Google TV a possibility?

With with sudden rebranding and simplification of the Android TV ecosystem regarding tv based devices (TV, usb dongles, assume projectors as well), Android TV becomes Google TV.
Would there be a possibility to adopt the new Google TV system instead? Would Philips be willing to have a chat with Google on this topic?

I think it needs to be new hardware if they do

I recalled the previous reply from Philips was that Google did not want to build in Android TV into projectors. Not sure if this direction would change upon rebranding, personally I think no.

I don’t think there’s any technical obstacle to this.
The only issue is Google will not allow certifying existing devices to facilitate updating to the new Android TV.
I stand to be corrected but this is my understanding.

BenQ just released android TV projectors, so if that argument was ever used by Google, I guess it no longer applies now. Would be awesome to have proper android TV instead of whatever it is that PPM wants to call that OS of theirs.

4 Likes

Seen multiple brands using it, so its a mixed message. I accept the issue being with the hardware rather than with Google. If some can get it and use it, why can’t others.