Useless HDMI and Issues with Fire Stick

HDMI is quite useless without 4 corner correction on a portable projector like PPM where the idea is to be flexible with its placement. Dont understand why there is even a HDMI, company could have saved money here for other improvements like a better/stronger SoC. Tried my device with FireStick on HDMI and got so distorted display, very frustrating. Where is any engineering or design logic?

Now issues with Fire Stick on HDMI:

• Audio doesnt work in PPM if audio settings in FIreStick are on Auto/Best Selection. Only works when manually changed to Stereo. Then also audio would not be controlled by volume controls on FS remote.

• Secondly, with FS on HDMI, colors surely more livid. Compared by playing same video clip on Youtube natively in PPM and then on FS over HDMI. BUT image highly pixelated over HDMI.

Excuse my harsh words but the more I try to convince myself in favor of PPM, the more it annoys with its lack of capabilities to be branded as a Philips product. Feels so cheated every time I use it.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer for you except to say I feel you. I feel cheated by Philips who promised an Android TV OS, failed to deliver, then took away the only saving grace it had for smart device integration - HDMI CEC because of problems a small subset of users had. They didn’t make it an option, they actively removed the function (by software of course) whilst leaving the defunct options to turn on and associated settings, active in the menu. Oh, and they gazetted it after the bios upgrade, no one had no recourse but to use their terrible firmware / OS.,

Not only is this almost criminal (pfft, crowdfund backers have no rights, we will do what we like), it’s terrible coding. It took me ages to figure out why my CEC, which worked since the get go, just stopped.

So I now actively don’t buy Philips, I urge others not to explaining the many problems they seem to have with their ability to work with the Big guys in IOT, and where possible, rate the product /product line (by inference and association of course, siting the 620) as terrible.

It does have a lovely picture for it’s age and size, I suspect the team that ran it were majority beamer people, with very little idea of IOT and smart home/media devices. My hat is off to those ppl in support and engineering who were part of the latter group and did try to help howevber, seems they were junior and had little to do with decision making. You know, like spending money to get licensing for Android TV as advertised. Their excuse that it wasn’t a touchscreen device is rubbish when compared to competing products such as the Xgimi Halo.

Sorry for the vent, but nice to find community of cheated dispirited 620 users

1 Like