PicoPix Max One (PPX520) randomly turns on

Hi @Okneh the CEC issue is not unique to Philips projectors. Let me give you some more info as a fellow user rather than official tech support. Personally I know this because I was using another well known brand’s projector, which had the same problem of turning on randomly, until I figured out it was the FireTV CEC. Turning CEC off on both the streaming stick and the projector was required to solve it.

With a Google TV, it doesn’t turn on randomly, but also doesn’t turn off my projector (yet another well known brand). With a cheaper model of this same brand, Google TV is able to power it both on and off.

So the common theme seems to be that CEC power on/off is unreliable.

That said, I have relayed this issue to the engineering team, and hope that a software update can fix it. I will keep this thread updated as soon as I have more info.

Hello!

Thank you for the effort. Appreciated by me!

Apparently I’m not the only one here on the forum so an update in the software could help several people.

Since my last update I have reconnected my Chromecast in combination with the ‘HDMI-CEC killer’. Before this, the beamer with the Chromecast sometimes turned on randomly, less often than with the Fire TV; with the FireTV it was every three to four days.

The funny thing is that this (both FireTV and Chromecast) was powered by the USB port of the beamer. If the beamer is off, the USB port is also off; but not quite sometimes apparently? Because there must suddenly be voltage to the Chromecast / FireTV to start. If there is a way to keep the USB port off that might help too. The problem is also there when I connect the Chromecast V3 or FireTV directly to the wall socket.

For now I’m happy that the ‘HDMI-CEC killer’ works. I hope it will continu working (with the Chromecast V3). Disabling HDMI CEC did not help by the way (see a few posts back): I had disabled the CEC functionality on the beamer and FireTV. Apparently turning it of doesn’t completely turn the functionality of. Mabye this is solved by hardware with the ‘HDMI-CEC killer’.

Actually it was creepy. The ppm max one sat just in the black pouch so there was nothing connected to it. Suddenly it started to power-up. So it just happened even without ir-signals in the neighbourhood. And it was dark in the room . It happened several times. The white led came on amdcthe projector started up. Maybe the projector is very sensitive to rf signals? If there is no ir-signal and no spurce and no charger connected, and it sat in his black pouch on the table…

1 Like

Hello @Kronzilla thanks, this is useful information. So it seems this is not CEC related but either the IR sensor or something internal.

Af few posts back I wrote that I blocked the IR ports, front and back with (ltwo layers of black electrical tape.

As Kronzilla says it might be other radio signals.

For me the HDMI CEC-Killer still works. I will keep you updated.

I have exactly the same problem. Turned off cec. Interesting is that it starts full and the after few minutes goes to a very -kind of standby light -like a small flashlight.

Ok on my PicoPix Max (ppx620) I’ve found it will switch on sometimes if I switch the Light on in the Room!
Doesn’t happen a lot but it will trigger a power on from just turning the light on in the room. I’m using a LED bulb. It has a light shade with lot of plastic on it that looks like glass but it isn’t.

I have the same issue, it keeps turning on. It has done it a couple of times whilst I was asleep so nothing was turned on and the only control I use is a PS4 one no others. I just got given it as a 40th birthday present, I’m going to have to be unplugging it from the mains when I leave the house as worried it will come on which is far from ideal. Sometimes it goes to the settings menu and sometimes I get a circle and a lead showing. I’ve taken the power out today and going to try running it flat. It is plugged into the PS4 is there anything there that could be causing it I can try?

My problem has been solved since I use the Chromecase in combination with the HDMI CEC killer.
No startup problems or what so ever.

The CEC killer does not work well in combination with the FireTV stick. The FireTV stick seems to have programmed a certain startup rhythm even after I unplug it.

I don’t have a PS4 at home so unfortunately I can’t test for you. My suspicion is that some devices affect this beamer. The FireTV is one of them anyway.

Mijn tip: houdt de PS4 een paar dagen ontkoppeld en kijk dan of het probleem blijft voortduren. Mogelijk dat ook de PS4 een opstartritme ‘inprogrammeerd’

PS: PS: this is also the update I promised

Ooops.
I thought I’d mostly got this sorted with a CEC killer. But no, it’s started coming on of its own accord again.

No changes in my environment in the last X months. On four times today already…

As it’s in a bedroom, I sense sleepless nights ahead. Let’s hope not.

D*

Hello Ukds,

For me it is the solution is CEC in combination with turning it or with a ‘long’ press. But quiet; it sometimes (very, very rarely) starts on its own. Maybe the long press ‘off’ will help?

Good luck!