) or would you advise USB SDD like the opp is suggesting? Just trying to keep it a neat package (hopefully comes today :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

@Sponnie both options are fine, but SD card is more compact I guess. You can also use the Adoptable Storage feature in Android to make it a permanent part of your PicoPix Max, but I suggest keeping it removable.

3 Likes

Hi @Arnaud, it makes the playback totally fluid and stable without using too much power.

2 Likes

… and … another question …
For external SDD … do you suggest to use USB-C or USB-A? My SDD have both option… so, I know that USB-C is the same as HDMI (directly on the chip, with the limitation of it) but USB-A?

Thanks

The USB-C ports on the PPM support only power and video signal input, not data. Use the USB-A port.

3 Likes

Opppssss… you are right…IvoG said it…

2 Likes

I couldn’t get MX player Pro to work or recognize a USB SSD Drive at all. Only thing that worked was the preinstalled Media Player.

I think MKV files work fine in VLC, had them playing from my network drive ok. I said that VLC or MX Player Pro just didn’t recognize my SSD so it didn’t work at all. I had to use the Media Player and yes its inbuilt and pre loaded onto the PPMax

How is your SSD formatted, FAT32 or something else?

Question for me??? well actually It’s not really important. It’s connected to my main PC to make Music but I must change it for one bigger.
So I can format it again in the best way for PPMax

Rino

Just how it come out of the box, i believe how most SSDs are now, exFat.

1 Like

SO … finally… what is the formatting structure for external SDD on PPM? NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT??

As I said, the one I have (SanDisk Extreme PRO SSD Portatile 500 GB) comes from my PC so it’s NTFS, probably I need to re-format it before to use…

Rino

Yes, you’ll need to reformat it. NTFS doesn’t work as far as I know, FAT32 and exFAT should both work. Haven’t tried FAT32 yet myself, but since the offline update procedure explicitly asks you to format the USB stick with FAT32 I presume it should work.

Fat32 works