Dull colors, strange thing happening

You are right there, sorry! my formulation was definitely exaggerated (I was writing in a hurry) and I apologize for that!

iPhone displays are not really to be considered as reference.
The way the colors are displayed in your case is definitely not right.
As far as I’ve seen on this forum, there should be a way to edit the rendering of the colors/luminosity/contrast/sharpness. Does that help?

Glad you realized the exaggerated way you talked. Apologies accepted.

Yes, I played with those settings but it didn’t help. I’m not an expert but I’m pretty sure there is something more to do to get them showing properly. In the next firmware update there is the color correction. That might resolve this color issue.

Just wondering if it’s my unit problem or anybody else is also noticing this.

1 Like

If you display a solid red and a solid green and a solid blue image would those display properly? It sounds really strange that everything would be desaturated…

1 Like

WOW, this interesting. It has to be something very odd. As far as I know lamp based, DLPs don’t have polarization filters (but LED based might?).
Can’t explain what you’re seeing but I am very curious to know the cause.

Photos will always look better especially if you view them in a small screen however, if you see the screen almost the same as from your photos, then something’s definitely wrong. Or maybe you are projecting on a 300" screen? :stuck_out_tongue:

Best would be a ColorChecker™ pattern, or SMPTE bars, or any test pattern that has SMPTE colors in it.

1 Like

With the usual disclaimer about evaluating colors in from a photo, even these photos seems to be severely undersaturated esp the reds, which is very different from what we have seen from other picos.

Hi @Alessandro,

1. Are you using HDMI or USB-C cable? If yes, have you tried a different cable? If not, which app are you using to display this? What about the projector’s home screen, does it have normal colours?
  2. Have you checked the Saturation setting under Projector Settings > Image > Color Adjustments?

There’s no polarisation filter.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P Interesting… Do you have any assumptions where iphone took missed colors?

Is that some specific source? What is it?
Could be some wide gamut content that’s not identified as such and rendered improperly?

@Alessandro Hi mate, I think it’s better for you to use another video for comparison. I happen to watch the same Netflix documentary film tonight and they are shot with high tech night vision/equipment which projects very little color originally and your iPhone just pick up and enhanced it. For example, that cheetah was shot in complete darkness and they used high tech equipment that rendered as if shot in near evening time. That is why the colors are dull.

1 Like

Hi,

1. I used the internal Netflix app and also gave a try with the HDMI cable from Xiaomi smart tv box.

2. Yes, I have checked and no big improvements.

BUT… as @ronaldtai stated, it’s true that the video was shot in low light situation. I checked again the same video on my laptop and I have to admit that also in that case the colors look a bit dull (not same as the projector, but close).

The colors might look dull mostly for the low light situation.

The camera of the iPhone might just enhanced them in a really “magic” way.

Said so, I think there is not too much to worry. I’m pretty sure I can adjust the colors perfectly with the next firmware update.

@ronaldtai can you please watch the same video from a different device (Netflix app in the phone, laptop or tv)?

There is a noticeable difference with colors. Even though the video was shot in the night, I can see good colors from my laptop or Netflix app in the phone.

Hi @Alessandro. I tried using iPhone to watch the same episode 1 and yes, I noticed it was ‘enhanced’. Slightly better ‘colors’ and contrast, but still considered ‘dull’ when compared to other videos as they are shot not in low-light situation but in complete darkness (as what the lady narrator said). Try a different movie in Netflix. Perhaps one with bright outdoor daylight.

Thanks for checking @ronaldtai :slight_smile:

Yes, the other videos look better but I still notice something that can be improved about colors. Generally they don’t look as vivid as they should be.

I had another video projector before (720p, with less lumens) and I can tell the difference between them. The PPM has to improve this side a bit.

I’m confident that I can adjust it with the next upgrade.

To check for vibrant colors, you could also try to project an animated video clip. The colors are more evened out, therefore easier to check.

@Alessandro I tried looking for a Netflix movie that is high in brightness, color and contrast and snap up a photo.

It’s not natural color of course (enhanced) but just to prove that the ppm IS capable of producing vivid colors.

Yes, I can confirm. Overall is a good quality image but I still see some strange colors sometimes. Especially with the skin tone of the people in some videos. The skin looks grey/green, not pinky.

I read a comment in a different discussion where a guy says “look like watching a movie from 70’s”. And I partially agree with that statement.

I’ll try to adjust the colors with the next firmware update. Thanks for the update! @ronaldtai :slight_smile:

That’s strange indeed. Am I right to understand that the above sample photos are taken by another camera point at the iPhone which is in camera mode pointing at the projector screen?

Hello Alessandro,
I’m agree with you colors are stranges, too much green and yellow and at the moment no way to have a better image. I have updated the firmware and colors seems worst than before :partying_face:, tonight i will try to erase de update in order to see if there is an improovement

Hi @Alessandro, how did things turn out afterwards, your last update was a while back.

I must confess that I didn’t quite get what I was looking at in the first few shots you made, but it became clearer later on. It seems to me to be a white colour balance issue, the image that your eyes and the camera you used to take the combined wall / iPhone display shot see is in a different color balance, and the iPhone camera is correcting the color balance and showing you the image as it should be. I have no idea however what could be causing this though.

When you say you played with those settings, I take it you mean the standard controls in the Projector settings? Or did you try the instructions here:

I’m really curious about your current status.