What about the noise level?

I don’t understand all that you say but i confirm it was a good thing if it’s possible to reduce the noise in normal mode in a future firmware, thanks

1 Like

I think there is a real field of improvement in the future feature which will adapt dynamically the speed of the fan with the temperature.
I’ve tested my PPM during several hours this week-end and I’ve been very surprised when putting it back in his pouch that it was almost cold when I’ve taken it in my hand.
I think it can tolerate to be a little bit warmer and therefore need less fan speed, which means less noise !
It will be the job of tech guys to identify the right position of the cursor between heat and noise and doing it dynamically…

And finally, when hots days will come, we will understand why PPM is more noisy :wink:

2 Likes

I am completely agree with you :wink::+1:

Hello,

what do you think that you can make an effort about the fan noise for the next firmware upgrade ?

Thanks

2 Likes

I just had a chance to play with my device for a little time, as I had to go for a business trip so unable to go into detail testing. What I did notice is that if you leave the projector on in presentation mode for a long period of time (10-12 hours) it will potentially overheat android hw and make it stutter. Thus your wish to slow down the ventilator on presentation mode might be coutner productive - the projector may seem cold on the outside after you plug it off but it just might be hot enough to make trouble for the android hardware in there that it also needs to cool.

What I noticed is that when android started to fail, I guess either due to heat or possibly memory issues projector using cromecast attached to HDMI port worked perfectly, so only android hw was affected.

Is android actually relevant for the presentation mode? Do these laser pointer next page previous page things work on android?

If it’s a regular HID device in the form of a USB-A dongle or a Bluetooth device then yes they work in Android. Whether Android version of Powerpoint or similar behaves I’m not sure. Anybody running Powerpoints straight from the projector?

Android and Presentation mode are not connected :slight_smile: Presentation mode is just the power of light source adjusted to the max/fan spinning the fastest. You can see HDMI content when projector is in presentation mode. What matters is that in presentation mode more heat is generated that can affect how android hw is behaving as it is part of the casing and it absorbs some of the heat generated by the led light.

1 Like

Yes probably the processor is getting the heat and thus being throttled to help with the cooling.

Could be. Could be a memory/software issue too. So lets’s see what the guys find out.

Hello,

i don’t speak about presentation but eco or normal mode. I test my picopix during one week and you are oblige to pump up the volume of bluetooth speaker if you want have a good experience when you look a film…It’s my point of view.

1 Like

Well the same goes for all modes. Im just talking about my expecience with presentation mode. I have had a lot of projectors during last five years and from my exprience all are loud specially the standard bulb ones. So from that perspective this one is less loud than my usual full size projectors having a slightly different humming sound due to different ventilator size used (smaller/faster spinning).

I guess having already had so many standard ones I expected noise so my expectations were actually it would be even louder than it is. The size of the box limits the size of the fan asking for a faster spin and louder noise - air through tighter tunnel produces more noise as do smaller ventilators. if you had 850 lumen light source in a bigger casing I would expect LESS noise due to bigger fan and more expansion space.

1 Like

We’re trying to improve the thermals in one of the next updates. I cannot promise exactly when, since this has a lot of impact on reliability, but we are working on it.

7 Likes

Hello,

real good news :blush:

thanks to try it! The DMAIC attitude is the right way :), not the feeling :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hope that stressed out of the component give good result for lower fan noise.

I’m waiting the next upgrade.

1 Like

Adaptive fan speed would be very nice option.

3 Likes

It’s in internal testing now and will be out for beta within a few days.

5 Likes

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

Why does a post from 4 days ago appear below one from today?

It’s been posted 4 days ago somewhere else but only moved to this thread recently.

1 Like

Hello,

thanks for your development, i’m very happy to test the new firmware with the noise optimization.

I’m very enjoy to have participate at this “adventure”

The PPM, one of the best pico of the world :slight_smile:

1 Like