It's here! - First Impressions and Thoughts

Today I finally got my device - I got the tracking number on April 10, so it took a bit over 3 weeks for it to arrive after that.

Initial thoughts:

• lost a bit of time trying to do online software update before I read on the forum that the update server is down
  • had to copy the update.zip twice because first time around I had formatted the USB drive to ExFAT instead of the required FAT(32). This would have been useful information to have in the offline update instructions
  • after the update was installed (progress bar had completed), the projector picture went away but the projector fan was still running on low speed. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to turn it on, if it was stuck or the update was just taking a very long time. I gave it some 10-15 minutes before I have up and pressed the power button and it turned on and everything seems fine
  • I’ve just taken it for a test drive with my 4-year-old watching some cartoons I’m quite impressed by the auto-focus and the corner correction
  • The AirMote operation feels a bit clunky, it doesn’t feel that well-integrated into the operating system - scrolling is unintuitive and it’s sometimes a bit hard to understand whether you need to double-click somewhere. But it works well enough and certainly on par with many smart TV remotes out there
  • So far the overall quality feels nice - the software after the update) is quite polished but Aptoide and the scary permissions warning you get when you want to install apps is a bit off-putting.
  • The hardware certainly looks and feel very nice but is much heavier than I expected.

Anyway, great product so far and thanks to the entire team that I’m sure have worked very hard to get this product into the hands of backers and customers!

(

4 Likes

Got mine today, UK, Backerkit no 77xx.
Well put together package, but bit deflated really, after so many months wait.
Projector very noisy, not very bright, video playback not smooth, dull colours.
Software update not making a difference. Will give another try but likely sending back.
Might be the high expectations, but definitely not worth the money and the agony of so many months waiting.

2 Likes

Firmware version 1.1.0 will have a lot of improvements in noise levels, which will allow use at the Normal brightness mode, and other performance improvements as well.

Could you test it again this evening in a darker room with the power plugged in, and check the colors and brightness then?

Also when you say that the video playback isn’t very smooth, what kind of content are you playing, where are you playing it from, and which app are you using to play it with?

Hi tried a couple of movies on Netflix and YouTube. A bit choppy playback.
Tried in totally dark room. Turned up brightness and saturation. Bit improved.
Anyway, I guess that’s how far this little toy goes.
But that noise is terrible. Hope next software update does something about that.

1 Like

Hi All.
A couple of days ago I posted that I received the projector and made some small negative comments.
I just wanted to say, for the sake of fairness, that after the latest firmware 1.1 update things have improved dramatically. The most annoying issue, fan noise, almost gone.
Overall rather worth the waiting.
Take care

9 Likes

Late delivery (made me wait all day! Gits!l

First impressions, great build quality from the unit, surprisingly heavy (I’m handling it like a newborn child currently)

Remote is terrible in IR only mode, adequate in bluetooth mode, just a bit cheap - but actually does the job fine.

Tripod is a ‘get you by’ item, I’ll upgrade it pretty quickly.

Updated the firmware, paired the remote, remembered NOT to update Netlfix and MxPro.

In a room with medium ambient light, the output was good, I honestly had no idea what mode it was in, but as it was plugged in and the fans were quite audible, I’m guessing possibly presentation mode (?)

Netlfix works fine - Plex works fine, although it was a PITA to enter UN’s and Passwords while the app was in portrait mode, on its side! But fine now in ‘TV mode’

So far so good fellas, well done.
@Philips_Support_P still some work to do software wise, but not bad, not bad at all :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes
  • Search for set orientation or landscape on the forum for a solution for the sideways apps
  • Use any USB keyboard you may have to enter credentials
  • The unit doesn’t boot in Presentation mode the very first time, it will be Normal or Energy Saver until you change it, after which it will remember that setting for the next boot.
  • The FW 1.1.0 will blow a lot quieter, im running a beta version and the noise level drop is astounding. I don’t know if I’m allowed to share by how much but you will be pleased.
  • Pair the PPM with a nice grey or silver screen Or cloth, and watch the image rival your TV!
4 Likes

Cheers IvoG, if that’s Normal, then that’s impressive.

I’ll take on board all your tips buddy.

The fan wasn’t horrendous, it was literally 10" from ear, and I was playing nothing, so it was to be expected…

I have an average Epson TW6700 already at home, and I’m not disappointed in what this unit delivers. I’m not going to compare it directly, because they are totally different, but I’m glad I’m not disappointed so far.

The orientation issue was only on initial setup on plex, but I’ll download it anyway for future use.

My neighbour cannot wait to get his now - I’m hoping its on the next flight this next week, fingers crossed for him.

1 Like

So is there a post somewhere that lists why use MXPro, or VLC or Media Player and what they can and cant do?
I cant get MX Player to do much at all with any Network drive or USB so Im not sure why i would use it? VLC seems to pick up my Network drive ok and Media Player seems to pick up USB ok.

Hello I finally received mine😏
It was one month of patience after they send it!

Picture quality is not what expected! Netflix app seems to be a web version and is not very responsive not easy to use! Fan is still noisy after updating to v1.1. Sound is very low!

It was a bit of disappointment! Maybe I had higher expectations from the pictures and videos published from screeneo!

I would suggest to find a way of improving picture quality, sound and Netflix app to be native!

1 Like

Just got mine… And will have a meeting in half an hour… Oh well, I can wait another hour or so to start playing with it.

2 Likes

Hi @Philips_Support_N. Don’t want to be using this forum but the email account gets ignored! It’s been nearly three weeks and I’ve had no response and two further emails and still I get no response. Can you get someone to respond to me please.

Hey, did you have time to play around with it? Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. Its been a pleasant experience so far. My main usage is streaming apps and all apps I use work great on the ppm: Netflix, Viaplay, Telenor streaming (includes HBO nordic). So far I only had problems with a Bluetooth speaker that was way out of sync, but it has worked great with 2 other Bluetooth speakers. Have brought it with me on 2 trips and now I will always ask for a hotel room with a big white wall :grin:. For me it was, so far, worth the wait. I also tried gaming and blueray with my ps4 and its a great experience playing games on a 120" screen. Some bugs are off course there and it’s not perfect, but the updates so far has really improved it, so hopefully more updates will make it even better.
This will never replace my TV, since my living room is very bright. All in all a fun gadget to have a I hope to have many pleasant movie night in front of me.

This is my first projector and I have almost no experience from projectors before I received my ppm.

6 Likes

Mine has arrived too in the UK. Seeing how long I waited for this I powered it up straight away to make sure it wasn’t faulty! It seems to work just fine and I’m blown away actually. Having had many mediocre and poor pico projectors before, this blows them all away. Auto focus works well and corner to corner sharpness is very good with only slight lens chromatic abberation. White field uniformity is generally excellent with a very slight yellowing at the very very top towards the right but it is slight and you need to look for it. Fan noise is quiet and Netflix looks great. I think some have unrealistic expectations of a pico projector. My expectations are met and exceeded.

7 Likes

First thoughts! Looks quality, crisp image and brightness is good even in daytime indoors, speakers are pretty decent not tinny, not too loud though which is good and bad I guess. You have to be behind the device to use the remote control as the bundled remote doesn’t use bluetooth.

This is a quality item, you won’t be disappointed :smiley:

3 Likes

? It does, but you have to pair it - crucial info missing in Quick Start Guide

2 Likes

Try these steps:

And please come up with things that are still missing from this list. I will create a fresh wiki thread

2 Likes

Hey Mike thanks for the heads up on that! :smiley: A quick question? Is there an iOS app for controlling the PPM?

1 Like

no apps available yet! You can vote for one here: Control PPMax with a dedicated App

1 Like