USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops

There’s already an HDMI port right next to the USB-C so it won’t really matter but yes I believe you’re right about DisplayPort being royalty free. It would be a hard sell only presenting DP and DP alt-mode without HDMI though.

Guys I used the provided USB-C with PPMAX to connect to macbook and it works fine. ( the apple charging cable doesnt work though as its just a charging cable)

I am trying to run auto focus and it is re focusing but cant see the focus ring with letters to fine tune it when connected to USB-C Video output. Is it normal? Any Expert opinion?

This is normal, it is still focusing but on the image displayed as is. The focusing ring is an Android app which is why you don’t see it when using one of the external inputs.

3 Likes

If it’s easier for you, you can do focus on the main screen (with the on purpose screen) and then go back to your USB-C source :wink:.

1 Like

yeah i did that way , just wanted a confirmation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to clarify, it was confirmed from engineering (Connecting laptop using USB-C cable) that there_is_ DP to HDMI conversion built in, and I have now verified myself that there is in fact a classic Parade PS176 protocol conversion chip between the USB-C video port and the HDMI multiplexer in the V56.

1 Like

so that means only alt-mode HDMI will work and not DP?

The other way around, the DisplayPort signal coming in from the USB-C port in alt-mode DP will be converted to HDMI for internal processing. The HDMI port is fed straight to the input selector, and the video output from internal Android is also a straight-up HDMI, which means that the V56 video chip will only have three different HDMI sources to switch between.

2 Likes

I’ve just recently got my PPM and not been able to successfully connect it to my Macbook Pro (2019) via USB-C. Getting a no signal screen. I have been using the accompanying cable that came with the PPM. I’ve connecting the same Macbook Pro with a HDMI (via an official apple dongle) but really want to get it to work directly plugging via USB-C.

I’ve connected a family members Macbook Air (2019) via USB-C and this recongises the PPM and works just fine so it’s not the video port on projector that is the issue.

Any idea why i can’t get my Macbook Pro to work? Any known hardware issue or some sort of config i need to adjust?

2 Likes

same issue with Surface Go and Acer switch 5. It works with a dongle usb C hdmi/hdmi but it’s not works with usb c/usb c…Any solution ?

It depends. It might be the same issue I faced: Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems - #27 by Philips_Support_P and as you have already confirmed that everything is fine with a MBA I’m fairly sure this is the exact same handshake issue I had with my MBP 16" (2019).

It looks like it - i’ve also posted on that thread to. Doesn’t seem like there is a fix.

Is this something that can be solved with a software update or is a hardware issue that can’t be sorted?

It definitely sounds like you need the newer firmware for the USB-C alt-mode controller inside the PPM. I was able to upgrade mine (that’s what the USB communication is for in the charge port), but the upgrade process is not entirely straight forward (and clearly not meant for end-user use).

I believe the supported way from Philips point of view is to swap the projector (as was mentioned by @Philips_Support_P in the other thread). I wouldn’t recommend the horrible tool from Legendary/C-Force.

It’ll be interesting to see if there are more people having this issue, maybe there are enough people to warrant a custom off-line tool to be developed, thereby avoiding shipping projectors back and forth.

1 Like

I have a MacBook Pro 16‘‘ 2019 too. When I get my PPM (maybe next week) I will check the USB-C connection.

Great if you could - i’m running a 13" MBP (2019) and it’s not working. However a family members 2019 MBA works fine via USB-C for video.

@wernerj - as the original identifier of this bug, how do I go about either flashing the firmware or getting a replacement PPM? I still have this problem!

1 Like

@PEHowland please contact our support (@screeneo.com), they will help you with either of the 2 options.

3 Likes

I don’t think I was first by any means, but I was hit by it and I did get it sorted, @Philips_Support_P has the official word how to proceed outlined above. I hope that will resolve the issue!

1 Like

Yesterday I received my PPM. As expected the PPM shows ‚No Signal‘ after connecting the USB-C cable to my MacBook Pro 16‘‘ (2019).
So I tried to install the firmware update which I received a few days ago by the Screeneo support. Because it is a zip file including an exe file I used a Windows 10 machine. First there is a warning message by Windows Defender. After ignoring this warning and a second one I get an launcher error „Unable to open archive file“ and the setup is stopped.
Any ideas how I can install the firmware?

You have to choose the compatibility mode. Win95 works for me :smiley:

And Google Translater is super handy because i think one part is missing. You have to click on “write” to start the flashing process. With Google Translator I was able to find out that it is the first of the three buttons below on the right.

Google Translator worked only on the word document (screenshots) not the EXE, because i missing chinese fonts.

1 Like