Connecting laptop using USB-C cable

Hi Werner,
I’m using the one that came with the PPM. It’s the only USB C to USB C that I own. Does yours work with USB C to UsB C?

Your machine has the followng ports
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s);
2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only);
1 HDMI;
1 headphone/microphone combo.

Its specs: HP Pavilion x360 - 14-ba008nl Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

Unfortunately no, it won’t work because you have a USB Type-C port supporting data transfer only, not for DP nor HDMI.

1 Like

I haven’t received my unit just yet, looks like it’s scheduled on the April 11th flight.

As @IvoGrijt points out your machine simply isn’t capable of HDMI alt-mode on its USB-C port. This is a common issue with USB-C, wildly varying support. USB4 aims to rectify some of those issues, requiring all hosts to support DisplayPort alt-mode on all downstream-facing ports. That’ll help some but not in the PPM case as the PPM doesn’t understand DP alt-mode but requires HDMI alt-mode. This whole USB-C chaos will take quite a few years to iron out…

You should have received a billboard popup stating that your USB-C port isn’t supported when the device fails to enter its alternate mode, but I’m not sure how Windows actually deals with that.

2 Likes

Thanks IvoG. How do you connect your windows device to the picopix?

1 Like

I have used HDMI, USB-C, and Miracast to connect from my own Precision 5520 laptop as well as from other laptops of the kids or iPhones and iPads by using the Lightning to HDMI AV adapter.

So I have confirmed info now from the engineering team.

The USB Type-C port is alt-DP using a DP-to-HDMI converter internally. It does not support alt-HDMI mode!

3 Likes

Thanks, good (for me) to hear (I think)!

My Lenovo 720S 13IKB has two USB-C ports (in addition to two of the old USB-A format):
1× Type-C (DP + PD + Thunderbolt)
1× Type-C (PD + USB 3.0)

I have a cable I bought in January, marketed as:
USB 3.1, Type C to Type C, Gen 2, “E-Marked Chipset”, 1.5A 30W USB PowerDelivery, length 2 meters, data transfer up to 10 Gb/s

Connecting a cable that meets those specifications to the first of the laptop’s two USB-C ports should work for video via DP to the projector’s internal DP-to-HDMI converter, if I understand correctly? The cable can’t handle power, but I’ll use the USB-C cable delivered with the projector for that.

Oh that’s interesting, was that changed or has it been alt-mode DP the whole time? That will guarantee very wide compatibility when the USB4 standard starts to roll out.

1 Like

It has been this way all along, my information was not accurate until now, when I talked to the design engineer about how to handle 2019 MacBook bug fix.

2 Likes

Hi @Addo yes that should work fine.

2 Likes

I have some answers to update all around the forum then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

hello @IvoG, hope you are well .quick question .
What cable do I need to connect my Huwaei tablet to the projector ? It is mini usb cable to usb c ?
Or there is any HDMI one as well .
Got lost with all those cables and I m not in the technic at all !!

Thx for your help !

H

Hi @Herve1,

can you tell us the name or modell number of the tablet? Otherwise it’s hard to find out if the tablet even allows video output by cable.

1 Like

Hey ! Thx for your reply . Yes it’s : HUAWEI Media part T3. Model KOB-L09

If it’s this one I suspect you won’t be able to get video out with a cable, as it says “no” under MHL-capable (this would be the sort of video adapter you might get working via micro-USB, but only on supporting devices).
So your best option would probably be to use the Miracast on the PPM (I don’t know exactly how it works there, but there should be some sort of app for wireless projections). On your tablet, you can probably use these instructions to enable “MirrorShare” (which is probably their term for Miracast).

1 Like

Hey ! Thx a lot for your answer . Yes I did try to mirror thing but not amazing quality. Anyway I still have my compute that I can plug into the HDMI and that work great . Might get a small tablet who would work . More practical if I m abroad , but that’s not for tomorrow !
Anyway thx again for your help !

Best

Hervé.

1 Like

Actually gonna use my iPhone 7 . Don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier . Have u tried ? I checked . Apple is selling the lightning adaptatif then I have to buy an HDMI cable too . Is that right ?

Thanks again for your help .

Yes, it should work with the “Lightning Digital AV adapter” and a HDMI cable. Qualitywise, it’s almost certainly better than any kind of wireless mirroring, and as a bonus you shouldn’t have to worry about DRM issues at all.
Disclaimer: Although I have used the product several times I haven’t tried it with DRM content. I don’t own this product myself so I can’t test it.

that great . thx for your feedback . i ll do that .
last question… regarding the warranty do i have to register the product on philips website , or it is automatically under warranty as we backed the project ?

@Philips_Support_P or @Philips_Support_2 could you comment on this?