What was the reason given for not using Google Services?

I don’t use Telegram, can you elaborate on this please?

The Video in the link is watchable without a Telegram Account

Well this is certainly not true. Android TV does not require a special CPU. The RK 3328 will work just fine…

Nvidia shield tv is non-touch screen - just sayin

1 Like

AndroidTV has GMS build-in.

So Philips. Once more the not so cool situation: you say this way, but there’s examples that things could be possible.

Say: “For Android TV: unfortunately we won’t move to this OS on the current Max version as the hardware doesn’t allow it. It requires a special CPU” -

“Well this is certainly not true. Android TV does not require a special CPU. The RK 3328 will work just fine…”

“2: for Android TV: the main reason is NEtflix, impossible to certify a projector for the moment. We also chose AOSP because it’s much more versatile, you can install what ever app you want and also we can modify the launcher the way we want” -

“Nvidia shield tv is non-touch screen - just sayin”

So who is right? who is clueless?

1 Like

App support through apotide is poor, many apps will not even launch via the home screen, they have to be launched from within the apotide app(Hulu).

Many apps are not optimized for the Pico like YouTubeTV, video in the app stutters, the app crashes after about an hour of watching video forcing me to reboot the projector.

GMS support needs to be added. This should be a major goal.

2 Likes

@AndrewMD @Community

Please use the VOTE Button on top of this thread, if you would like to see GMS as an official Feature (Which depends on Google off course)

1 Like

Also, how was ZTE able to get 2 generations of projectors certified? I have the ZTE SPRO2 and it runs the google play store to this day.

Shouldn’t be a challenge for Philips to get certified.

Because:

• ZTE is a mobile phone manufacturer, they easily have the GMS certification
  • they used a display directly on the top of the projector, like a smartphone. This is easier to get the certification because you can say this is like a smartphone with a projector. (Google requires to get a display to have GMS)
  • because this phone is based on KK, and it was easier to get the certification before. The certification was easy to get till Android 6
1 Like

Please, point us to a device that has Android TV on this CPU. We will be happy to check it and reach out to the right people.

Nvidia Shield uses Android TV which does not have touch-screen requirement.

2 Likes

Maybe Android TV is a good direction to go for this projector :slight_smile:

Philips have stated that Android TV won’t work with the main chip that runs the PPM.

Some smartphones (unpopular chinese devices and some of Huawei phones) don’t have google service by default but it is possible to install it as apk. So, did anyone try to install GApps to PPM already?

1 Like

Of course a few people did and showed me. Technically nothing is stopping us doing it, we just can’t do it legally.

Great. If it’s possible without root access or other difficult actions, lack of google services by default is not a big problem.

So how XGIMI model Halo was able to get GMS and AndroidTV on their projector?

• there is no display on chassis
  • there is no touch-pad also
  • this is definately projector (similar to PPM)

Dear Screeneo, why you don’t use the synergy with Philips TV project managers with their experience on AndroidTV for their TV products?

1 Like

What exactly limitations of RK3328 CPU’s are?

• architecture not suitable?
  • too slow?
  • blacklisted for Google?
  • not supported by chip vendor?

To be honest - this looks like normal bussines case. When Philips’s Managers are indended to have GMS or AndroidTV on their products like TV or this PicoProjector I believe they are able to get a deal with Google. If costs are too big - just say us.

Rock64 had nearly identical specs and runs Android TVs.

Can also find a list of other Android boxes with the RK3328 that have AndroidTV builds :slight_smile:

There’s no official Android TV for Rock64 that I can find, there are old “community” builds of Android TV 6.

^ main reason. And no netflix.

^ secondary reason. Unfortunately we are trying for 1.5 years with minimal progress. Luckily Widevine L1 worked out at the last moment. We can’t hold the product on external company’s mercy indefinitely, business keeps running, some tradeoffs have to be made.