NEW: Colour adjustment app

What about the RGB color range might be mapped to 16-235. Is this app using the full range or just on top of the maybe range limited to 16-235 ?

Thanks for this!

I have observed that the brightness level is still different based on whether it is plugged in [bright] and when on battery power [dim].

Changing the RGB values all the way down when plugged in will yield a bright green image, whereas on battery power will yield a dimmer but rather viewable image.

Is there something that is a result of this? Cheers!

I am doing this:

• reset of the setting per instructions (plug, flash, unplug, change brightness mode)

• reboot the ppm (doesn’t seem to matter but just for measure)

• Start with the ppm plugged, mode “normal”

• open the application, immediately fan speed goes to “presentation”/liftoff level of noise, image brightness seems “normal”, Look in the app is shown as 3 (i have not changed it!), red slider looks almost maxed out at 980. Hard to say if brightness actually changes when the app starts as the first image is very bright. I would bet on no.

• Unplug, fan goes back to “normal”, if I exit and re-enter the app, Fan doesn’t change. Look is shown as 1: red channel is in the 600s.

• Plug again, fan stays “normal”

• Open app. Fan stays normal. Look is 3, red channel is 6xx. Image brightness is “normal”

• I still have never touched the rgb sliders.

• something similar happens if I start from ‘power saving’, first time I launch the app the fan goes to “normal” level until I unplug/plug ac.

The Looks are pretty cool, by the way.

1 Like

More info:

• on my projector, plugging/unplugging AC switches between Look 1 (unplugged) and 3 (ac).

• fresh starting the app after a reset, brings the fan, but not not the brightness, to the next level. For instance, if I start the app in power saving, it spins the fan at “normal” speed. If I then go to Image settings and switch to “normal”, the brightness changes up, the fan stays at same speed

• In power saving starting the app when on AC always spins the fan to “normal”. Starting the app on batter only the first time.

• In normal, starting the app either on AC/battery spins the fan to “presentation” only sometimes but always does on the first run.

• Plugging/unplugging while the app is running seems to be a factor, too.

I installed the app and did a first impression run. Straight out of the box it’s not that intuitive, perhaps one of the test images could include some instructions in a later iteration?

The looks 1 and 3 look different, all the others appear the same to me. I’ll test this further tomorrow.

Hi guys thanks a lot for the feedback. Think of this app as “write only”, it doesn’t reliably read and update the UI based on external events. But it will write the values correctly when you change them.

So I tried the color adjustment app, here are my takeaway.

Pro

• Good selection of pictures for calibration
  • Intuitive UI. (Easier what the existing image adjustment setting for brightness / contrast… using up and down around for adjustment is not really intuitive)
  • lots of available “Looks”

Cons

• no brightness / contrast / saturation available within the app for a full control of image setting in one place
  • UI a bit small
  • I have Green flash when switching between “looks”
  • “Looks” actual setting is not reflected in the rgb setting below so we don’t know what actually changed. But I did notice a difference in image colors between all the “looks”
  • I find the word “Looks” a bit inaccurate. Maybe it should be renamed “Preset”

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P explained that Looks and RGB settings are not related and entirely independent. The RGB sliders actually change the current going through each LED in the light source, thus modifying how bright they are (and how hot they get). In this way you can make the light source “more red” or “less blue”, by adjusting the relative brightness.

Looks are instead an image processing feature of the DLP system. If I understand correctly they are part of the “color coordinates adjustment” system in then DLP chipset. In this case, color is adjusted by changing how the mirrors in the dlp move.

Thanks for the explanation. But then I wonder how to have a visual indication of the “Looks” impact on top of the image provided. Sometimes the difference is very subtle.

I can confirm that the fan kicks off harder once you open the app even without changing anything.
My initial impression is that this isn’t something that would be appropriate for mass consumer use.
I just feel like it looks and works a bit intimidating for normal users. Not sure what’s the exact plan for rolling this out to users.

• The overall feel of the app is like a hidden “factory” settings app or something.
  • The UI needs to be bigger. I think this will be fixed with the scaling change of the whole system.
  • “Looks” are labeled as numbers which is quite hard to tell the difference and know when to use them. Not sure if the intention is the same but normally we get Cinema, Vivid, Game, Sports, etc.

The navigation is fine but it would be better if the selection of the image is easier instead of going through them one by one.

1 Like

It’s hard to tell which “look” looks better since it’s not easy to perceive differences between all of them without comparing side by side.
Nevertheless, I feel “0”, “3” and “14” quite natural and pleasant (don’t ask me why)
Did I win? :rofl:
Anyway, fan noise increase prevents me from testing thoroughly.

V1.0.31 (pre-1.1.0) discussion thread :wink:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: PPM Color Calibration Primer

The app has turned out to be very helpful and helps improve the image to a great extent, but it’s super annoying to manually set this again and again every time the projector is turned on. I’m not an expert in Android programming, but speaking from experience with other apps, surely it must be possible to have the app autorun in the background when the projector starts and save its settings in a logfile?!

It’s still in beta state we can’t expect those features yet but hopefully soon.
May I know which number you think is good to your eyes?

Well, it’s not really a Beta app, they obviously just abandoned it or lost interest because most users won’t even see a problem with colors. (We always need to keep in mind that we “perfect picture geeks” are maybe a total of 5 % of all users. Most won’t notice different color profiles or stuff like slight sharpness issues. Or they do notice but it doesn’t matter to them.)

It has been around since January or February and neither a new version of it happened nor has it been implemented in the OS. So, yes, I’d say after nine months, we can expect it to be usable and part of the regular OS. :stuck_out_tongue: Based on Ivo’s screenshot in another thread, I guess at least some color settings are supposed to be part of future OS versions, but who knows if we’ll ever actually see that. :see_no_evil:

Anyway, as either mentioned here or in another thread, the following settings deliver an okayish color result on my white wall:

Eco mode
Preset 14
R 650
G 110
B 330

2 Likes

With the charger plugged in or on battery only?

With charger. I mostly use it with external power, so I haven’t tried to set up a good color with battery mode yet. In battery mode, it will be a completely different setting. I might try that when I have some time.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for you good settings (on charger) Now when they release new version on The color settings app. I Hope you have Time to reach good settings to battery mode.

Did You have time to test without charger?