Hi there! I finally received my PPM last Tuesday and I’ve been using it intensively during these days. So far, I’m quite satisfied with the device. I started with software version 1.0.27 already, so I assume there were many fixed bugs that I’ve read about in this forum before receiving my PPM.
I’m projecting on a wall (no screen yet) which is not pure white (rather yellowish, but quite light). I’m easily getting a +100 inches display and, under no external light, brightness is quite decent. At the hardware level, I think everything is working quite well (I’ve not tried HDMI or USB-C yet). If any, I would point out two issues, which are not particularly severe:
- The PPM fans are quite noisy. When setting the energy-saving image mode then fan noise is less loud, but still significant. I’m not sure fans are adjusting their speed to current device temperature. I mean, it’s not the same using the device in a warm room than in a cold one, is it? When I touch the projector, it does not seem to be quite warm. Maybe fan speed could be adjusted?
- The tripod is not quite good, it feels like cheap. I would probably consider acquiring a different one.
At the software level, there are still things to be improved, although the experience is not as bad as some people described earlier in the forum. Right now navigation is fluent. I’ve been able to watch Netflix, Disney+, Amazon and Popcorn Time with not many issues. However, there are some things that do not look quite well, and others that surely needs to be improved. For example:
- Thumbnails in this hacked Netflix app looks like very low-resolution. I mean, I can see videos fine, but when navigating through the menus, thumbnails for movies and series look horrible.
- Navigation in Netflix is weird… it improves with the AirMote pointer, but it should go fine using the keys, shouldn’t it?
- For unknown reasons, Disney+ sometimes crashes on exit. I mean, when watching some content and pressing “back” on the AirMote, the projector crashes and restarts.
- There seems to be some problems with DRM-ed content, I don’t know if this has to do with GMS or not. For example, I installed the Movistar+ app (one of Spanish main Internet & TV providers). It can play trailers and ads with no problems, but content is not shown, rather a black screen. I’ve read other people in this forum describing similar issues with other apps. Can this be fixed in some way?
In summary, despite these things to be improved, I’m quite happy with the projector so far. I think it is worth waiting the delivery!