Kodi Rockchip issues with PicoPix Max

Thanks for looking into this matter. Hoping for a solution to this issue soon.

Hello Philips,

You absolutely must fix this issue with Kodi. This is another promise made on the story page on indiegogo that was a huge reason many people bought the projector.
Me along with many others believed this to be a perfect solution to use Kodi natively on the projector to connect to our home NAS and play our media library. I even had a chat with a member of your team via messenger prior to paying my pledge for the perk, to confirm that Kodi will be available and work exactly as it does on my pc/phone etc. There cannot be an excuse that this is not your responsibility. If you used Kodi as a marketing benefit to entice customers, and then also confirmed directly with customers that this will be a fully working standard features, then it is your responsibility to deliver on this.

Please do not disappoint

3 Likes

Hello,

Again, Philips is not the manufacturer nor dev of Kodi, if any issues appear, you must talk directly to Kodi. We already spoke with them and the only way is to convince Rockchip to collaborate with them.
If you have an issue with Whatsapp, you wont talk to Apple or Samsung but to Facebook. We didn’t pre loaded Kodi in our projector neither.
We cannot be blamed for each and every apps that could have a small bug on the appstore.
Hope you can understand.

We will send one sample to Kodi for them to check, bur this is the only thing we can do.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P , if it is connected to Rockchip only then it is up to Kodi and it is not device-specific since a lot of devices are using Rockchips. How come then they say “not going to do anythiing on device-specific problems”? Also as far as I read on this topic Rockchips were supported from Kodi.

Hi @Philips_Support_N, I fully understand your point and you are 100% right. In fact, I appreciate the effort being done to send a sample to Kodi and push Rockchip for a solution.

However, I think most of the reactions come from the fact that:

• Kodi is specifically mentioned as a supported app on the story page of Indiegogo. It runs indeed on the ppm but since no hardware decoding is available, it can’t play video files smoothly. I would suggest to remove the Kodi text from the story page to avoid further issues :slight_smile:
  • Secondly, Kodi is an app which runs on almost every decently powered android device. It is one of the strong points of Kodi :slight_smile: Therefore, it’s not a stretch to imagine that Kodi would run equally well on the PPM. That is probably the reason you added Kodi as a supported app on Indiegogo in the first place and completely understandable from your end. Seeing that it is not fully supported after all is disappointing which causes a lot of the reactions.

We’ll see what Rockchip can come up with and hopefully a solution can be found but in the mean time, I would suggest to remove the Kodi text in the campaign just to be sure :slight_smile:

Good luck and thanks a lot for the honest communication!
Keep us posted if either Kodi or Rockchip comes up with something! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks!

It’s starting to look like the Pico is pritty useless and your story page on Indiegogo a bit of a joke. How much teasting did you do? You can buy a DLP from China that’s does most of the functions you promised, I was expecting so mutch more from Phillips it’s pritty disappointing if you don’t fix this. The only thing that is currently stacking up is the brightness and battery the rest is looking pritty poor. Did you have work work experience students developing this ? I won’t to love the Pico but am now realy concerned .

1 Like

Robin, please show us the exact link with the same features

I don’t get your point. Philips already made clear that they can’t do anything to support Kodi. Its Kodis / Rockchips fault. You can’t blame Philips for every app that doesn’t run. I think they thought Kodi would run but they can’t test every app thats in the store for sure.

Hello

I know but Kodi it’s a pritty big app for many users I would have thought it would be on the top of a test list. I think it just feels overall that the testing was a bit weak

Robin, we tested the application we preloaded, that’s why they are pre loaded.
They are thousand and thousand of apps to be tested on the store and we simply can’t do this.

Concerning the chinese product: can you forward the link to me :slight_smile:

Hi @vzhivkov, Kodi have rejected Rockchip-related patches from other manufacturers. So we will not attempt to do this. I’ll talk to Rockchip to find a solution from their side. But again it’s difficult to say what a 3rd party program will and will not support. VLC, Netflix, Smart-YouTube, MX Player and in fact all other apps do support hardware acceleration on PicoPix Max, so how come only Kodi has this issue? Food for thought.

1 Like

Did anyone try FTMC or RKMC ? Those are forks for kodi and rockchip

I tried both. Both of them are dated. RKMC is really a dumb down version of old Jarvis version. Was crashing in Picopix Max. None of them are supported anymore. I think they last updated couple of years ago.

I prefer the old version of Kodi (xbmc) so I would be fine with spmc type of kodi as long as no issue with decoding. Is any of those run okay or same shit as kodi

I received my unit today and tried kodi, spmc. Both do not work good. But just now after a bit of search I run FTMC and it works great! I can play all formats and some 60bts 4k tips runs with a little lag over wifi, should not be a problem with wired lan for 4k with FTMC

1 Like

Anyone tried MrMC on the PPM? Sounds like it’s at some point supported Rockchip devices.

Do you have a link to download FTMC you have tried? I tried it and it was dated and couldn’t install any new plugins either.

I wonder if Plex works as a solution for this problem? I personally use Kodi but would not mind switching to plex if it solves all issues :slight_smile: