Working external battery pack?

Your link isn’t working for some reason, but I came across a 2 in 1

I’ve edited the link. It should work now.

1 Like

Looking for advice or if anyone has found a power pack / power brick that delivers the required voltage/amperage/wattage to charge the PicoPix Max. I’m sometimes out of range of a wall charger and wanted to buy a power pack to be able to run it for an extended duration at a conference for instance.

I have one that has USB-C by Anker, but it doesn’t have enough Power Delivery through the USB to be able to charge, or maintain the charge in the PPM.

Any suggestions?

Please make sure to use the search function before posting new threads.

I’m going to receive this brick on Monday Working external battery pack? and according to our fellow backers, it is working great. One member from the forum said he can watch 5 hours with the PPM battery + this one.

Cheers

1 Like

Chaps, I can confirm the battery is working great with the PPM. It charges the device while watching. Only on Presentation it doesn’t charge the device but extends it’s life…so it’s pretty much the same! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use this Xiaomi MI powerbank :https://www.gadgets4geeks.com.au/xiaomi-20000mah-mi-power-bank-3-dual-usb-type-c-power-delivery-fast-charger

It “only” charges 45W (15V 3A)

This weekend I used the PPM on presentation mode, using the internal S-youtube app, connected to the powerbank.

After 3 hours we were done, and it still had juice (I did not check how much though).

The image was brighter (as if connected to the mains adapter), but it might have shifted to lower brightness at some point without me noticing…

1 Like

I recently supported a crowdfunding for the new 210W power bank FLASH of chargeasap (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flash-world-s-most-powerful-210w-usb-c-powerbank/x/22645099#/). During backerkit survey you could buy an update to the ordered FLASH.
Did it, so I have just now received the FLASH 2.0.

It happens to have one output which is 15V 4A like the charger of the PPM! That allows not only to charge the battery of the PPM out of the powerbank, but also to use the PPM as if it was plugged in! (see the power-icon in the picture below) From now on, very long open air cinema nights seem possible, as well as longer presentations using the power consuming presentation-mode.

Now it’s time to test how many extra-hours of PPM-fun the 20.000 mAh deliver… :slight_smile:

Testing the Flash 2.0 powerbank with PPM:

Output 100W (…15V4A, 20V5A)

• Using Flash2.0 as if the PPM is plugged in, bypassing, using brightness mode normal, streaming netflix via integrated app and wlan
    —> 64min streaming takes up ~ 86% of the powerbank
  • Charging with Flash2.0, PPM switched off, from PPM 10% to 94% (powerbank 100% to 3%) in about 2 hours.

Output 60W (…15V3A, 20V3A)

• Using Flash2.0 as if the PPM is plugged in, bypassing, using brightness mode normal, streaming netflix via integrated app and wlan
    —> 71 min streaming takes up ~ 93% of the powerbank
  • Charging with Flash2.0, PPM switched off, from PPM 10% to 90% (powerbank 100% to 3%) in about 2 hours.

That means:

• Using the Flash2.0 as if the PPM is plugged in, bypassing the PPM battery, provides 1 extra hour of streaming and watching (at higher brightness at socket-mode).
  • Charging the PPM battery with Flash2.0 prolongs round about 3 hours of streaming (at slightly lower brightness at battery-mode) without having the need of a socket.

3 Likes

But fake CE mark😕

Is it? I don‘t know.
As I understand it every manufacturer is allowed or even has to put the sign by himself, as declaration, if he is sure that his product achieves the european specifications.

1 Like
3 Likes

I bought the flash too. The correct CE mark is on the power supply. On the flash is the sign for China Export. When asked, I was told that it was wrongly printed … in their story they advertise with the original CE mark. therefore I would be careful. I asked especially if something happened and that can end very badly with this power, so that at least legally I have something in hand.

2 Likes

@Julius Thanks for the indication. On the company and the crowdfunding websites, as well as on the productbox, the correct CE-sign is communicated. On this powerbank itself is the “wrong” one.

I don’t want to think, that on such a successful and highly viewed project, such a kind of fraud is probable. That would be very risky for a mere profit. Not only would they risk conflict with the European authorities but also to loose the access to crowdfunding platforms, essential for their business.

The explanation of one charge of wrong printed products I would like to believe. But as you say, you never know.

Thanks for the tip. I will also wright them by myself to get the answer and have something in hands, just in case…

2 Likes

I backed for the Flash external battery but now I am seeing a lot of people disappointed with it. I will keep monitoring as I have some days to get my money back. I just saw this comment that it is not charging Pico Pix Max at all, not sure if it is 2.0 version though

The next step in the testing of my flash 2.0, after bypassing, will be pure charging. Updates will follow.

This is the one I use, which is actually quite compact, and has dual USB-C outputs at 100W and 60W, either port works with the PPM!

On average it is getting me an additional 2-3 hours of battery life outside of the PPM internal battery.

https://www.amazon.ca/imuto-Portable-Charger-26800mAh-External/dp/B086JRFZ9D/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?crid=ANU0KCXY3SOH&cv_ct_cx=imuto+power+bank&dchild=1&keywords=imuto+power+bank&pd_rd_i=B086JRFZ9D&pd_rd_r=d981c9b6-a682-43a1-87e4-4a1119a4e75d&pd_rd_w=N15EW&pd_rd_wg=KMyFt&pf_rd_p=43a9c4d1-127a-4491-8ea0-641567812f17&pf_rd_r=SS8D3NVX0MNQGTMNS7HV&psc=1&qid=1597678614&sprefix=imuto+power%2Caps%2C-1&sr=1-1-791c2399-d602-4248-afbb-8a79de2d236f

Update 2: Charging with powerbank Flash 2.0, PPM switched off, via 100W output (15V4A)
From PPM 10% to 94% (powerbank 100% to 3%) in 2,5 hours.
That means with charging it prolongs round about 3 hours of streaming in normal mode without having the need of a socket.

2 Likes

I was testing the powerbank Flash2.0 of chargeasap with the PPM (see also the post above)

Results:

Output 100W (…15V4A, 20V5A)

—> 64min streaming takes up ~ 86% of the powerbank
  • Charging with Flash2.0, PPM switched off, from PPM 10% to 94% (powerbank 100% to 3%) in about 2 hours.

Output 60W (…15V3A, 20V3A)

—> 71 min streaming takes up ~ 93% of the powerbank
  • Charging with Flash2.0, PPM switched off, from PPM 10% to 90% (powerbank 100% to 3%) in about 2 hours.

That means:

• Using the Flash2.0 as if the PPM is plugged in, bypassing the PPM battery, provides 1 extra hour of streaming and watching (at higher brightness at socket-mode).
  • Charging the PPM battery with Flash2.0 prolongs round about 3 hours of streaming (at slightly lower brightness at battery-mode) without having the need of a socket.
1 Like

I can confirm that the Flash 2.0 charges the PPX perfectly fine. It could be however @Fuzz that because the PPX is getting the 15V 4A it goes into battery bypass mode, in which case it might not charge while the Flash is being depleted. In any case, it will have saved battery life then.

2 Likes

Thanks @sahagun-ffm and @IvoGrijt for confirming that is working!

2 Likes

@Fuzz For me it works well. My usecase at the moment is this setup:
The PPM is installed at a place where no electrical socket is in reach. So watching via PPM battery. When it is getting low, plugging in the Flash2.0 and recharging the PPM, resulting in 3 hours of watching PPM again. Meanwhile the Flash2.0 is charged fast, ready and on hold for the next recharge of the PPM.

1 Like