Charging cable dimensions

Hi,
I want to install the ppm on a ceiling and need the dimensions of the charging cable:

• how long is the cable from the brick to ppm?
  • is it a standard usb cable so I can change it (to get more length)?

From what I’ve read so far it’s a short 1m USB-C cable

It’s a dual video + power cable, which is why it’s really thick and short.

But you can replace with any suitable USB-C power cable that can handle 65W (i.e. 4-5 amp).

1 Like

Everything above 3A implies an e-marked cable, and they can be a maximum of 4m in length (USB-C - Wikipedia). Those long-ish cables will not support video, they’re for charging and USB2.0 only.

The video/USB3.1-capable cables maxes out at 2m lengths. For USB3.1 Gen 2 they can’t be more than 1m. HDMI 1.4 alt-mode should work with 2m cables, but I haven’t tested that myself.

Edit: The only video alt-mode supported by the PPM USB-C video port is alt-mode DP, not HDMI → Connecting laptop using USB-C cable - #21 by Philips_Support_P

1 Like

Thanks for this summary @wernerj, I didn’t know there were so many variations on USB C cables. You’ve got to check all the specs to ensure you get a cable that is USB C 3.1 Gen1, has the power delivery required, and (for me) is a usable 2m length. Lots of people are likely to get caught out by the need for such a high spec cable when lots of cables out there aren’t!

1 Like

Type-C can indeed be confusing because it’s only a physical standard and not really about the voltages, wattages, or whatsoever :sweat_smile:

So watch out on things you plug in with type-c. I’ve read articles about burning or breaking type-c ports just by plugging in incompatible cables.

1 Like

This at least used to be a major issue going from USB-A to USB-C (wrong CC-pin resistors in the cable resulting in overcurrent events). The risk is now significantly smaller when using USB-C to USB-C cables and native USB-C chargers. All USB-C cables has to support 3A of current. The incompatibility regarding full-featured cables/e-marked cables will unfortunately continue for quite a while. Most equipment isn’t displaying sane error messages even though they know it’s an incompatible cable (you’re not supposed to be able to activate HDMI alternate mode using a charging-only USB-C cable like the one shipped with a MacBook Pro for instance)