Connect SSD to PPMax

@Philips_Support_P @IvoGrijt @djupsjob and any other moderatore and beta tester… any proposal/suggestions for (my) problem on SanDisk Extreme Pro Portale SDD format Ex-Fat not working on PPM (USB-A)?

Do you have any other drives to try? usb flash drive, portable HDD etc?

Well not here with me (out for work) at home I have a portable HDD…
Here I have tested a standard USB key (32gb) and it works…

Try a powered USB hub if you have one.

I don’t have one with me but let me say:

• I didn’t find the power used by this sdd but I supposte isn’t different from the others
  • If I must use a powered hub I loose the portability of the PPM.
  • In my opinion is a problem of power trought the USB port because when I use it on PC or tablet the sdd became worm, on PPM after 3 hours it’s absolutely cold. Could be hardware or software protection… I don’t know but it’s very strange

Maybe the best solution is to buy a Samsung T5, as suggested, it works. At home I’ll try a portable HDD but I’d like to have an answer from @Philips_Support_P

Thanks anyway Ivo

1 Like

You’ll probably get one, but it could take a while as they’re busy with various meetings these past and coming weeks.

He did however already give the answer before:

Yes, I know… But if the sdd and the portable HDD works on tablet and phone… For sure they absorb less than 500ma… But I don’t see a reason for my non working sdd…

OK, I give it up… For now there is nothing I can do

I was also trying to find the power draw on this SSD and coming up empty handed, it’s not even mentioned in the spec sheet from SanDisk themselves. I did however notice that it has a USB-C connector. How are you connecting it to the USB-A port, and have you already used it on another device’s USB-A port also with the same cable?

Thanks Ivo for the support!
Yes I used it on my PC but to be honest I don’t remember if on USB-A 2.0 or USB-A 3.0-3.1.
I also wrote to SanDisk asking for the power required.
The Samsung T5 seems have the same characteristics but this one works… Maybe the Sandisk is at the top high level of power… Well at least this discussion serve to other people
I let you know if and when SanDisk answer, and when I’ll be at home with more test.
Thanks again

Forgot to say… The sdd come with two Cable, one USB-c to USB-c and another USB-c to USB-A like Samsung T5

1 Like

Just to answer to SanDisk question… The USB-A port on PPMax is 2.0 or 3.0-3.1?

That’s a good question for @Philips_Support_P to answer.

Hello, it’s USB 2.0

2 Likes

@PhilipsEngineering Have you noticed about the problem I have with SanDisk SDD on PPMax that is not working?
Note: both SDD and USB input on PPMax are working
Have you experience it?
I’m waiting for an answer from SanDisk (it’s passed from L1, L2 and now L3 level!!)

Hi @Rino2 have you tried this SSD on another Android 9+ device? Does it work?

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_P
Yes, on my callular OnePlus 8 (OS10) and on Sumsung tablet S4 (OS 9) both have USB-c port, so I used an USB-c to USB-c cable… and on both is working. I have also copyed files on my desktop PC, with USB-A to USB-C cable but in this case I don’t remember if I used USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port.
NOTE: Both cable are standard forniture of the SDD and the SDD has a USB-c port

Thanks for support
Rino

@Philips_Support_P @IvoGrijt and all.
The problem seems partially solved.
SanDisk answer: “The SSD draws more than 500mA, and is not compatible with the projector. Exact power draw info on SDSSDE80-500G is not available”. !?!?
It sound absolutelly strange that SanDisk don’t know info about a SanDisk product… Also sound strange that they speak about generic SDD because if it is true the Samsung T5 must not work. Anyway this is the answer so DON’T buy SanDisk SDD for use with the PPX, it doesn’t work on PPX because it draws more than 500mA (max current for a USB 2.0 port) …
Hope it helps
Thanks for the support

2 Likes

Well, if you can connect a powered USB 2 hub to the PPX, you can still use it. You could possibly power it off the same charging source or powerbank if needed.

What is the “minimum bulk and weight” solution for powering a USB disk that requires more than 500mA? I seem to remember that some disks are shipped with a Y-cable (one USB-A in one end and two USB-A in the other). Would this be a good solution, connecting one of them to a powerbank?

1 Like

I don’t get why bulk and weight would factor in.

But a Y cable would also help indeed, as would a powered USB-A hub.

You don´t see why weight and bulk would factor in? If it didn´t I would be carrying around a full-size projector (because it produces a better image). Bulk and weight is ALL the reason you would go for a pico-projector, at least for me.

2 Likes