General info about shipment and manufacturing

What about the 4th list. ? PhilipsNoNo said last night, doesn’t he ?

1 Like

Yes the list was promised for last night, still waiting for it…

So…even the first project backer from the country which only have one backer. The first backer will never get the projector before the other countrys shipped? It doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Hi @IvoGrijt,

First of all, great to see you finally on the Philips team since you have been doing most of communication anyway. Unfortunately, as you mentioned elsewhere, this means you can’t fall back to not bring Philips any more. Now I don’t know how it could happen so quickly but your logic has gone awry so soon after joining Philips team. Leaving the rest of it aside, simply the comparison to a normal online purchase alone is flawed. You yourself have taken the position several guineas that backing is different from simple purchase and now you do not believe in that any more. That’s a bit too convenient on Phillips’ part to twist the conversation.

The questions around wrong order within country/ region are valid as they highlight that Phillips is not even following their much stated position. As for the IGG list causing the problem/more questions, it had just made the problem visible which was hidden (intentionally or unintentionally) behind Backer ID based lists.

7 Likes

Agreed…But this should have been specified in the begining itself.hopefully the do a better run campaign next time

1 Like

As soon as I saw that the contribution ID list was published, I thought: This is going to backfire.

Who ever thought it was a good idea to do this before checking if they stuck to their plans of shipping really wasn’t paying attention and will never win a chess game.

@IvoGrijt, you havent quite reply me actually.

You and @Vin mentioned explicitly that within the same region, the order of distribution should be in accordance to Contribution ID#. And Vin agreed if it is not, then there may be some issue. So what we are asking is a legitimate and logical question - did you guys overlooked, did our orders go thru, did we pay to someone else? I am not even comparing Conribution ID# from different countries, as I know that it is reasonable to group and deliver the orders by country/region. By all accounts, this is a successful campaign, and Philips or Screeneo should hire sufficient staff to address these issues.

Back to my question, if you will so kindly reply. My contribution ID#11894 (from Singapore). I noted that Contribution ID# 16710 and 13619 (both also from Singapore) are already in List 3. At this point, I dont even want to know the reason for being skipped, just let me know if I will be in List 4 (to be shipped out on 18 May). Thanks.

3 Likes

Reading what a night you had I’m sure everyone can relate to the emotion you express here. There’re plenty of statements your description fits. But it’s condescending and counterproductive. The people you’re talking about won’t read it and see the light, and those with genuine concerns rightly feel like they’re not taken seriously.

Generally asking “where’s my stuff?” is not a genuine concern, but most inquiries here are related to information that was previously provided. If you tell me something is happening tonight, it’s perfectly reasonable to ask why it didn’t. Not because someone is unreasonbly impatient, but to stay abreast of a now “live” situation they were led to expect an update on. It’s not okay to blame them for that. And to be completely honest, there’s been enough unexplained delays, packages “lost in warehouses” for weeks, packages in HK that were said to be in Germany, missed flights, returned to sender without notice etc., that I can completely understand backers asking for an update to make sure nothing’s gone wrong.

This is a tough situation to be in, and I’m not blaming you or the great team at Screeneo. I fully trust that whatever is going on is out of your control, and that everyone will get their projectors. But backers have been too patient with too much funky stuff to be called whiny babies.

7 Likes

First post here but have been following the forum for the last couple of months especially to get updates on when my projector would be shipped. was happy to find out that i’m in the updated list 3 (additional 180 pieces).

Just some thoughts on the entire shipping issue.

When the project was backed, I supposed everyone has to pay for a shipping fee, at least I did had to pay 29 euros for shipping to Singapore. I suppose this shipping fee was calculated based on how much it would cost to send a single (ie: ONE) projector from HK to whichever country the backer wants the PPM sent to.

Now shipping is something which is based on economy of scale. If Philips can send one entire pallet of PPM, the per unit shipping cost will be much cheaper than sending just one unit of PPM. eg: if Philips has to pay 29 euros to send one PPM from HK to SG, it would have cost them less to send 100 pcs of PPM from HK to SG at the same time. instead of needing to pay 2900 euros for shipping the 100 pcs, they may only need to pay 2800 euros for the 100 pcs.

However, all the above is based on NORMAL situation where thousands of flights are flying everywhere all over the world and air shipping can be done on passenger flights when there is excess cargo space.

In today’s context where passenger flights have dropped tremendously, the cost of air freight has also risen. Flying a plane from point A to point B has a fixed cost and this is usually “shared” among the passengers and freight forwarders who ship air cargo out via passenger planes. With global air travel almost at non-existent today, there is no more passengers to “share” the cost of flying the same plane from point A to point B. So if someone wants to ship something out by air, the cost of air freight will become much higher.

For global freight forwarders like DHL, Fedex, UPS, etc who operate their own planes which fly only cargo, they are not affected by no passengers. However with so many countries undergoing some form of lock down, factories are closed and there’s no products being manufactured to be shipped out by air. So I believe these global freight forwarders also have to cut their capacity and wait for more cargo to be consolidated before performing a flight. This should be part of the reason (at least i guess) why the flight on 10 May was cancelled, simply because it’s not cost effective for DHL to fly a plane which doesn’t have enough cargo to send.

Some could/have argued that why they had received purchases from other online platforms (Eg: taobao, aliexpress, etc) during these period and still got their shipments fast. You need to remember that you are not the only person from your country doing the online purchases from these platforms. There are millions of transactions going on on these platforms daily and there could be hundreds if not thousands of other people from your country buying from the platforms. So as long as these platforms have enough cargo, they can send out the shipment.

Now many would say (or had said) that this is not my problem since I had paid for shipping and Philips has to send the PPM out to me regardless of how much it costs. We must not forget that Philips is a company and the purpose of a company/business is to make money. In order to make money, the revenue must be higher than the cost. They could lose money for some users on the shipping but overall they must make money. Else there is no purpose to run a company/business or make a product at all.

For the order of shipping, Philips had mentioned that it would be based on the sequence each backer had backed. I would assume that this would be the case in a NORMAL global situation. But with the whole global situation on flights now, this would most likely be changed. Instead of just needing to see how many backers in each country to send the PPMs to, there’s also the issue of increased air freight cost as well as countries restriction.

So in order to keep the air freight costs low, i believe Philips has to consolidate to send multiple units of PPM per country at one go rather than send each piece individually (which is not cost effective). So this could be why there are gaps in the contribution IDs and the shipping is not in sequence. eg: in country A there are 500 backers whereas in country B there are only 5 backers. So the first 200 backers in country A could receive their PPM first whereas backers in country B would need to wait for all PPMs for the country are manufactured before they are shipped out. Again, this is what i would assume and might not be the true scenario.

As for the question on why some later backers in a country would be getting their PPM earlier than the earlier backers, my only conclusion is that someone had screwed up on the allocation. There are 2 sets of IDs being used, contribution ID as well as backerkit ID. I believe that someone could have accidentally used the backerkit ID for allocation instead of the contribution ID. I have come to this conclusion based on the contribution ID and backerkit ID which were shared by some of the backers from Singapore. While these backers have a lower contribution ID, the backerkit ID was much higher. However while my contribution ID is much higher, my backerkit ID was much lower than them and I am on the updated list 3. In fact i was surprised to be on the additional 180 pcs list as i had hoped to be on the next shipment instead.

Anyway, all backers should get their PPMs eventually. I have lived my life without a PPM and life still goes on as per normal. I just feel that it isn’t worth getting angry or frustrated over a piece of product which may just marginally improve one’s life.

6 Likes

Fantastically put :clap:

If they did not sleep, they might not have had a night at all :wink:

1 Like

You’re missing the point with this:

For the order of shipping, Philips had mentioned that it would be based on the sequence each backer had backed. I would assume that this would be the case in a NORMAL global situation. But with the whole global situation on flights now, this would most likely be changed. Instead of just needing to see how many backers in each country to send the PPMs to, there’s also the issue of increased air freight cost as well as country restriction.
So in order to keep the air freight costs low, i believe Philips has to consolidate to send multiple units of PPM per country at one go rather than send each piece individually (which is not cost-effective). So this could be why there are gaps in the contribution IDs and the shipping is not in sequence. eg: in country A there are 500 backers whereas in country B there are only 5 backers. So the first 200 backers in country A could receive their PPM first whereas backers in country B would need to wait for all PPMs for the country are manufactured before they are shipped out. Again, this is what i would assume and might not be the true scenario.

Yes indeed, what you describe is exactly what everybody expects but the new list with contribution IDs shows that people from Singapore who backed with high IDs will receive their PPM before people with low IDs. That can’t be the case, right? As you say, orders should be fulfilled in the right sequence per country. There are not many people here saying that full backer sequence should be followed. By now, we all understand the basics of international shipping.

So your answer as to why it happened anyway is simply put: ‘Because someone didn’t do their job.’

Also:

I just feel that it isn’t worth getting angry or frustrated over a piece of product which may just marginally improve one’s life.

Come on, it’s not even about being able with or without the PPM. It’s about spending a lot of money on a crowdfunding campaign and then having to wait many times longer than originally projected and that again and again new projections turn out not to be true, partially due to COVID19, partially due to overconfident and naive Screeneo staff.

4 Likes

Thank you for the information!

Ok, I get this. In this case where can I find the list of contributors by country and their place in the list (by country) I doubt they respect it either. Sorry. Don’t trust anymore. Contribution 12289 from October 2019

1 Like

@Meghal, @Tristan, @Wayne_Yang, @rharishan, @Snir, @Savas_Vural, @Gsde, @Alexbird_Chong, @Liersi, @blagerweij, and anyone else reading this not replying, who felt I was condescending in my previous remarks,

I’d like to offer my most heartfelt apologies.

I had a very rough few days trying to get up to speed, to delve into everything going on (that most of you don’t nor need to know of),and still produce the information and results demanded so vigorously by you and myself. And I won’t even go into the effects on or the demands from my family life.

So because of the fact that I’m also human I reacted in a way that was less than becoming of myself, Philips Projection, or you, my fellow backers and now also clients. This is not an excuse but rather an explanation for my actions yesterday.

For those waiting on the list: I haven’t put the final edition together as I’m also confused as to what’s going on exactly, either I missed something in the briefings or there’s a logical reason behind the missing numbers, even within the same country like @Meghal and @Alexbird_Chong have pointed out a. I simply don’t know the answer to that yet, I’m busy trying to figure this out.

What I wanted to say but couldn’t find my regular patience and eloquence to do so was that the incessant and similar requests or chiming in, however warranted and self-brought-on like @Tristan pointed out they may be, are not helping at the moment! If you see someone posting something similar to your view, sentiment, or otherwise, a simple Like of that post would suffice to show us you’re also behind that sentiment. Like even now we are 20-odd posts later and I still haven’t managed to get the answers needed as I’m spending time reading it all.

I’m was and am still here for you guys, not really for Philips Projection nor myself. I got a beautifully working projector on February 1st, and I could’ve just resigned to reading these forums and posting every now and again. But I opted to serve in your benefit, fulfilled or not yet, so you could all enjoy the PPM like I do. So please whatever you do, do not question my motives or loyalty, and try to forgive me if I too show my human fallibility from time to time. I for one will keep working to help you all, and will try harder to not loose my cool.

Agreed? :relieved: Then just like this post.

Anyone still wanting to comment otherwise, please feel free to do so. Depending on how many do so I may move the conversation elsewhere where it’s still public but not in this thread here.

42 Likes

So is there an update on Shipment List 4 ? In progress / on hold / waiting for forwarder ? Which regions will be covered in the shipment (eu / us / asia) ?

1 Like

The raw data is sitting right in front of me, I just need to do the magic to connect and extract the IGG ID’s from it to post. But before doing all that I want to get a clearer answer to the questiosn posed above.

4 Likes

Brilliant, thanks for that update (and goodluck with the VLOOKUPs)

2 Likes

Which regions will be covered in Shipment List 4 ? EU / US / ASIA / ???

That is some of the information I don’t know exactly, it seems to me to be backers in many countries, I haven’t figured out which are left in or out. I just get the list of Backerkit ID’s and join that with the IGG ID’s, I’m not selecting who’s on the list as I’m not dealing with the shippers myself regarding this.

1 Like