Dust sucks in around the lens

I have noticed that around the lens there is a gap to the inside because of this the airflow that comes in from the side sucks air also in from around the lens and i can see that dust particles also sucks in that way and it will accumulate everywhere inside
Would have been better if the gap around the lens was sealed ?

And also after maybe a year the inside will have clogged up whit dust what do we do about that ?

3 Likes

I agree. I live in a particularly dusty area and this is a problem with most devices I own. I think I might put some hot glue or a thin layer of black insulation foam around my projector’s lens.

I’m not sure sealing the gap will help, air has to and needs to be sucked in and circulated for cooling, whether it’s from the vents or a gap makes no difference and along with the air comes dust, so by sealing off this gap just stops dust from entering at one point only, dust will still enter from all other points with air to the inside, and you obviously can’t seal off all holes and gaps then it won’t be cooling and will overheat.

2 Likes

Good point! I wrote that when I had just woken up and forgot about the practical aspects of it I guess! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A can of compressed air on one side and a vacuum cleaner on the other once a month will do wonders!

3 Likes

wouldn’t a vacuum cleaner introduce the risk due to buildup of static charge?

1 Like

That’s it, also once the 2 year warranty is over we can just pop it open and give it a thorough clean.

1 Like

I don’t know, would it? :man_shrugging:t4:

What I was thinking about was that if you only blow in air to blow out the dust, but don’t get rid of said dust from around the projector right away, the dust might circle back and land right back in and around the projector.

When I’m using any kind of compressed air to clean equipment, I make sure there’s also a flow of air away from the unit,either with a fan or with a vacuum cleaner at a shirt distance.

based on my knowledge, electronics and static dont gel well. Not sure if this is still the norm but I am sure that till few years back, people used to wear anti static bands while working on electronics.

I had a bad incident when i blew up a friends motherboard due to static after cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner. I’ve kept my electronics away from using a power blower ever since.

EDIT:

Did a quick google search:

• There are special anti-static vacuum cleaner that should be for cleaning electronics.
  • Compressed air is definitely safer, but should be used from a distance .
1 Like

Technically I think it would be fairly simple to ground everything so that even if there is charge buildup, it flows away immediately.

3 Likes

That’s indeed correct, but that applies to all work with exposed electronics and regardless of vacuum cleaner use or not IMO. I just wasn’t aware that vacuum cleaners posed an increased threat, I always make sure I ground myself.

2 Likes

I think that should be sufficient just to plug the PPM with the charger, that should ground everything that need to be grounded and avoid ESD problem.

Nope, as the charger doesn’t have or use a ground pin according to me.
Not only that, it would provide the system with a live current also.

I used the altura camera lens cleaner pack for my last projector .comes with a small hand pump n great cleaning liquid n lint cloth…