Internet Connection Issues

3 posts were split to a new topic: Netflix crashes after user profile is selected

I get this wrong date and time thing some days when I turn the PPM on too.
Sometimes it’s fine, other days it’ll take several minutes before both of these happen:

• Apps stop complaining that they have no internet
  • The time and date updates

I’ve never used a VPN.
Access point is a TP-Link TL-WPA7510KIT, which gives 5 & 2.4GHz. When the internet/time sorts itself out I can stream HD stuff with no issues, so I would say that the connection is pretty stable.

1 Like

You probably have the same SSID set for both 2,4GHz and 5GHz networks. So it tries to connect via 2,4GHz band and doesn’t succeed, then tries the 5GHz band with more success.
If this is the case, try naming the SSID for 5GHz something with 5 in the name.

Been having the same issues. MY wifi is spotty and the AptoidTV app is always showing a atime error message and it won’t let me pass the warning screen… Really frustrated that a simple thing such as wireless connectivity is hit and miss.

I am having the same issue as well… Worked perfectly fine yesterday and today none of the apps are working…!!! Did the the factory reset as well but no luck…

Please assist

Still takes a couple of minutes even with the projector joined to a 5GHz-only WiFi network.

Also having problem with getting the wifi working, it sees the SSID But it keeps dropping and then it reappears? It added both 2,4 & 5ghz SSID’s and in turns the PPM keeps trying to connect but drops within a second when its trying to connect to one the SSID.

I tested all kinds of ways, 2 routers( [D-Link DIR-868L & Netgear WNDR3700), mobile hotspot, internet connection at a friend and tested everything again with firmware 1.1. Nothing works

1 Like

It drops all these connection attempts, even the mobile hotspot? :scream:

Hey guys, recently I’ve updated to the latest patch and it seems like the problem is solved. Hope it helps :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just came back from troubleshooting the PPX with WiFi connection issues from @mic1985 who lives in my hometown. I took my fully working PPX with me and first he showed me his, where the unit would see the networks, connect to the one he had set (and also reset when I was there), only to not get any IP address and the WiFi to turn itself off completely. Each time we went back into the WiFi settings and turned the WiFi on, it would try to connect and then just turn the WiFi off by itself. Not even connecting to a hotspot would work.

So I took mine out of the bag and proceeded to connect it to the same WiFi network as he had tried. Lo and behold, my PPX did exactly the same as his! :astonished: I could not get it to connect to anything, not even my iPhone’s hotspot, the WiFi would just crash.

So we had successfully reproduced his issue on my unit which has worked perfectly fine so far at my home.

I then realized that the flat he lived in was bursting with WiFi networks. My laptop and iPhone were picking up at least 16, sometimes different than that even. I believe that the sheer amount of WiFi networks is causing something to overflow and crash the WiFi stack.

Good news is that I’ve managed to reproduce the issue, and got a log file of the unit while in that environment. So now the engineers may finally be able to discover what’s going on once I send in my findings.

For those that reported this issue here: how many networks do you see in your phone / laptop / PPX?

1 Like

Nice work and how interesting that yours started to misbehave also :thinking:

I guess to complete the test fully you’d take his ppm back to your place and verify that it behaves normally there too :wink:

I don’t live in a very densely populated area and I only see a handful of other networks, none of which is very strong.

However my ppm is currently heading back to Hong Kong :slightly_frowning_face: so I’ll have to wait until the replacement arrives before doing any more testing or obtaining logs.

1 Like

Once mine was back home, everything was perfectly fine again.

I’ve never seen equipment behave differently only based on location (environment was similar, i.e. both indoors and at roughly the same room temperatures)

1 Like

This is not the first time I have seen a device with WiFi Issues, where there are multiple WiFi signals in the vicinity. I thing I’d recommend to do and test is change the WiFi channel. Generally the issue is when you are using the same WiFi channel as several others, causing the drop. Get a tool to identify the channels and use a different one (or the least common one). Also try changing the b/w 2.5 and 5 Ghz if that is an option.

1 Like

Hi,

Your right to point that out and I also looked in to that. I was already on seperate channels from all the network in the vicinity on both 2,4 and 5ghz.
But its still weird that the PPM gets confused so quickly. Even my rpi zero or a 10 year old computer that both don’t have a very powerful wifi chip/antenna work fine.

2 Likes

The problem is this BT5 chip which shares the WiFi module and also the 2.4GHz antenna. If there wasn’t so much demand for BT5 I would have stuck with tried-and-tested BT4. But we regularly update the network module driver, so with time it’ll get better.

3 Likes

All -

When having internet / wifi issues, your first step should be to get the Analiti app. It will show you very detailed statistics about your current connection, local wifi environment and channels, and a fairly reliable speed / ping / jitter / load time graph. Try putting your router on a better channel, location, or orienting movable antennas to get a the best signal to your PPM. -40 to -50dBm is desirable, -30dBm is too strong, anything less than about 20dB over the local “noise floor” from surrounding interference will lead to poor wifi performance. For example, if your neighbors are using channel 153 (with analiti reporting a strength of -75dB on 153), your signal on the overlapping channel 149 needs to be around -55dB ! Fortunately, analiti will show you channels with less overlap in the “wifi channels” tab. Moving your router / access point to one of those open channels can make a huge difference. Be aware, also, that certain “DFA” channels that are partially reserved for weather and military radar can be very problematic, especially if you just rebooted your router!

Take baseline measurements in Analiti, factory reset, and test again with the app after the reset. These steps will greatly help others help you troubleshoot!

1 Like

Hey, I am experiencing the same problem I think, I guess version 1.1.2 still hasnt fixed this issue? Its rather annoying to not be able to play with my PPM. I cant do anything with it now… I tried both 5 ghz and 2.4, both wifi’s disconnected and the PPM returned to home screen everytime I tried… any help would be appreciated!

hi
as advised using 5ghz.only issue i signal range is limied.cant i used the 2.5ghz or not advised.I live in duplex apartment with maybe 5-6 neighbouring signals around me

By all means try to find what works for you, in our view the 2,4GHz band is often more crowded than the 5GHz but if it gives you the range you need whereas the 5GHz does not, then that’s what you got to use.

2 Likes

Oh .So no risk of internet issues I have been reading about here.?

1 Like