Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems

I can’t personally, perhaps @Philips_Support_P can enlighten us…

No, the smartphone just indicates that it is charging. The PPM switches to USB-C input but shows the no signal screen. :-/

Any news, updates or solutions concerning the usb-c - Windows 10 -problem? When connecting the PPM to a pc through usb-c video, Windows still gives a connection error notification approx. every ten seconds. Notification vanishes as soon as it comes. Worst part is the picture freezing for a moment when this happens. Makes watching movies annoying.

Thanks!

Bump. The problem persists every eight seconds in my life.

Seems like my PPM is not working properly @Philips_Support_P.

Another usb-c video problem is the force charging of the connected device. There must be a way to cancel this function as it destroys PPM’s battery and the battery of a connected device. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Have you actually sent an email to support@screeneo.com about this issue? If not, please do so.

1 Like

The first shipment of around 1500 pcs has the older USB-C firmware, and around 750 pcs of a more recent shipment as well, producing during the move to the new factory. I don’t have the serial numbers handy but I’ll check it up. Only around 1.7% of the units should have the older USB-C firmware, so you should generally not need to perform this update manually.

3 Likes

We’re aware of this issue. It’s because of the way the USB-C video port is internally connected, which trips some laptops/phones into thinking it’s a USB2.0 device. I’ll update this thread as soon as Engineering has found a solution.

This is a separate issue from the MacBook 16" compatibility update.

5 Likes

Hi everyone, those who are experiencing the “USB device is not recognized” issues –

Can you please tell me whether the USB-A port (the one for the usb drives) has anything connected to it?

In the best case, please tell me every device you’ve connected to your PicoPix Max, and into which ports, when you experience this issue. Thanks.

2 Likes

I got chance to open my PPM first time after 20days of delivery. I have the similar issue.
When I connect my mobile (one plus 6T) to usb-c video port. PPM displays ‘No Signal’. My mobile battery gets charged.
My laptop displays properly on HDMI.
Should I flash usb-c video port?

Amazon prime video crashing consistently. I am on latest OS version.
Smart youtube works well after upgrading to pro version.
Please specify stable app builds for the specific OS version

Can you please tell me whether the USB-A port (the one for the usb drives) has anything connected to it? No

In the best case, please tell me every device you’ve connected to your PicoPix Max, and into which ports, when you experience this issue
Connected One plus 6T to usb-c video port. No signal message displayed. No other device connected to PPM parallely.
Same issue with my laptop HP ProBook 440 g5, when I connect through usb-c video port.

Oneplus 6T does not support video over usb-c port. Looks like the same is true for USB-C port on your probook, it’s only USB 3.1 (HP ProBook 440 G5 Notebook PC Specifications | HP® Customer Support)

2 Likes

Ohh… Never checked my phone is compatible or not. May be bcoz of high hopes on One plus :joy:… thanks anyways

1 Like

Hello

What about Nvidia shield tv? Does it support this device via usb c to hdmi cable ?

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

Sorry for the delay! Have you made any progress with the USB-C issue?

Nothing else is connected to the laptop than the PPM and a power cord. Same with the PPM, only a power cord and the laptop connected.

The issue is somehow more severe (worse stutter) if I connect the laptop with the USB-C cable when the laptop is already running vs first connect the cable, then boot up the laptop.

Hallo, here’s my experience: PPX connected via USB-C to an ASUS UX581GV (it’s a 3.000 Euros laptop!) and it does not work!

When plugged into the video input of the PPX, I got the yellow screen “no input” but the led becomes green.
When plugged into the power input of the PPX…it does not charge the PPX and the led does not witch on (it’s blue if the PPX is on)

Basically both USB-C inputs of the PPX are useless when conneted to the laptop.

I see it’s a common problem and I was wondering if it’s fixable.

Thanks

1 Like

I can’t get picture from Galaxy 10+ via usb-c

Also posted in a different topic, but since it might be helpful to others facing USB-C issues:
After upgrading my laptop to the latest MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 model, I also faced the same issues reported here: PPM shows the green ‘NO SIGNAL’ screen, while the MacBook does not recognise the projector connected to USB-C.
Thanks to the great support from Screeneo I was able to resolve the issue: It requires an upgrade of the USB-C firmware. The following link (provided by Screeneo support) contains all information you need to perform the firmware upgrade for the USB-C chip: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/ppx620/tools/PPX620-USB-C-Upgrade.zip
Some remarks on the process:

1. You need a Windows machine to perform the steps (or use a virtual VM on Mac)
  2. The procedure is a bit sketchy: requires installation of a USB driver, install unsigned software that is only available in Chinese
  3. Make sure you rename the folders and executable filenames to only use regular (A-Z) characters. The provided ZIP file uses some weird characters which prevents Windows from opening the archive (“Unable to open archive file”)
  4. When you’re running the tool that performs the firmware upgrade, connect your PPM, wait for the tool to recognise the PPM, then select the last row on screen. Then simply hit the first button (I’ve been told that button is called ‘Write’).
    Thanks to Screeneo support for the swift and accurate response when I reported the issue. I’m not sure if this problem is only applicable to Macs, or wether other Windows PCs also suffer from the same problem, perhaps someone facing similar issues on Windows machines can confirm ?
7 Likes

I had exactly the same issue when connecting to a macbook pro. I did a factory reset on PPX and it has been working ever since

I didn’t read all of this here, but my solution to connect my Samsung S10 Phone was to just use a (passiv) USB-C to HDMI Adapter and then connected it to the HDMI port - this way I can also charge my phone while watching.

[Update] I figured it out, everything is fine with the tool and the PPM being recognised. Just the whole window of the tool didn’t fit in the desktop because I had it scaled up. I did click the Maximize icon thinking it would display the whole window, but even that didn’t do the job apparently. Just flashed the PPM now and will try troubleshooting those video issues again.

Hi @blagerweij,

Thanks for posting the link and some tips to complete the procedure!
Being tech-savvy I’m trying to do exactly the same, running the tool from a VM on a Macbook Pro, and everything works fine until the very last step. When I open the tool that’s supposed to flash the PPM, the projector is not recognised, so I have no button to press to flash the update (see attached picture).

I’ve made sure the PPM is recognised by Windows AND is using the provided driver that I installed beforehand (CH341S64.SYS), but the tool itself doesn’t see it. I am using an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter on the Macbook’s USB-C port, then a USB-A to USB-C data cable (which I know does allow data transfer) plugged in the power port of the PPM.

I really don’t see what I’m doing wrong. In the Windows device list the PPM shows as “USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3)”. Can you confirm if it’s the same on your end? Is there some special settings in my VM I should look into? Have you got any idea how I could get the tool to recognise the PPM to perform the flash?

Many thanks