Image quality subjective review

Before 1.0.24

After 1.0.25

4 Likes

Both shoot at manual wb at 6500k. I am very happy with the result, both color and sharpness

Do you mean you are happy with the result of the update or the result of shooting on manual wb at 6500K?

1 Like

We really need that fine tuning application :slight_smile:

Looks way better for media

Looks great! Big improvement:)

What about the area number 1 ? It’s pretty different.

1 Like

You can not evaluate a resolution pattern through a photo.

it looks fine, very cinematic.
But it indeed lack’s punchiness…

The test image is 1920x1080 size, showing in Gallery app, but due to auto keystone applied it cannot output at 1:1 pixel, this caused some fine pattern messed up.

I bought the ppm as a backup for an Epsom projector I use for training. The Epsom runs at 3500 lumen. In presentation mode in a room with no direct sunlight the ppm is adequate for the task…as a back up.
My other reason for buying this was to carry with me on canoe camping trips. At night in full dark with a 60 inch sized picture even normal mode is very good

2 Likes
Hi guys,
I watched tv series today on netflix and i noticed somthing really annoying.
When there is a black frame on the screen, i can see a a really annoying noise when im close to the screen.
My friend have the ppx 4835 and he said that its picture is better the ppm, and this thing makes me think that maybe its a problem with my unit.
Heres a video for example :

i was surprised how good it is with curtains closed -its certainly watchable - other projectors around £200 mark with curtains closed I couldn’t even see, this is watchable but obviously better in a darkened room

1 Like

Hi. Have you check the image->Sharpen value? If it’s set too high, you may have increased noise issue. Or another reason could be due to Netflix compression ratio or HD quality adjustment during lockdown. They did compromise due to high volume traffic. I watch Netflix with my appletv and saw some noise as well but when I switch over to appletv native movie or its screensavers, it’s super clear.

Thanks for replying.
The sharpness is around 15, so.i think this is not the problem.
Also worth noting, i tried netflix on my xiaomi mi tv box and i can also see this noise.
I think it is something on the lens, but i dont know what…

@Philips_Support_P can you please give some technical explanation about this noise? I have the same but its noticeable only when I’m reaaaaly close to the screen.
Thanks.

This ‘noise’ is present on all PicoPix Max’s. It’s an artifact of the video processing chip which is made more visible by the lower contrast ratio vs. the high brightness of the optical engine.

However don’t forget the expect usage scenario – it’s not designed for looking at the screen from a few inches away, or displaying a TV-sized image (much higher brightness than expected) – both these scenarios will make the inherent noise quite visible. In normal viewing the noise is invisible.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t say it’s invisible at all.

1 Like

Hi
The new upgrades 1.1.04 and the one before that …haven’t they kind of spoilt the picture quality? The last to last was fine…
Now I feel picture quality is dull and normal looks like energy mode.
I tried resetting hoping to go back to 1.1.02(if I’m not wrong) but resettng doesn’t do anything

I’ve just been testing and find that the ppm struggles to handle playing video in its OS. I’m running 1.1.03 I changed over to the new Amazon TV App and the quality is better but I find when large scenery pans it’s a bit jerky! I have just plugged in my Chrome cast and the image is better and there is no struggle to delivery a smooth image. Chromecast might not be the best but I’m finding it a lot better over the OS.