It's here! - First Impressions and Thoughts

First impression is really good. Normal mode with connected power is bright enough a cloudy day (which we had when I started it up) - and fan is not so loud (after updating to latest firmware).

I also succeeded installing Com hem play (a Swedish streaming service I have) from apkpure and with set orientation app it works, even though it complains about it must be connected to Google play first. But I just pressed ok and the app started and I could watch some movies.

I guess I will be keeping this little gadget . :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No it doesn’t, at least mine didn’t.

PPM works great! Tested Netflix, Videoland, DS PLayer…All Okay.

Still missing some codecs for MX player I think and now trying to get the KPN ITV app working.

3 Likes

Not too clear is it?

I received my PPM today and I love it! It’s small and quiet and very bright – exactly what I was hoping for. I’m also very happy with the UX; The menus are clear and easy to use. Feels awesome to be able to turn my bedroom into a cozy cinema. Well done everyone @ Philips!

5 Likes

I got mine last week and my first impressions are quite good. Autofocus works good, picture is good, in a dim-lit room even with eco-mode. The user interface takes a little getting used to, but will work. Still a bit disppointed about Chromecast not really being chomecast but miracast, especially because of 4-corner-correction not working with an external HDMI-source. Also disappointing is that apps like KPN iTV and NPO Start (both Dutch mainstream TV apps) aren’t working because Google Play services isn’t available. It should be and I hope Philips can still change that in the future. If others can do it…

What I miss is an option to trigger focus (or manually focus in/out), which sometimes is just a little off but corrects satisfactory after picking up the PPM and tilting it forward (kind of an ugly solution). It would be nice if there was an RC-button-action for that.

Overall, quite happy.

Edit: Just read that alexh got KPN working (“by side loading Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework and Google Play Services.”), so I’ll try that tonight.

3 Likes

If I understand your request correctly, you can trigger autofocus with the remote control pressing the button between volume up and down. And after pressing that button, you can also manually adjust the focus if necessary.

1 Like

Autofocus manual adjustment ?

Is that a question? Not sure what answer you are looking for, but yes, you can adjust the focus after triggering autofocus.

2 Likes

Thank you, I didn’t know that yet!

2 Likes

Sorry I meant…we have to do manual adjustment ? Autofocus ahd do it’s job no?
So give tips how u made the auto work

Autofocus usually works by a system that interprets feedback received via images of the plane that needs to be in focus. The interpretation however might not be totally accurate or to your liking, and that’s when you need to manually adjust the focus.

If the image is soft by itself for instance, the autofocus might misjudge the proper focus. To counter that the PPX projects a pattern for it to focus on, but this pattern is in the middle of the screen. Perhaps you have your projector angled and want another area of the screen to be in focus, like the lower region for the subtitles.
The pattern is not displayed while using the external sources, so that’s another reason why the autofocus might be slightly off, needing manual correction.

2 Likes

So it won’t refocus if we move it a few times ?

Yes if movement is detected the autofocus will trigger. What @franzli and I were talking about is a manual adjustment / fine tuning AFTER the autofocus is finished.

Got it …thx…btw any help required do tell me…

alexh got KPN working (“by side loading Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework and Google Play Services.”), so I’ll try that tonight.

Tried this, but it didn’t work for me (Google services framework didn’t install). @alexh Maybe you can elaborate how you did this? Did you just download apk’s and install them? Or have you used ADB sideload maybe? (Idon’t know if that is even possible with PPM, I’m not that computer-savvy :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Received it. Meets my expectations.

The only issue I am facing right now is of wifi. I am not able to connect older WEP access points. It connects to newer wpa2 psk without any issues. I even tried the manual setup but no luck.
@Philips_Support_P can you please suggest a solution.

2 Likes

IMHO it’s because of this https://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/WifiConfiguration.AuthAlgorithm#SHARED
(Android API 28 = Android 9). So solution is simple - use security that is not easily compromised - because WEP it’s like no password at all

1 Like

Hi @yrgt we don’t officially support WEP. You may be able to connect via hidden Android settings but we don’t recommend it. Please use WPA2 if possible.

1 Like

Thanks guys. It worked

1 Like