PicoPix Max - low brightness

Hello,
I have been using PicoPix Max for over a year, and one problem troubles me. The brightness output of my projector is really weak. I thought that some update might solve it, but it seems that It is a hardware problem.
Reviews from other users show and mention that the brightness is excellent, but my si weak compare to them.

I attached photos captured during dark autumn cloudy days. Even though the projection is not big (you can compare it with the size of the guitar), the output is dim.

Even more disturbing is that I used to have my old projector Optoma ML330, which claimed 500 ANSI lumens, and it was even brighter than my PicoPic Max with 850 ANSI lumens. The attached picture clearly shows (besides the different colour profiles) that the PicoPic Max is dimmer even though it should be 70% brighter. The picture was taken in a completely dark room.

Just a reminder, all pictures were taken when the projector was connected to power and was in either presentation or normal mode.

Despite the claimed high brightness, this is a really poor outcome. It almost looks like I have PPX620 with the PPX520 light source. The projector was delivered to me with a long delay, and the reason was the lack of a light source, which only one manufacturer supplied. Should this be the result after all?

I have once complained about the projector due to a faulty battery charge. Even this complaint did not improve the light output, which I already mentioned at the time.

Does anyone have a similar problem? Do you know what it could be?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Ondrej

Looks like an issue with the internal light source. It should be a lot brighter than that even with some ambient light. I would escalate this back to Phillips.

Yep looks like a manufacturing defect, send it back.

The color seems to be alot more yellow.
I think the green led is driven too hard and deteriorates faster than the rest ( green becomes yellow) . I had this problem with a Vivitek Qumi Q3.
Send it back under warranty. They are normally lastimg between 20k-30k hours
to reach half bright ess

Thanks for the answers. I am going to return the projector. I have already contacted Philips support, but so far, no response.

Well, Phillips’ service sent me my old unrepaired projector back saying nothing more than:
Unit checked for customer fault indication and all functions.
VDE test performed
According to the guideline of the manufacturer, we send the unrepaired device back to you.

That’s all

Dear community user,

Our apologies for this, we have addressed it directly via our CS channel.
All the necessary measures of pick up and replacement are underway and we aim to have the situation solved fully as per initial expectation briefly.

Kind regards,

Well, it isn’t like it’s something wrong with your unit.

PPX 620 is a scam/fraud product.

I’ve started having issues with unit - auto focus stopped working.

I claimed a warranty through a retailer I bought my ppx 620 from.

During a conversation with screenem support, someone unintentionally sent me this:

They have confirmed that a real brightness in ANSI Lumens is 350 and 850 is a brightness in LED Lumens.

Even if you go to the ppx 620 indiegogo campaign, on of the first things you will notice is that they claimed it was 850 ANSI Lumens

In of the the promo videos (still up on their YT channel, they claimed 800 ANSI color Lumens.

On the box and in the product card they claimed 850 ANSI Lumens.

And that’s the spec they provided to all the retailers all over the world.

But this was a scam / fraud from the beginning.

It never meant to be 850 ANSI Lumens, it always was 850 LED Lumens which is 2.4x value of ANSI Lumens.

What’s the current situation? It’s not that they have corrected this
 If you go to their official product pages, or download the product card YOU WILL NOT FIND A SINGLE PIECE OF INFORMATION REGARDING THE BRIGHTNESS!!

I received a V2 of this projector - on the box, in the manual - even here there is absolutely nor information regarding the brightness!

Although I messaged Indiegogo, I still have not received a reply. But I will be also informing polish authorities to ban them from selling products in Poland most likely in the EU.

I believe everyone should be refunded!

It’s a fu*** scam!

1 Like

I think that you are right. The 850 ANSI lumens and full HD were parameters that convinced me to buy this product. I was really disappointed when I compared the brightness with my old 500 ANSI lumen projector. I have attached the comparison it this topic, but no one addressed it.

I currently have the third unit after two complaints. All of the units that I tried have the same weak brightness output. The troubling thing is that the last unit I own has some problems with autofocusing. The focus is always a bit off, and I have to do a manual correction every time. Worse, after fixing it manually, the autofocus starts up again on its own and blurs the image. Disabling this feature does not work at all.

As you mentioned, I noticed that the current versions lack brightness information. During the pandemic, when units were unavailable and deliveries were delayed, someone reported that one of the reasons was the lack of high-brightness light sources produced by only one manufacturer. I find it funny when I see the result.

So to wrap it up, can somebody from Phillips (@Philips_Support_T , @IvoGrijt ) confirm, what is the official brightness of the PPX 620? The one missing parameter that is hidden for some reason.

I think I could arrange the measurement and verification of the parameter in a professional laboratory if necessary.

Thanks

Here is an example where someone measured a brightness - 343 ANSI Lumens.

With Screeneo the provide information that it has around 400 ANSI Lumens and that it’s brightness is comparable to ppx620, maybe a little bi higher, but with better colors.

What they did is a fraud on a large scale - if there were no components, they shouldn’t have been selling those units with such brightness provided.

I was choosing between ppx and xgimi halo. I thought - since they have comparable brightness, it’s better to pick one with a better form factor.

Xgimi released an updated version - halo plus, with 900 ANSI Lumens brightness, its preety much the same price point even nowadays as ppx620. Though it has Android 10 with all the apps but Netflix out of the box, but can be run through an app desktop manager

Another thing came to my attention - I was very convinced that Screeneo is just a child company of Philips that is focused on innovation and that’s why they funded ppx and now U4 through indiegogo bla bla bla. In fact Screeneo has nothing to do with Philips, other than they are paying a licence fee to Philips for using their brand name. Now I understand, why I couldn’t get in touch with an official Philips Poland support regarding this projector.

It’s absolutely disgraceful how they lied to everybody

Really? No one is going to address it? @Philips_Support_T , @Philips_Support_N , @Philips_Support_S , @Philips_Support_P

They won’t.

They stopped replying to my emails and as long as they know it’s me calling, they never get back on the phone too.

I will be making an official complaint to the Polish office of competition and consumer protection.

I’ll making posts all over this forum to let everyone know that’s screeneo it’s a fraud company

Hello,
we already answered you by email several times.
Have a great day

And now Screeneo is again trying to hide their fraud

I got an email my post was hidden!!

So what is the answer? Is the brightness 850 ANSI Lumens as you claimed at the beginning or not? @Castorelo shared an email where it is stated 350 Lumens (ANSI).

Hello, as stated before and measure by several journalist like this one:Test Philips PicoPix Max : l'avis de Grégory (MAJ) - Mondoprojos.fr
We measure 850 Lumens.
Thanks,

Hello.
we removed your post because it doesn’t comply with the terms and policies or our community. We try to keep a safe environment without any insult.

it doesn’t comply with your policies?!

How about your scam?!

40sec

Everywhere you claimed it’s 850 ANSI / 800 ANSI Colour Lumens !

In the email, you claimed its 350 ANSI lumens

ANSI lumen is a standard everyone uses.

Here is an explanation between LED and ANSI Lumens.

Another test showing a real brightness!

You have lied to everyone - the brightness in the fake test you provide is LED Lumen, not ANSI!

What you did as a result to have your scam?!

You have removed brightness information from all official materials:

https://cdn.cnetcontent.com/4a/14/4a1442c1-551f-4554-8ab1-998674848bbb.pdf

that’s old product card

and that’s a current one:

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/p/ppx620_int/ppx620_int_pss_polpl.pdf?_gl=1*1h5bqkn*_ga*Mjg1NDgwMjY0LjE2NTMzOTgyMjk.*_ga_Q243QQ1P76*MTY1ODc3OTQxNC4yNi4xLjE2NTg3Nzk0MzEuMA
_fplcJTJGekNkR2s4QllyOFZuampPaDNzRFRIYW1pcVpadnJyVmthWkJCMVh1cERBYkpiQSUyRjF1d3NMY1lBUkRQJTJCMCUyQml5VjltYWp4bnQ2Q0VJMXpvd2M2VGFlQU1PQXpqVTJqb2xaa3hlc1BkdmNsc2wxRjdVSFIwaElpVHlqTkxEdGclM0QlM0Q.&_ga=2.266382221.2043267741.1658691051-285480264.1653398229&_gac=1.220932842.1658234920.CjwKCAjwrNmWBhA4EiwAHbjEQCJQCBySNRaMVd70LxZ0AG7WKI4CcsrNYdhqRDfXgq_2BP6w6vChCBoCw0EQAvD_BwE

same on the website, some on the product box.

Shame on you - you will not get away, bankruptcy is coming!

1 Like

Yes, 850 Lumens, not ANSI Lumens as you claimed when advertised. So you lied in the ads and hid “ANSI” statement later. It was a scam from the beginning. Now it makes sense why it is so weak. 850 (not ANSI lumens) divided by 2.4 makes about 350 ANSI Lumens.

I don’t care what your made-up metric is when you say that ANSI units are obsolete and do not cover the colour spectrum. Even the white colour used in ANSI measurements is 2.4 weaker than you advertised. You claimed 850 ANSI Lumens, but in reality, it is not.

You lied to everyone! If not, just answer what happened to the removed “ANSI” statement. Even the test that you attached is not mentioning ANSI units.

1 Like

@NewOne

They haven’t even changed it.

Good luck with finding ANY information regarding project brightness.

I have received V2 of the product as part of warranty claim like 3-4 weeks ago. There is no information on the box no in manual what is the projector’s brightness. It’s no longer available on Philips website, nor it is (as I have pasted in my previous post) in in the product card (though it used to be).

It is simply an attempt to cover up a fraud