USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops

I tried to plug my MacBook Pro USB-C into the USB Port (Video) and it did not recognize the laptop. I tried my Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 and the same result that no video found. I tried both USB-C ports just to test with the same no video results. Only a green screen saying no video input.

I tested the HDMI port with a USB-C to HDMI adapter on my Surface Laptop 3 to the projector and that port works.

Which USB-C cable did you use? You have to use a full featured cable (the one that is shipped with the PPM is known to work, but the one shipped with the MacBook are for charging only)

Please follow the steps here: Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems

Same here - latest MacBook Pro and using Phillips supplied cable.

Does not help unfortunately. PicoPix just doesn’t seem to see the MacBook output (running latest 10.15.3 version on MacOS and using Philips’ supplied cable).

You need to use Apple’s Thunderbolt cable (not the one that came with your MacBook)…

I also could not get the USB-C port to work . I tried my Miboox Air which recognized the USB port as second display. I can swich then on projection mode within Windows 10 but the projector still shows “no signal” And yes, I used the cable that that came with it and the video USB-C port on the ppm. No way to get it to display anything. There seems to be a general problem with it…

1 Like

… yes, but the cable that comes with the projector is supposed to also work, no?

I cannot comment on that because to be honest, I don’t know where I put the original cable. But I was successful using the TB Apple cable (not the one that comes with a MacBook Pro) based on another user’s comment. :slight_smile:

Do you have another USBC cable with video support?

Atl least I only have the one that came with the ppm. It’s strange that Windows detects the connection and also Shows a second Display in the settings and it gives you project settings like duplicate screen and extend screen, but the ppm always show “no signal”… Don’t think it’s a cable issue but more or less sw related on ppm site ?

I am wondering if those devices somehow aren’t trying to use alt-DP mode instead of alt-HDMI mode. @wernerj any ideas?

By the way, this is the USB-C to HDMI Adapter that works with my Xiaomi Air Book.
https://www.gearbest.com/usb-accessories/pp_662546.html?wid=1433363
So the USC-C port is at least capable to handle Video Signals.

Well, what chip is used to handle the configuration channel negotiation in the PPM, and how has it been configured? I haven’t been able to determine the exact chip used from the teardown pictures. My initial guess was one of the EZ-PD Cypress chips but it didn’t seem to quite add up. Is the PPM identifying itself as an AMA only advertising HDMI alt-mode?

I’ve ordered another cable and will let you know.

@Philips_Support_P - just to let you know, I have now tested with an expensive (!) USB-C cable, designed for data transfer, and the mirroring still does not work. MacBook sees the projector as a display, but the the projector says no source. This looks like a software issues between MacBook Pro running 10.15.3 and the projector. Happy to beta test solutions if needed.

My HTC 10 works on my PPM via type-c and I believe most phones use alt-mode displayport.
Weirdly though, my friend’s Samsung S8 doesn’t work and just doesn’t detect PPM as a display.
My type-c portable monitor works for both my HTC 10 and my friend’s S8.

@PEHowland can you please send me the link of the exact cable you used? Also, have you tried all the different USB-C ports of your MacBook? Here in our office all of us use MacBooks and it works fine. (Could be that the soldering of one or two pins on the projector’s USB-C port came off, but this is speculation.)

What does “Connection Type:” say for the projector display in the System Report under Graphics/Displays? (my external Dell is USB-C alt-mode DisplayPort which is why it says DisplayPort in my case and should say “DVI or HDMI” in your case.

(Edited HDMI to DVI or HDMI after confirmation from @Philips_Support_P)

Correct me if I’m wrong @Philips_Support_P, but the USB-C video port is only supposed to accept and negotiate HDMI alt-mode, not DisplayPort alt-mode, right?