Software Update v1.1.01 & v1.1.02 are available now

No, the fan speed wasn’t always adaptive. That came in 1.1.0. Before that, the fan was spinning at constant speed, depending only on the image mode without any correlation with the room temperature.

I haven’t noticed any differences in fan noise between 1.1.0, 1.1.01 and 1.1.02.

Anyway the noise is in the ear of the beholder

I have noticed a significant deterioration.
It was great with 1.1.0, now after the upgrade to 1.1.02 fan noise is almost back to the same annoying and disruptive level as before.

Is that plugged in or on battery?

Not exactly, noise is measurable so if you can measure yours on the new firmware at the recommended ways and distance then it can be determined and compared whether your unit is louder than others and how much difference its is compared to the older firmwares,
you can download an app for it, it may not be scientifically accurate but it should still give a general idea especially if we all use the same apps, I’d be interested to try it as well,
although the noise never did really bother me too much from the beginning but I did appreciate the update and quietness since and I purposely did record measurements before and after the update knowing there is the major change, but I haven’t tried testing it again after 1.1.02, so I will do that maybe tomorrow if I get the chance, btw I was using an Apple Watch with an inbuilt app at about 300mm away so I will do the same again.

2 Likes

You are correct
I meant that how annoying or not is the noise is in the …ear etc.

But that was a nice idea. I used my iwatch 4 and measured fan noise ~300mm.
Ambient reading was 34-35dB
PPM under ‘normal’ image setting, no heavy work just showing the desktop : 47-49dB
When switching to ‘Energy Saver’ almost inaudible, around 35dB.

This is with 1.1.02. Unfortunately I have no data from before the upgrade

1 Like

That is definitely too high,
Mine starts up at about 41-43dB in normal mode but wait about 5 or 6 minutes then it quietens down to around 37-38, but if you want it to do it quicker select energy saver and it goe quiet straight away even if you go back to normal
There is definitely a difference to 1.1.01 as in that version it seem to boot straight to super quiet but overall it is still similar
And definitely heaps better than before
Unfortunately I can’t find where I scribbled my results from before
Also done this on a watch 4

1 Like

Waiting for it to settle is indeed important in measuring this.

With the first fan sound level tests I measured the following max sound levels:

Brightness mode FW 1.0.29 FW 1.0.32
Off (room baseline) 32 dB 32 dB
Energy saver 47.4 dB 40.8 dB
Normal 52.4 dB 44.5 dB
Presentation 56.4 dB 48.5 dB

Measurements made with my iPhone 8 Plus laying on the table 20 behind & 10cm below the PPM, which was attached to the Philips tripod, PPM powered by PSU

I haven’t done this test since 1.1.0 or later, but it shows the changes introduced in the adaptive fan control did make a difference.

4 Likes

Hello

Now that production is complete for backer I imagiy attention is going shift very quickly to software improvement and regular updates. As the Max is still available to back I imagine software developments will continue. The question is at what pace and how regular?

Cheers

Robin

1 Like

I don’t see what production has to do with software development to be honest, they are completely separate and production will continue for the retail market they didn’t set this whole process up just for us backers, the Max is not really available to back, it’s selling at full retail price, so my guess is the pace and intervals between updates won’t be changing.

3 Likes

Yeah, factory workers don’t just take off their coats and start coding :smiley:

3 Likes

:rofl:Ha I was going to say something similar, but yeah that is the the plain truth, plus all these factories making the projectors are contractors they are not Phillips employees, Phillips/Screeneo just monitors production speed and quality, they can do their software development back in Switzerland or where ever else their staff are located in the world.

2 Likes

on may 18th, i contacted the support regarding a serious issue with the offline update, which maybe started without intervention from me:
i switched on the ppm after i inserted the sd-card with the software update file 1.1.02. after the philips logo screen, the screen switched to white. since then i wasn’t able to use the device. i was never able to confirm an update procedure, or anything else.
the automated email reply from support (request no 21428) indicated that i would receive an answer after like 3 days. it is 11 days now and still nothing.

2 Likes

From my other thread, if you run on AC power then the fan is noisy, speculation about an extra bulb but we should be able to run in AC mode in the same manner at battery, the brightness for me is fine on battery, I just want it to run on AC with the same brightness and noise as battery…but it doesn’t seem possible.

Maybe this is what people are noticing.

@PhilipsEngineering Tonight I noticed that when the battery is low, the remaining time goes negative. Pay attention to battery % in the following pictures. No big deal really, definitely not a priority, but I thought you should know about this bug for a future firmware update.

@Philips_Support_P - I have noticed some improvements in video quality in the latest release. I dont see any video stutter now while playing on youtube and Netflix. Earlier there was some kind of stutter and you can notice that very easily. Also the audio sync via Bluetooth is working well now. I don’t see a lag anymore. Just want to know from the engineering team if this is something that was fixed in the latest release? Please let me know.

This is due to a GPU fix although take note that there’s a caveat on this. You have to use automatic keystone correction to have this performance so you can’t use manual vertical keystone and 4-corner correction otherwise you’ll get the same performance as before.

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m obviously not as cleaver as you guys

@Philips_Support_3 @PhilipsNono

It’s been a couple weeks since the last (service) update, and almost a month since the last update with features - when is the next update planned?

4 Likes

Yes at least give us a rough idea of when and what new major features it will include and which one from the feature suggestions list is being worked on?

1 Like