Google Cast capabilities

Is there no casting capability built into the PicoPix Max? I had assumed initially it would and then in the FAQ it does mention the differences between mirroring and casting and that I should be able to cast the YouTube app but whenever I go to cast the option to cast to the projector is not there.

Am I missing something?

1 Like

Hi @PiWizard, please start the casting feature once by going to Settings > Screen Mirroring > iOS. This enables AirPlay, Google Cast and DLNA. After the first start, you can go back to the home screen, the casting feature will always be available in the future. Also make sure your PicoPix Max is connected to the same network as your phone or Mac.

In addition to AirPlay, Google Cast and DLNA, PicoPix Max also supports a 4th option: Miracast. It’s most often used for Windows and Android devices to cast the entire screen, and doesn’t require the PicoPix to be on the same network as your phone. To use Miracast, you’ll need to start this service every time you wish to mirror your device, by going to Settings > Screen Mirroring > Android.

And specially for YouTube, you have a 5th option: Link via WiFi or Link via TV Code. To enable this feature, open the YouTube app (SmartYouTubeTV in the current firmware), go to its Settings and select Link via TV code (recommended). Then you’ll be able to use YouTube on your phone to cast a video to the PicoPix.

Hope this helps.

3 Likes

So we are very limited on what apps we can cast from?

No, how did you conclude that? :slight_smile:

The only apps that don’t work via casting are apps that prohibit casting due to DRM / content protection schemes. For example Netflix doesn’t allow AirPlay mirroring. AppleTV+ only supports AirPlay 2.

Tried Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Plex. None of those work.

Same thing here. I can mirror the home screen on my iPad, but if I try to cast (using the TV icon in the upper right of an app), it doesn’t work. iPad is casting (I.e. video doesn’t show on the iPad) But nothing shows up.
Interestingly, if I plug a Chromecast into the PPM, I can cast fine from the iPad to the Chromecast and the picture from the PPM is great. Just can’t seem to cast directly to the PPM.

1 Like

Following these instructions the only app I’ve been able to Google Cast from is YouTube.

For these Apps, the option to cast does not appear: Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Crave, Plex

My questions for Phillips:

• Which Android apps have you tested and can confirm Google Cast support for besides YouTube?

• Are you planning on adding full Google Cast support for to support more applications in a future update?

5 Likes

Same here, I am unable to cast, even if the option to cast to ppm appears, it says casting but it’s a black screen.

Those black screen is probably the apps blocking the casting unless maybe a certified device is used like a real chromecast device. This is again I think an issue with all these certifications needed for making things work which benefits companies and obviously us users are the losers :pensive:

By the way, linking to the youtube app works better in terms of playback but controls via phone won’t work.
Via the default casting, videos are stuttering and usually in low resolution. Hopefully, this can be fixed.

Also the google cast to youtube goes to the default youtube app and not the smart youtube app.

The resolution / quality difference is huge. Everything is pixelated and text is blocky in youtube app.

Everything is fine in smart youtube.

Same problem here. Only YouTube does work, all other apps with cast integration doesn’t work.

Can you please respond to the post below (from NinjaMark)? Many, including myself, have the same issue.

Thanks

Following these instructions the only app I’ve been able to Google Cast from is YouTube.

For these Apps, the option to cast does not appear: Spotify, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, Google Play Movies, Google Play Music, Crave, Plex

My questions for Phillips:

• Which Android apps have you tested and can confirm Google Cast support for besides YouTube?
  • Are you planning on adding full Google Cast support for to support more applications in a future update?
1 Like

Hi @sugafreez this is discussed here: Troubleshooting: Choppy playback when casting YouTube

In the above post I’ve clarified that this is not ‘Chromecast’ as we understand it but YouTube cast + casting your entire screen via Google Cast.

We talked with Google, unfortunately Google doesn’t license Chromecast anymore. I can suggest using AirPlay if you’re on iOS, casting your entire phone screen, -or- Miracast (the “Android” cast option on the PPM). Apps using DRM will not work.

Apart from that we are also talking with the 3rd party provider of Screen Mirroring tech whether we can re-implement full chromecast protocol. I’ll keep you all updated.

6 Likes

You may already know this, but some “pure” Android phones (annoyingly) don’t seem to support Miracast.
My old HTC phones did, but none of the recent Nokia ones I’ve had do.

Google seems to want to get rid of it. I guess in favor of their Google Cast.

Does anybody can really use the Google cast with the youtube app directly on the PPM ?
I tried 10 times to watch a youtube video from my phone to PPM and it works 2 times. Something the app is launched on the PPM, sometimes not.

Hi @FrCustomer for casting YouTube, please check this article:

https://support.screeneo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012987899-Choppy-unsmooth-playback-when-casting-YouTube-

Hi @robincm The Google Cast implementation should work also for full-screen mirroring of ‘pure’ Android phones.

1 Like