Discussion about PPX features that were advertised but not present in final product

No, the design intent was to (and I’m quoting directly from their website here) :

The PicoPix Max automatically straightens for a clear, perfectly-angled
project no matter the surface it’s on

If you look at the picture above where it says that it shows what they said it would be able to do… Which it can never do.

If you’re going to quote the campaign advertisement @Timothy_Cowger, quote it all:

The PicoPix Max automatically straightens for a clear, perfectly-angled project no matter the surface it’s on (Auto Keystone: Internal, HDMI content and screen mirroring. 4 corners corrections: digital, screen mirroring and for internal content).

The sentence

The PicoPix Max automatically straightens for a clear, perfectly-angled project no matter the surface it’s on
is true: the surface does not matter, and it straightens automatically in the vertical keystone movement. This is explained in the next part, Auto Keystone: Internal, HDMI content and screen mirroring.

The picture
Screenshot_20200525_212911_com.android.gallery3d
says Auto-Keystone correction, which is available and works as explained underneath, and the part Project from any angle also is true, by using 4 Corner correction as explained underneath the picture.

Nowhere does it say Automatic 4 Corner Correction for all image content sources, which is however what many backers may have expected or understood.

So this remark is only partially correct. It can never do it automatically, but it can certainly do it.

It is 100% not automatically doing the thing that it shows in the picture. It does not AUTOMATICALLY STRAIGHTEN FOR A CLEAR, PERFECTLY-ANGLED anything.

You want it to look good, it’s gotta more or less project directly in front of itself.

Also I believe most of the caveats they added waaaaay after. They added those after they delivered them and people started complaining.

1 Like

Also, they’ve technically sold it as:

And also then:

So, you know, that’s what I bought… You know… Just to “quote it all”

To say they were disingenuous is putting it lightly. I do appreciate that they’ve been revisionist about features. Though it is interesting to see how far they’ve come with the reality of their product.

When I said it would never be able to do that stuff automatically I wasn’t partially true… Please if you’re going to quote me… Quote it all.

Many backers understood it as that… Because that was how it was presented.

There have been many features people expected to get that didn’t quite get delivered on… This is one of them.

1 Like

But isn’t being revisionist part of the crowdfunding experience? There are also features that it did not have advertised that were added later, just like some features which may have been misrepresented or lost in translation if you will were explained in more detail afterwards.

I expected it to have that feature… It was one of a few key features that made it onto the literature. You could even say it was a selling point.
There was no misinterpretation of what they were saying it would deliver.

I was very disappointed that it couldn’t do it all automatically.

I was expecting it to make good on its claims, I don’t think that’s crazy.

3 Likes

All being the key word here

Yes … All being the keyword… that’s what I’ve been saying the whole time…
All being what was promised.

Look it’s obvious we’re not going to see eye to eye on this. So there’s no reason to keep this going. I was just, and still am disappointed that I have to have my projector placed more or less in front of my screen for it to work well… The 4 corner correction produces a skewed picture with that linearity distortion that I hope they fix.

I’m not sure why it’s hard for you to understand that screeneo kind of shit the bed on this. It’s okay man. It is what it is.

1 Like

100% agree with you while I can live with having to correct the autofocus it’s one of the reasons I backed this project
But saying that they have made many improvements to what it was. And I’m hopeful there are many mor to come

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it is, but it shouldn’t be the case for key features or unique selling point features as the 4 CC is. If no one would mention it and just accept it, they would Start the next campaign and advertise 10k Lumen in a tinyer device with 8k, and after the campaign has finished it will be nothing more than a PPM+ at best.

1 Like

And yet, these “shortcomings” as you call them were well known and discussed on many platforms long before they stopped accepting refund requests, so anyone who still kept their backing in place basically accepted that the unit would not have these features, and should now just enjoy the other features as they are.

It’s okay, you don’t have to put quotes around shortcomings… Because it’s fine without them. They are shortcomings, not some sort of imaginary issue. I’m curious what sort of phrase for over promising and under delivering you’d feel more comfortable with?

To be honest there are several other things they’ve under delivered on that I’m sure quite a few customers are unhappy about as well, like maybe bluetooth and HDMI, or other HDMI issues, or unappealing GUI, or lack of proper Google services, or that weird Aptoide thing you have, I would hardly describe the built in stereo speakers as “like bring there”… The list goes on…
Thanks for letting me know I should enjoy it as it is, that’s very helpful and is making all the difference.

Accepting a short coming and being happy about a shortcoming are two different things.

It’s okay to accept that screeneo may not have done the world’s greatest job on this project. Take a deep breath… It’ll be ok.

1 Like

I’m arguably one of the greatest fanboys of the PicoPix Max you’ll find on this forum. So I’ll happily debate this with you.

I for one have every single feature and quality level I wanted in this device, at a very sharp price to boot. I wanted something with a built in OS with ability to install all the necessary or wanted apps, and it has that. The fact that I mostly use and rely on the OS means I have no issues with missing Bluetooth connections or lack of 4CC when watching content as I only ever use internal content sources. The GUI is easy and perfect for my needs, anything fancier would probably just bog down the system. I don’t have or like devices like Chromecast or Firestick dongles, and always try to put the projector in front of the projection surface in the old fashioned way when stuff like 4CC was unheard of.
So when I found out about these features not being as originally advertised I wasn’t fazed, and once I got the projector I was blown away by the quality and capability.

Could it have been the best thing since sliced bread? Probably. But you knew at a certain point it wouldn’t have certain features you were looking for, why still keep your pledge? Answer me that in all honesty.

BTW: I split our discussion off to a new topic as we were getting off topic

Well I don’t know how to debate the fact that it didn’t end up doing what it originally said it would be able to do. That’s just a fact. There’s no debate there.

I’m glad you like your PPM, and I hope you continue to enjoy it.

I would have liked a better OS, maybe like a proper one with Google services so I could log onto YouTube and use a proper install of Netflix and not some weird “do not update” sideloaded one. I mean we’re dealing with Philips here, I was quite frankly expecting more.

I also only use it on its own and I find the remote and GUI clunky and terrible, and I’m not the only one. I was not blown away originally when I got it, the fan noise was terrible, the Netflix didn’t work properly, though those issues have been somewhat solved now.

You know it’s undiscounted price is $1369 CAD. I would hardly say it is a bargain at that price. To be honest if I paid that for what this is I would be quite angry.

Why did I still keep my pledge? A combination of a few things… I was hoping updates would make it usable (they’ve helped) a bit of laziness about not wanting to figure out how to get a refund and ship this thing half way around the world, complacency. This was my first, and now last, indiegogo pledge. I had heard of was it Sony or JVC or something using this platform before, so I figured: big name, should be on the level.

There were numerous steps along the way that made it seem like the people having the indiegogo were out of the loop with what was being developed. Hence leading to tons of issues: they originally were asked if it used mirroring and they said no, they said it was using a new chip developed by TI, it didn’t. There’s like a ton of stuff. If you care you can look it all up. But I’m sure you deal with it as a moderator on here dealing with unhappy backers.

It seems to me that they have a lot of QC problems and are dealing with a ton of returns. These things don’t happen for no reason.

But regardless of why I didn’t return it, it does not make this product amazing… And they sold it as amazing.

I’m glad you’re a big fan boy of it and you love it, but I’ll leave you with this: when you walk around wearing rose coloured glasses, all the red flags, just look like flags.

1 Like

You will not find a properly working (in FullHD 1080p resolution that is) Netflix on any Full HD projector out there right now, and that’s not down to Philips but down to Netflix.
Philips have actually made something that’s not supposed to be possible, possible. When you update to the regular version of Netflix, you’re getting the “we don’t support or approve of FullHD on projectors” version of the Netflix app.
By the way, I can log on perfectly fine in Smart YouTube and have all my subscriptions and stuff there.

With regards to the QC and return rates: I don’t have the numbers, but with almost 6000 units in the hands of the backers, there aren’t nearly as many returns or issues. The lockdown in China meant that production had to be stepped and sped up, which meant adding and switching to a new factory and ditto personnel, who may not all have been as well versed at making the units. My unit from the original factory for instance is solid, but some of the very first production run units had the focus wheel come loose due to insufficient glue used. So a lot of issues have directly or indirectly been caused by the virus outbreak.

And lastly: (red) flags only bother bulls, they don’t affect me really :grin:

2 Likes

Well, one projector has managed to do it…
So you know… That’s not true…

And yes it’s very apparent that the red flags don’t bother you :roll_eyes:

I think I would have been happier seeing Android TV on there instead of this Aptoide garbage.

just curious how you’re loving those speakers? Is it really like you’re there? I seems like there’s only one speaker too? Are there two?

It’s true that there is Netflix support NOW, but not when the hardware and contracts facilitating this were done. Look at the date of your linked article that says they’re finally starting to get Netflix now. So too late for the PPX unfortunately, but on the other hand not an issue as they’ve included a version that will give you what others are only now getting.

As for the speakers: I’ve paired sublime Sony WH-1000XM3 to the PPX, as well as an UltimateEars WonderBoom and my Pioneer receiver with 5.1 sound. 99% of the time however, I prefer to just use the built in speakers, they’re so loud for me that I usually have them at 75% volume or less. The feeling of really being there isn’t conveyed in the sound for me, but in the amazingly big image I’m watching. It’s called marketing and it looks better than saying “Meh, the speakers sound okay”. You have to take some things with a grain fo salt in this world, as I’ve learned from the McDonalds commercials long ago.
:hamburger: :fries:

Well, not an issue for you does not mean it’s not infact an issue :blush:. You seem to be just about the most biased opinion out there.

Also I would have expected more out of a giant multinational corporation like Philips than the apparent powerhouse that is xgimi…
I’m curious though does it have stereo speakers? It seems like there may be just one in there by the lens.

2 x 4 Watt

Based on my personal experience with the product.

Answer honestly, would you be happy with this product at $1369 CAD?