What was the reason given for not using Google Services?

@Robin_Howard yes you can do it as the source is external: you can connect the dongle or Apple TV or other source directly to the Bluetooth speakers.

Please google before posting claims:

Epson EF-100 does not have android, it has empty space in the back for any type of streaming device to connect via HDMI and keep within the chasis.

I would think you are both right :wink: The Epson has an empty space and does not have Android TV integrated. However, they are selling a version of the EF-100 with a HDMI Android-TV stick of their own design included in the box. Technically, it is not integrated, however, it comes down to the same thing. Small detail though, the EF-100 Android TV edition costs around 1100 euroā€™s and is only 720pā€¦ So no real competition to the ppm I think.

https://www.epson.be/products/projectors/home-cinema/ef-100b-android-tv-edition#specifications

1 Like

in fact they just bought the dongle, I bet that when you start the Android TV, there is another brand appearing like an OEM. As they cannot add there own brand on startup in the dongle the canā€™t even add the dongle INSIDE the projector

2 Likes

So Google announced they will be bringing a new Chromecast Ultra dongle to market with Android TV built in - again - why canā€™t we have it built into our projector?

Please check this post: What was the reason given for not using Google Services?

Actually they are not that bad - currently $799.99 at BB. Since I can use any HDMI stick with this unit, it can be very useful for those consumers that want something without a lot of technical issues.

Considering that others are using Roku or other HDMI sticks with their Philips, this one at least gets tucked inside the projector for greater portability or risk of damaging the HDMI port.

hello @AndrewMD,
sadly after several disappointing issues with my PPM i have to admit that i start to be agree with you in thisā€¦

1 Like

Actually just ordered another LG Pico Projector yesterday - we have had great luck with that brand and the projector is using WebOS (LG OS) that is installed on all their SmartTVs. We ordered the LG - PF50KA 1080p Wireless Smart DLP Projector which has 600 Lumens and native 1080p. It supports charging via USB-C or Barrel Connector and doesnā€™t have the issue using MacBook Pro standard USB-C cable (my other LG Pico didnā€™t).

You can use an external sound source if you purchase a BT dongle while using HDMI. I know this is not the most awesome answer to the solution, but it is a workaround that has to be done for the limitation of the device.

Take a look at this one from Amazon, it is a nice compact and elegant solution!

1 Like

Too sluggish . Thereā€™s already someone who compared the 2 on the FB groups. On top of that itā€™s more expensive.

Depends what you mean by sluggish, WebOS seems to be quite effective with tasks I have thrown at it.

It is more robust in the areas of an App Store, official video apps (Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, and more).

Contrast wise both Philips and LG compare similar whereas they both lose color value.

Sound wise the Philips model is a bit louder. But LG supports HDMI ARC for external sound.

I think this all comes down to what a person desires to use it for though.

For me portability was a primary function, then the ability to use standalone without adding external dongles. LG shines in this regard.

I have a LG PF1500 that runs WebOS. I bought it in the US, where Netflix worked just fine, then moved to the UK and Netflix isnā€™t available on the projector any more. The main reason why I got the PPM is the Airplay compatibility.

As far as I am concerned, that the PPM is Google-free is a major privacy feature, not a bug. Then again I just received it today, so I donā€™t have a lot of usage on it. I was able to install Disney+ using AptoideTV without any issues.

1 Like

There are definite positives to the Philips Projector, but one thing you might find out that AirPlay is hit/miss. I couldnā€™t get it to work reliable so I ended up using Chromecast Dongle to cast instead.

Hi @AndrewMD,

You have issues with basic AirPlay usages, of to cast contents (which could be linked with DRM restrictions) ?

Mostly happens with Hulu and Netflix when using AirPlay. Hulu would give an error code.

On my LG TV or LG projector that is not an issue.

Just for clarification: You installed Disney+ on the PPM and where able to watch content?

If yes, this version:

https://com-disney-disneyplus.de.aptoide.com/app

?

I downloaded it from Aptoide and I was able to play video. The version is 1.4.0 and the bundle ID is com.disney.disneyplus (no ā€œaptoide.comā€). It was ever so slightly choppy, but whether that has to do with the app/projector or the lousy third-world-grade British broadband is anyoneā€™s guess.

I have a US Disney+ account (moved in June 2019), so that may make a difference.

Yes, the last millennium called, it wants its not-really-HD 720p backā€¦

1 Like

The EF-100 is a laser based small projector from epson. It is a native 1080p projector :slight_smile: