Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems

I confirm this solution worked for me, even when performing the flash from a virtual machine (tested on VMWare Fusion with Windows 10 x64 and Windows 7 SP1 x32).

After properly flashing the PPM, I simply connected it to my Macbook with a USB-C to USB-C cable (full data cable, not just charging cable) and it was instantly recognised as an extra monitor.

Thanks @blagerweij ! I wish Philips support had spelled it out for everyone so you wouldn’t have had to, but now we’ve got it.

@Philips_Support_P You should consider including this solution into your original post so it’s more immediately accessible to those facing this issue with their respective device.

Hi @myphilipsid glad to know you could solve the issue. This is not a general problem, it only appears on the very first batches for which the USBC chip was ordered before Apple released the updated MacBook Pros in Nov 2019.

@Philips_Support_P I think the problem is not just restricted to the first batch, I checked the videochip firmware version before upgrading, and it was a 2020 version. Also, I had to wait quite some time for the PPM to arrive, so I think the problem is spread wider than just the first few.

Hi @blagerweij yes, you are right, but what I meant is that some later batches of the projector used earlier batch of the PCBA (USB-C chip). The overall number of such units is around 15%.

Did you rename the zip file, and make sure the extracted files are on a local drive, preferably in a top folder (e.g. c:\tmp)

Also, you could try to run with Administrator privileges

Please make sure you use the right usb-c port. Also, make sure you use the correct usb-c cable (one that supports data). The update process is hard, but should work eventually

i’m having the same issue as @Tch3k0v. i tried on a windows 7 VM, windows 10 and windows 11 machine, only on win7 the driver installs using the setup (on others i manually installed it) and on all machines i get this error when the app start.

i tried 5 different usb c - usb c cables + 2 different usb c - usb a. same errors on all.
on all machines i can confirm that i see the USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3) in device management when the projector is on and any of those cables are connected.

what else can i do? @blagerweij / @Philips_Support_P

EDIT: i already tried the basic “run as admin” and all compatibility options. i also reflashed the projector successfully
EDIT 2: i also tried with the updated 2019 version of the driver from wch.cn, same issue
EDIT 3: i also moved CTools folder out of the program files (to C:\ and Desktop), same issue

1 Like

I was sent this procedure in November last year by Ivo but never got around to looking at it until recently.

I have tried to follow it, renaming the various folders etc to get it to install

But every time I try and run the upgrade tool it simply goes straight to not responding.
Tried running as administrator, but makes no difference.

Any thoughts / suggestions on what to try next welcome.

I get a run time error

1 Like

I get the same error.
With the path to the executable being C:\CTOOLS\LDRSETUP.EXE
Also tried with compatibility and admin privileges.
I’ll retry on a laptop with unupdated Windows…

Ok, I tried with the PicoPix on and got a different error:

Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
Login timeout expired

Hi blagerweij, thanks for your effort in posting this.
Could you share with me a contact for someone from Screeneo that helped you?

Maybe they could help us out regarding the error messages

Run-time error '-2147217843 (80040e4d)':
?? 'sa' ?????
Run-time error '-2147467259 (80004005)':
Login timeout expired

Is it know which serial numbers are involved? Just got this beamer and it’s unusable with a (windows) laptop or with my phone.