My PicoPix Max 10-Day Review

We explored both Roku and FireOS. FireOS isn’t ready for this kind of integration and Roku is still on the cards, but none of them could align with our cost and schedule targets. We’re for sure moving towards Android TV / FireOS / Roku based interface for future products, whenever it’s possible to do so.

It’s also important to note that a lot of tech consumers are picky and play favoritism. With three TV OS’s on the table, anything you pick will alienate some fans of the other ecosystems. It’s not like there’s a single best answer.

I’d personally avoid FireOS completely, even in favor of the current AOSP situation if nothing else. I’d also argue against Roku for my own device as I know how to create Android apps. This is me being selfish because I don’t demand access to DRM’d streaming ecosystems :stuck_out_tongue: For me, the biggest feature Android TV would really add over a good AOSP device is Live Channel support which lets the box be controlled much more like a normal cable TV box.

Also, I haven’t experienced any app lag or latency or anything. The arrow keys respond quite fast and videos load up in good time. I have to imagine that it’s up to the specific apps you run if the UI gets slowed down. I’ve for sure used Roku devices that are slow to load up many screens and just generally laggy, much more-so than my PicoPix Max.

I actually would find it beneficial if there was options (even if it costs extra for the us) to have FireTV or Roku or some other well known TV based interface.

A roku stick costs roughly $50.00
A FireStick usually cost $35.00

If you are able to just create the software image to flash to the projector, I think most people would not have an issue paying this fee. (benefit of not having to plug in an external stick into the projector… just some food for thought)

Our philosophy is not to charge for value add features like this. We would like to offer everyone the best experience possible. Technically or due to business reasons, we can’t use another OS right now. Whenever we manage to make it I’ll try my best to offer it as a free upgrade. (Don’t quote me on that though!).

4 Likes

I’m curious as to how your prime video is fine - mine, as well as others’ who have commented here is terrible.
Low res/blocky images.
From a fire stick it’s great, the built-in app, terrible.

Not really sure what to say …I have not used it much, other than to watch the last couple of episodes of Treadstone, but had no issues with blocky imagery or lower resolutions.

In my case, using a firestick for sure had a crisper and somewhat brighter image. but no real issues with built in Prime.

Hello @tpetrilli, may I ask you the size of your projection? in this cases…size matter…
and a very big screen or in a very small you may not advice any differences!
thank you!

When setting up the device I was running with about a 30" screen. Once done, for watching media, it was roughly 80" diagonal

:ok_hand:

… also from Philips :wink:

Guys, make a short throw, 4000 lumens projector with 16 ms (1 frame at 60 FPS) delay under a 1000 EUR and my money is yours, if you are first that is :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

By now you’ll have had about 2,5 to 3 months of use under your belt, and a few FW updates. Could you write up a follow-up post in this thread where you comment on things you’ve learned, achieved, ran into, got fixed between then and now? I really like the thoroughness and attention to detail you put into your review.

2 Likes

Hi vzhivkov, thanks for the insight.
My PPM is being delivered finally. I was thinking of getting a Sonos Beam.
Can you tell me if you have tested your Sonos Beam with the PPM to see if it works well please? and if the sound it good?
I don’t want to buy one and find out it doesn’t work well.
Thanks

Hi @David_Dann
Welcome to this forum

The SONOS support is I the road map of Philips for the PPM, but it’s not implemented yet.

Hello David,
I still don’t having even a tracking number for my PPM. So it will take some time before I can answer your question. There is no native support for Sonos (yet) on PPM. However there are a few workarounds that I will test for sure. Appart from that I just love the sound of my Beam with IKEA Symfonisk lamps as rears. The sound is very realistic. There are downsides of Sonos speakers but it would be too much offtopic to write them here and explain about each and every of them. I will do what it takes to be able to use my PPM with my Sonos surround system. Hope I will succeed.

Many ARM-based system-on-chip (SOCs) do not have a battery-backed real-time clock.

2 Likes

hey great review! - so im interested on how you got your bluetooth speaker working. I managed to pair mine but the sound continued to come out of the pico speaker

I paired mine with Libratone Bluetooth speaker and it finds it without fail.
I’m partially deaf so rely on lip-reading. That makes me really sensitive to lip-synch, and can confirm that the PicoPix Max is superb - undetectable audio/video delay.

2 Likes

Hey there, I love your detailed post and to be honest I’m such a fan too.

However, I’m facing some issues with charging right now and I’d like to ask if your Max charges (has the power indicated LED lit up) when you use your Nintendo Switch adapter?

1 Like

Great Review!!! thanks for sharing!!!