Kodi Rockchip issues with PicoPix Max

Im not saying there isnt an issue. I believe you 100%.

But a user above said they used ftmc and it worked for them. Would be good if they can play their movies to see if they can replicate your issue since in theory ftmc is a fork FOR rockchip support?

Either way spinning in circles is all we got till after cny when they talk to rockchip.

FTMC might work. But the problem is that FTMC is seriously dated. The UI is old. And doesn’t support new audio and video formats.

It’s based on 16.1 Jarvis which was discontinued more than 2 years ago. They pulled the plug on it long time ago.

Great!
Hopefully, we will find a fix for this.
Thanks

Maybe you’ve been doing this, but just to be sure: Kodi will show of it’s deciding in HW or SW in its overlay (default: O). I use this to be sure what’s going on. The extended overlay (Ctrl+Shift+O) shows dropped frames in the decoder stage.

I have the same experience with Kodi on my PPM. It’s definitely not smooth. It makes me sad because I like Kodi and use it a lot if I get the chance. My RPi3 works a lot better than this :frowning:
Actually, my old projector (Laser Beam Pro) is also using a rockchip chipset and I thought Kodi works a bit slow but the playback was okay. Well perhaps it’s also because it was only 768p.

I really hope Kodi will someday work smoothly on PPM. Good luck Philips :smiley:

Also KODI crashes when trying to install any addons. I Need the enigma2 addon to access my linux based enigma2 sat tv receiver. This is not possible at the moment which is a big downer… would be an easy way to get sat tv to the ppm.

Hello PPM Team,
firstly greetings from Germany.
I must also say something about the Kodi Issues.
I work very much with Kodi and read also about Kodi in your PPM story that youself wrote.
And the app was in forth place of apps that you have written there, like a Killerfeature.
You advertised it as a feature like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
It’s unprofessionell to advertise things that don’t work well and i hope you find a solution.
Thanks in advance
Walter

1 Like

Hi folks. Those who are technically inclined, what would you suggest is the best way to measure Kodi performance and log it? We need measurable data otherwise we can’t make a case to Rockchip.

For netflix crash issue, I was able to get enough logs and they’ve identified the problem. But for Kodi I’m having a hard time. It’s not enough to say ‘performance is bad’ :roll_eyes:

We need to find a movie or video clip that will cause the performance to not be good, then share that with you somehow and have the Kodi overlay showing the dropped frames or have the laggy performance clearly showing. Then you can tweak or send the same file to the Kodi or Rockchip developers.

First thing, navigating within Kodi menu is lagging. So for the menu, I guess screenvideo showing PPM navigation VS an other box with smooth navigation should do the job ?

1 Like

I think there’s an option in Kodi to overlay some logs like the framerate.
The important thing to improve is the playback. Smoother navigation would be good to have though.

UPDATE: In Settings / System / Logging, you can turn on the Enable debug logging. I think the normal should be 60fps in both navigation and video playback. On my PC, I get 60fps on average. On PPM, it’s playing around 20-30fps even during playback.

2 Likes

PhilipsPrashant this is important to a lot of people, Why not send them a pp max so they can run the test and solve all the problems. So much as gone wrong lets fix this one, and most people have not evengot there projector 4 months down the line

1 Like

How did you measure 20-30 fps on PPMax? Guesstimate based on 60 fps on your PC?

1 Like

They have multiple test units.

The problem is not that they can’t test. The problem is to verifiably demonstrate a problem that’s more than “improve the performance” because that’s open-ended. It’s easy for a sub-vendor to say “looks fine to us.”

The specific request we had from engineering was some debug log pointing out the problem. At minimum some benchmarks vs. other apps or products.

1 Like

The overlay shows how many frames are dropped etc, this should be filmed by one of you to demonstrate if it really does on PPM

1 Like

Enclosed log with low FPS on PPM

Around 18/20 FPS

FPS log on PPM

3 Likes

What resolution do you have set for kodi ui?

Seems that CPU0 shows 100% load, which may cause the low FPS. - Will redo the test on my PPM.

Thanks a lot.

@ anyone else who has a FireTV, can you do the same thing and send me a video please? I don’t have my FireTV where I am stuck at the moment. It uses the same GPU but the performance is much better. It will clearly demonstrate the issue to rockchip.

1080p