iPhone, iOS and the PPM

@Philips_Support_N

Thanks for posting the videos.

What I understand from this thread so far is that we can connect an iOS device to the PPM via USB-C (that supports charge + video) and we should be able to stream anything on the PPM that we can on the iOS device. (Is this USB-C to USB-C only or will it work with a lightning to USB-C cable?) But we cannot do wireless streaming of certain content because that is somehow protected differently. Is that correct?

Maybe the real question I have is this: Why can I cast from iOS to a ChromeCast dongle, but not from iOS directly to the PPM?

Hi, I am using airplay mirroring. When I play 1080p videos from my camera roll it lags terribly. More like a stutter.

The videos came from my pocket osmo and save it through my camera roll. I am on a 50mbps internet so I’m sure that is not the problem. Please look into this. Thanks

Hello, this depends also on your router/network.
We can check but on our side it works properly in our network environment

Playing Netflix over airplay is also not working on apple tv because Netflix has a drm protection like other apps. So this is not Philips fault. I will do some tests with other apps as soon as I receive my ppm.

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing out that the Lightning to USB-C that Apple provides with the iPhone will not transmit video.

To transmit video can we use a lightning to USB-C with video capabilities OR will we need a lightning to USB-C adapter and then a USB-C to USB-C video cable? OR is the best way via HDMI?

This last part about the cables has me confused. What is the “BEST” way using a cable from the iPhone? Would it be HDMI or USB-C? If you can even send a link to some cables that would be helpful.

Nothing I can find talks about being able to do video using a lightning to USB-C cable. That’s not to say it can’t be done, I just can’t find anything that says it can be done. I have not tried it with either of my lightning to USB-C cables as of yet. I will try to do that tonight.

With that said, for those of us with an iPhone, it sounds like the only way to make this work may be to get the lightning to HDMI adapter and connect to the PPM using HDMI. As stated by Philips earlier, no protected content (except YouTube) can be streamed wirelessly from the iPhone (currently). However, I refuse to spend $50 on a lightning to HDMI converter when I was under the impression that the PPM was “Completely Apple Ready.”

I would really like for @Philips_Support_N to give some insight on my earlier question regarding ChromeCast. i.e. Why can I cast from my iPhone to a ChromeCast dongle connected to the PPM, but I’m not able to cast from my iPhone directly to the PPM?

About wired video output on Apple devices

Yes, PicoPix Max is completely Apple ready: you can connect whichever wired video cable your Apple device supports to the PicoPix Max, and it will work.

Lightning-to-USB-C cable will not work for video

This cable does not support video output. More info

This is not a problem of PicoPix Max. iPhones don’t support USB-C video. Only iPad Pro with built-in USB-C port supports it, and even then the cable included with the iPad Pro may not work for video, it’s for charging only. The cable included with PicoPix supports both charging + video.

Our recommendations

For iPhones the best way is to use Lightning-to-HDMI adapter. iPhones do not support wired video output using any other method* to any other device, regardless if it’s PicoPix or an LG monitor.

(*Lightning-to-VGA adapter is available but PicoPix doesn’t have a VGA input.)

For iPad Pro, please use a USB-C video cable (“high speed USB-C cable”). The cable included with PicoPix Max works great for this.

For recent Macs with USB-C port, included USB-C cable will work fine.
For older Macs with HDMI, please use a standard HDMI cable.

To reiterate, these are limitation of the Apple devices, not of PicoPix Max.

3 Likes

No, it really does not work properly. Tested with a different wifi network in a different place and its consistently laggy. Please look into this for the next update. You can do it. Thanks!

Thanks for the video demo. Do you mean that video is laggy when using AirPlay?

My experience is the opposite. When I do YouTube Cast, the video is some stutter. When I use AirPlay the YouTube video, it is very smooth.

I am using mesh WiFi fibre 500mbps. I think speed is not a problem.

Hello, if we use SmartYoutube there is no issues on our Max, if you select 4K yes it will stutter.
Did you check the resolution?

@Philips_Support_N
Hello, I am almost the same situation as others. I am using PPM in Japan. And I can connect Airplay from the iPad but I cannot see any apps contents. just black screen and don’t start any content. What is the cause of this problem? region or adjustment for iOS??

Below is the more detail situation

From iPad
youtube: work
amazon prime:slight_smile: doesn’t work
Hulu ( for Japan): doesn’t work

From Mac book mirroring the main screen
Upper site works from google chrome

Also, all pre-installed apps in PPM don’t work in Japan. I try to use Amazon prime, but it doesn’t work, it doesn’t start the contents… I cannot click in each content…

Hope you update the software for Asia region, too!
Thanks,

I tested using Smart YouTube on the PPMax to play 4K 60fps video is smooth. No problems with it.

I connected my iPad Pro with your PPM USB C and played Spiderverse. While the video played fine, I had no sound. Any suggestions?

Same with me. No sound with iPad Pro and USB C, using the USB C cable that came with the PPM

Although this thread is making me nervous about the lack of ‘seamless’ iOS integration, we should all remember that some of the limitations here are not caused on the Philips side, but on the Android side or the vendor of the App. For instance see this article from the Verge that shows that Netflix has killed Airplay support from their iOS app altogether:

and as you can see on Netflix’ own support page:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/49

This means that airplay-ing a Netflix show is not only impossible from iOS to the Picomax but impossible from iOS to ANY 3rd party device (TV, Mediaset, streaming devices etc): even Apple’s own AppleTV device (so Airplaying Netflix from iOS to iOS is not even allowed/possible anymore).

@Philips_Support_P @Philips_Support_N One more thing I realized that I thought would be possible on the PPM…

I thought we would be able to listen in on TWO sets of bluetooth headphones. Was this or is this still the plan or am I completely wrong on this one? For example, if my wife and I are both trying to listen on our airpods, only one of us can listen at a time although we both have synced our Airpods to the PPM. Can it only transfer audio to one bluetooth source at this time? Is this something a future update may correct?

Thanks!

3 Likes

You’re not wrong. Please see this post for more info about this topic.

1 Like

Just sad. I was so looking forward to cast and watch my purchased movies from apple via pico. So this is an ios or specific app limitations. Can Philips then Make a wider selection of apps for direct download make it native to the projector. I use for example Hoopla (digital library software for free movies)not just the subscription type video stream services. Speaking of which can you post how to videos on the VPN and VLC on the unit? Thank you!

You can download the apps you need from the Aptoid store. We don’t want Philips to fill the PPM with apps most of us won’t use.

1 Like

when usung the usb-c cable and watching video from ipad pro, the sound only comes via the internal ppx speakers not the bluetooth speakers. (work fine with internal apps) any solution to that?