Is 1080p native

@ronaldtai sefton is wrong and philips is using native correctly.
Let me put you into a hypothetical situation. Lets say you have a MONITOR, so something sitting on your desk, that internally uses the similar techology to make 4 pixels from 1 led source.

You do not know how the system works, you only see the end result. If all in all you see 1900x1080 pixels, please tell me what is the native resolution of that monitor? is it native 1900x1080, or you claim it is something else?

Your wall is your monitor when you use a projector. if you see 1900x1080 unique pixels on the wall trust me that is a NATIVE 1080p resolution. The process how this was achieved does not change that fact as long as it is achieved. If they would have used “support 1080p” that would mean a bad thing.

Philips did not buy a chip from TI and made an invention on top of it. TI sold to Philips something that generates 1900x1080 image. it actually physically cannot generate less than that, it is not a feature you can switch off and get a different resolution.

3 Likes

The TI DLPC3436 is the display controller for the DLP230NP device used in the PPM. In the programming guide there are commands for controlling the actuators as well as controlling the XPR image size. The pixel shifting is controlled by software and can easily be disabled to give you 960x540 resolution, the native resolution of the DMD array.

There is a reason that TI states that it ‘displays 1920×1080 pixels on the screen’ and not that it is a ‘native 1080p’ device.

@Sefton_Bates answer the question I asked above. Im eager to hear the response :slight_smile:

Let’s say that Philips used different wording i.e. True 1080p, not Native 1080p you would still have something against that :slight_smile:

With this projector you see 1920x1080 pixels, so it has a display resolution of 1920x1080. It is a different term. See how hard that was? It has a native resolution of 960x540, which are the actual physical pixels of the array.

If you really want to use the term ‘native resolution’ you need to qualify it carefully. Much like Optoma with their 4k projectors that use exactly the same XPR pixel shifting technology. For example the Optoma UHL55 which lists the native resolution as “4K UHD (3840 x 2160) @ 60Hz with XPR Technology”.

My only objection is that Philips have specifically used the term “native 1080p” and it is absolutely not a native 1080p DMD. It is a specific technical term, and Philips have misused it.

1 Like

@Sefton_Bates, you have to get off your expert stand and into layman terms.

Look at the first question in this group and the user’s reaction. 95% of the population uses term “native 1080p” in the way Philips is using. 5% professionals are using it as you are. Your post that Philips has lied has caused 95% of people reading this post to think they will not see a Full HD picture, which is bullshit as they will. and this is not the only user who reacted like that on the forum. That is also why using Native 1080p is ok.

If this projector was being built and marketed by people who weren’t audio visual professionals, I would totally understand. They’d still be wrong, but it would be understandable. But Philips is one of the largest electronics companies in the world. They absolutely are professionals, so there is no reason for them to do this unless they were trying to be deliberately misleading about the specifications of the projector. Why couldn’t they just call it a 1080p projector and state it has a ‘display resolution’ of 1920x1080?
If my comments have caused people to question the product and research for themselves, then that is a good thing. People need to understand what they are buying. We are backing a piece of technology, not a toy, so specifications matter. There are plenty of other specs that have been incorrect or that have changed at the last minute (bluetooth audio or 4 corner correction, for example).
Regardless, it is clear that you want to keep calling this a ‘native 1080p’ projector. I, respectfully, disagree. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Frankly, who cares if it is “native” or not so long we get a 1080p on the wall…
As a user, I am interested in the end result, not how we get to it! This is not a 2000€ projector!
Is this worth so much discussion?
If it does, perhaps you guys should search amazon and comment on all the native 1080p projectors on there (many at around 200€😂) nearly every full HD projectors is “native” 1080p!

4 Likes

I get your point, but marketing bullshit kills science… Just because 95% haven’t the knowledge of what is happening doesn’t justify that the other 5% should remain silent. Then there would be no education at all.

I think what we all can agree on is:

The image should be 1080p. The projection part, the DMD, is 960x540.

What all have to acknowledge is, a monitor/display/TV (at least the modern ones) is not a projector. Therefore the equalisation is a bit difficult.
Years ago there have been devices (tube monitors) which had the ability for different resolutions. Some of you (the older ones) will remember ;). Nobody at that time discussed something like native resolution. But if someone is looking for a comparison, one should start here.
Quick recap (but very simple): There are 3 beams which get directed by magnetic fields to form an image on a special window.

@Sefton_Bates And I respectfully agree to disagree :slight_smile:

As a professional, you live in your own professional world of names, and avoid the “real world” around you. But you have to level down to the masses and acknowledge the masses. You don’t go to your parents and talk “phase shifting resolutions” because your parent would look at you and think “what is he talking about?”.

Philips does not produce product for 5% of professionals, they produce product for the masses - thus they need to speak the language masses understand. When you want to say to someone find something on the internet you don’t say “search it on online, or search it on the internet” you say “google it”. And in this case, fighting the fight that something is not Native 1080p in the masses produces the thought “WTF so I cannot see FullHD image in the end, like with all others, it is a SCAM”. Which was proven several times on different sites in this case.

“Native resolution” is the commonly used word to define how many pixels you SEE on the screen in the maximum resolution settings on a monitor. so Native 1080p or Native 1920x1080 defines the picture resolution you see projected on the wall as well.

When in a thousand years human kind evolutes and gets the fly’s 300fps super vision I will gladly protest and say this is not a Native 1080p, but since human eye is still at processing speed of 30fps, it still stand.

Respect the masses and try to teach them in a way their world don’t come down. I guess in a way our conversation was educational too :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time too :slight_smile: We can continue the discussion over a beer :slight_smile:

So you are saying that technically it would be possible to get 120hz , half HD? That would be kinda cool for something requiring extreme smoothness in motion

From browsing the documentation there is no mention of such mode. You can get 540p at 240Hz from the DLP chipset, even in 3D, but I wouldn’t bet the application processor supports it (and even less likely, the whole firmware stack).

Yeah - I believe you are correct. I don’t see where I would need it, but the techie in me likes the idea :slight_smile:

Technically you will be able to use iphone timelapse mode and see two projection that is missing half of the pixels :slight_smile:

This is interesting, actually. Has anyone with a 120fps+ camera tried filming the pixels?

I had proposed this in the Facebook group some time ago stating that high end phones do have 240fps nowadays. Mine has it but I don’t have the ppm yet

SO - how does this machine achieve this:

One of my main reasons for backing this was the 4K display. In this forum it has barely come up. What should my expectations be for when I finally receive my PPM???

4k supported doesn’t mean it will display a 4k image!!! It means that it can take a 4k signal and display it to the ppm “native” image (full HD 1080p).
It is the same with any projector…
You might be tempted by a cheap Full HD 1080p supported projector which has a native resolution of 480p! It will display the 1080p image with 480p resolution on the wall…
The ppm will always display in 1080p resolution whatever the input signal…

3 Likes

It’s also confirmed that HDMI EDID does not contain any 4k modes, so “4k supported” should be interpreted as the PPM being capable of decoding 4k video from internal sources (displayed as 1080p)

1 Like

With the exception of the corner case we read in another thread, I doubt anyone will want the PPM to do downscaling from 4k, anyways.