Auto focus inconsistent

I have the same issue. I recorded a video but I won’t bother uploading it because it sounds like the same problem as everyone else in this thread.

Things I noticed:

• When I hit the auto-focus button, it seems to be in perfect moment for the first moment, then goes all the way to the other extreme.
  • The best focus was very-nearly all-the-way right, i.e. after auto-focus, hold right until it stops making noise, then go back only a couple of taps left.
  • The manual adjustments seem to have a lot of latency. I wonder if that’s related, there’s some latency issue in the firmware that causes the camera adjustment to overshoot too.
  • The fan is surprisingly noisy in Normal mode just sitting on the main GUI. If this was a PC, I’d be looking for a rouge task pegging a CPU, particularly combined with any hints of input latency in the UI…

Hi @TBBle it sounds like you are “catching” the autofocus before it has finished, in order to adjust it manually.

It is normal that the lens runs through the full range once, and then comes back to the point of focus. So it will pass through the focus point once and then return to it.

3 Likes

I’m only catching it because if I leave it alone, it will stay at the “went past the point of focus”, and then the auto-focus process ends.

To be clear, it starts at the point of focus, goes through the whole range, returns to the point of focus, and then keeps going a little bit to slightly blurry. So it’s passing through the point of focus twice, and doesn’t stop there the second time.

I also have an issue where the keystone is nearly correct out-of-the box, and when I hit the auto-keystone calibration, it takes the top left corner way out and away, and puts the whole screen rotated on a few-degree angle.

I tried rotating the device to make the screen level again (ignoring the keystone) and then hit level calibration, and it rotated further.

All of these systems are acting like they’re getting bad data from the various sensors (level, the little camera on the front) or are misinterpreting that data.

To fix the keystone and level calibration, I had to factory reset the whole device, because there seemed no way to tell it to just go back to the shipped defaults.

Is there some way to see diagnostic data for the auto-adjustment processes? The level-calibration one is really weird, that should just be a simple sensor.

Another thing that just occurred to me… Is there any chance that the electronics are all correct, but the mechanical assembly is attached at an offset or something, so all the adjustments are being applied against an incorrect base?

2 Likes

I’ve uploaded a video of the problem, showing both without and with manual adjustment: https://youtu.be/Ruid_7b4vOU

I shot this at work, against the projector screen there, in case the problem was related to the surface of my wall at home, but the behaviour was the same as at home.

I tried to attach the video to the forum, but apparently my 75MB video is larger than the 100000kb upload limit…?

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P Is there any plan to revisit the auto focus code implementation to make it further smooth once the critical/high priority bugs are squashed?

Yes of course it’s also in our bugs list.

3 Likes

Thats Awesome! It will be great to have a read only separate thread where bug list, planned features, fixed bugs for particular version are published. It will showcase how much effort team have already put to improve the product and roadmap planned for the product further improvements.

1 Like

Hi @aero

You can find such a list here (but it’s 24 days ago) :
Software Update v1.0.26 is available now

@Philips_Support_P
It would be great if you could update this very useful list in a read only post, where you could add new bugs and tick smashed ones ?

1 Like

Thanks @LLG. I intended to have a dedicated read only up to date thread for the bugs and features.

Your wish has been granted, I hope @Philips_Support_P is okay with how I did it:

2 Likes

Cool !
Many thanks, @IvoGrijt :+1: !

As we say in French, “maintenant, y a plus qu’à” !

@Philips_Support_P, is it possible for you to keep it up to date ?

1 Like

Hey Guys
Just got back from work and turned on the projector after 10 days … something weird, the projector did not autofocus. I had to update the software and then connect the remote and click the focus button ( i did it after turning off AUTOFOCUS SETTINGS) . i am not sure how the autofocus works actually. horizontal keystone seems to work fine. anything else i need to check guys?

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_P and @IvoGrijt

Hate to bring this auto-focus issue up again. My latest report: My ppm auto-focus is very inconsistent. I am not talking about the ‘sweet spot’ here. My ppm always spot on.

Inconsistent because the auto-focus some times work and sometimes failed to activate at all. When I move the projector to another location, I see the auto-focus graphics came up. Means ppm detect it needs to refocus. . when it work, you can hear the mechanical sound of the focusing… When it don’t work, no mechanical sound. The auto-focus graphics just came up with no physical mechanic movement.

I gently shake ppm and there was no loose sound. Anyone has same issue?

When it work, it work all the way. No matter how many times I press the button, the thing just work. But when it stopped working, AF graphics always appear but it won’t work repeatedly. No matter how many times I press AF.

1 Like

Oh… And even the AF graphics came up and when it’s not working, the graphics will not turn as well… No auto turning animation… Just appear and later disappear… Manual focus… Graphics animation will turn but no mechanical movement.

This defect is affecting my calm… A lot… It’s frustrating…

cc @Philips_Support_P and @IvoGrijt

1 Like

Kind of similar what i am facing

1 Like

Yeah… Now I can’t use ppm at all… :sob:

I have to use my back up gosho 720p projector for now… :sob::sob::sob:

You mean it progressively got worse, to the point of no longer focusing at all?

No but once it went out of focus, there is no way to re-focus…

https://app.box.com/s/s54u897vqucjqdl66m8ks9g8ywouyoz9

I don’t know how but AF will suddenly be physically available. Now at the moment… No.

I don’t know how to get it to work. Which is why it’s so frustrating… I don’t know how to trigger the physical AF to activate.