Connecting laptop using USB-C cable

Hi Team,
I have laptop (AERO 15 NA vesion) with USB Type-C - DP 1.4 port / thunderbolt , can i connect my laptop using this to PPM ?
when i tried it, this does not work for me ?

Hi @IvoGrijt , can you help me troubleshoot this ?

It’s been a month now, @IvoGrijt @Philips_Support_P, what is happening?

Philips customer don’t care

It has been like over a month now, please?

@IvoGrijt
Hello Ivo, very happy with my PPM that i received on monday.
I have problems connecting my macbook pro 15 to the PPM
is there an way to do it ?
i did it with the usb c cable provided, in the right place, updated the software etc
so cannot find why
thank you for your help

Which model / year? There are reports that recent MacBooks have problems using usb-c, have you tried with a HDMI dongle?

1 Like

MacBook pro 2018. I will try with HDMI dongle and let you know
thank you for your reply

I also use a MacBook Pro from 2018 (13 inch), for me it’s working fine. Make sure you use the cable that came with the PPM, not the MacBook charger cable. The Apple one can only be used for charging, not for video. Also you might want to check the video chip version, you might have a different version which needs to be updated (not likely, but good to check anyway). If you scroll up in the thread you should be able to find instructions on how to retrieve the chip version.

thank you so much for those info
i have the 15 inch, i did use the cable that came with the PPM, but i will check for the video chip version.

thank you so much

actually none of the USB C cable can charge the PPM either, as you said the Apple on can charge

Any news about this topic, I have both MacBook Pro 13 edition and windows 10 but I’m absolutely not able to connect any how. Cables USBC and hdmi don’t work also with the steps in the video. BT pairs but even within all the possibilities ( yes, I checked to be sure I’m projecting in a second screen) still not working.

this one works for video!

Seems to me the hardware just doesn’t support USB-C Alt-DP mode, the hardware only supports Alt-HDMI mode.

It’s a hardware limitation rendering any laptop USB-C that outputs Alt-DP (most) unusable.

This is why no one from the team wants to reply with the bad news.

Actually it turned out to be the opposite actually, there’s a DP to HDMI converter chip in-line between the USB-C port and the HDMI mux inside the PPM, this was confirmed here: Connecting laptop using USB-C cable - #21 by Philips_Support_P

There was a major confusion until engineering confirmed this to Prashant (and I can also confirm the Parade PS176 chip: USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops - #59 by wernerj)

I wasn’t initially able to get the PPM recognized as a Alt-mode DP device, but this turned out to be because the USB-C firmware handling the USB-C video port was too old (this depended on when the PPM board was run through the manufacturing line). It can be updated in the field with a Windows machine: USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops - #79 by IvoGrijt

3 Likes

Nice, hopefully they will include it in the next firmware update.

It can’t be included in the firmware upgrade as the chip isn’t programmable from the internal OS, it needs to be accessed from an external source and upgraded that way. If you need to do this please send an email to support@screeneo.com and request the “PPX620 Video Chip FW upgrade procedure“.

1 Like

no one has replied to the request of “PPX620 Video Chip FW upgrade procedure“. for 9 days

My tech support colleagues were on vacation last week, they are now back and will get to your ticket soon.

1 Like

The solution has been on this forum since December 2020 thanks to a member who provided the official link to download the driver and flashing tool, as well as a few tips on how to make sure it works for everyone.

Keep in mind you don’t need a Windows computer to run the tool. You can use a virtual machine environment as long as it is configured to recognise simple USB peripherals such as USB drives. I tested it on VMWare Fusion and Windows 10 x64. It also works with Windows 7 SP1 x32 but the setup was a lot more cumbersome to enable USB peripherals.

Here is @blagerweij 's post: https://community.philipsprojection.com/t/troubleshooting-usb-c-video-problems/1766/101?u=myphilipsid

@sandywahine or @IvoGrijt Please mark the thread as resolved or mark this post as helpful so that other users like me don’t spend hours browsing through threads and posts until trying out something that isn’t even marked as a solution/helpful and hitting the jackpot 2 days later.

1 Like

When I connect my Lenovo Yoga S740 notebook to the USB-C port to project something from the notebook, it connects, however it is giving an audio message disconnecting and connecting in an interval of 30 seconds.