PicoPix Max Reviews

I think this is really unprofessional. People have the right to share their problems or critics at you. Especially if they are using your own advertisement as reference for what to expect. I think if you want to run under the Philips flag you should totally accept, swallow listen and improve instead of attacking your own customers…

Sure, and thousands of people are doing so on this forum. The particular user in question here was consistently rude and not constructive – almost all their posts were flagged 5+ times by the rest of the community.

No, the user was using other completely different products as comparison.

As I wrote above, the particular complaints were systemic (i.e. related to the entire product) and not possible to improve by software updates. Due to this we offered the customer full money back. This is not “attacking.”

1 Like

mogo pro compared to ppm:
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/28/03/2020/test-xgimi-mogo-pro-lavis-de-gregory/

I like Greogry’s tests very much, but to be honest he should compare PPM with XGIMI Halo (800 lumens) rather than Mogo Pro (300 lumens) model.

I believe that he does not have the halo:
https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/14/03/2020/xgimi-halo-dlp-led-1080p/#comment-29174

Backer Review - Beta Tester:

Good:
The unit is small and full featured with ports and memory options.
USB-C Power (not a proprietary barrel connector)
Lumens (bright and usable in a lit-room)

Bad:
Weight (Actually compared to other portable Pico Projectors, this thing is heavy)
Air Remote (not a very useful item and is the only way to control Auto-Focus)
USB-C Power Adapter is picky (3A or 4Amp power required) not compatible with Apple Adapter
Picky with USB-C Video - need Thunderbolt Cable
AOSP Android is a terrible build. The App Store is not stable and the built-in apps are all third party apps - I personally do not connect with 3rd party apps. Too much room for security/password breach.

Overall the projector seems very much like a knock-off device that is found on many online websites. For a department that is part of a bigger corporation, it is interesting that it was allowed to release it in the state it is in. I think it is better to say this is a good “Project” projector, for those that are into Raspberry Pi or other single board computer DIY. Over time there is communication that the group handling this product is looking to correct the issues that arise. That is a good thing,

With that said, I personally cannot recommend this projector for consumers or vital business.

3 Likes

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blog/index.php/25/04/2020/test-xgimi-halo-lavis-de-gregory/

Blockquote
The undisputed champion of autonomy remains the Philips PicoPix Max, which is the only one that allows you to broadcast a film without recharging.
For picture quality, the most convincing is the Xgimi Halo which benefits from a larger DMD chip (even if it is not yet fully Full HD) and better brightness.

Backer review, after 6 months

Pro: lumens, is really bright for a “pico” size
i like Airmote, is like to have a mouse after a little time you can use it easily
is small and portable, is good to have battery to see a movie, but not always in normal light mode and not for sure inin full light mode (ppt mode)

Cons:
a noisy fan is always on and you can feel the wind 1m far from;
since day 1 problems with software, no color ajustment, sometimes problems in connection with bluetooh, FOTA released until now still not give us solutions for a lot of problems arised during 6 months, just some minor upgrades but still problems with apps, noise, still problems with colour ajustements, focus, etc…

OK OK it was an Indigogo pre sell…of I don’t know how many PPM and more than 6billions dollars…but campaign is ended from a while now and I’m not sure they will sell this product after that…Someone have seen the ppm in some store or on internet? I Didn’t. You can buy a lot of new pico projectors now, from others brands of course…

the touchpad on the ppm is useless, you cannot really use it without having your image moving and shaking…

as told by others using the software i feel like i’m using a chinese tablet with unofficial android version, unofficial appstore, problems in installing any new normal (and well known) app, problem in using amazon prime, netflix, kodi, youtube… not what you want from a philips product.
PPM characteristics change if you are using external sources (hdmi) or internal; is quite difficult to manage it!
If you have to use sources from the hdmi port you cannot use the zoom, the bluetooth…

Image look much better using external sources by the hdmi port than using internal sources, even if they say is native full hd, i’m quite sure that is “native” full hd only using external sources,with internal sources you have much less quality images.

After several months I’m really disappointed with this projector, at the beginning i was excited to have it, but now…asap i will try to resell it in order to buy something better.

And just to put the cherry on the top, a lot of problems in communications, on the Indiegogo blog and here, a lot of unclear answers, a lot of misleading informations, Is really disappointing to see that in association with one of the last europeans electronic brands

1 Like

Kind of funny - but as I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered a newer LG Pico, it came with WebOS, built-in digital TV tuner, two HDMI ports (one ARC support), USB-C, manual focus, 600 lumen, real remote.

The comparison between these two projectors are night and day.
LG PF50KA Pros:
Native 1080p
Remote with all media functions
Projector has media function on the top
Digital TV Tuner
WebOS
Native Netflix, Disney, Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, and more

Cons:
1" larger on front and side.
Slightly dimmer display
Needs Barrel Connector Adapter to power it (but has built-in battery)

1 Like

The LG is also almost 50% more expensive then the PPM! (At Indiegogo pricing)

1 Like

Hi, Actually the Projector mentioned is current at $580.00 USD. Still within the same pricing lines of the Pico Max…

Again, it really depends on the two schools of thought here with consumers in mind.

1. Will the consumer accept an ongoing project?
  2. Will this damage future products for Philips?
1 Like

Not at Australian prices!

This LG projector is not really easily available right now (no stock available on various market places) and therefore there is no discount at the moment. In Europe, before the covid its price was in the 480-600 EUR range, so same range price than ppm.

PPM actually is less available than the LG projector… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Only in boring white (unfortunatelly)

Kind of interesting you say that - because I was able to buy two of them from BestBuy (USA).

I just received my PicoPix last week and already watch a film over the weekend. But I was alway curious how it compares to a “real” projector. Below I just took 2 pictures in the office today.

PicoPix on Presentation Mode ca. 800lm (about 500€ when I bought it, now 800€)
Acer P1650 in Normal Mode ca. 2800lm (about 500€ when we bought it)
The noise of the Acer is about 2x more but it is more far away from the viewers and th sound is on low frequencys. It was a bit cloudy today, but also on sunny days the Acer is visible.

The colleagues loved the tiny design of the PicoPix and maybe they want one for out of office meetings.

2 Likes

Are you sure you have it in Presentation Mode? Going by the ambient light, it should be much brighter than that.

My replacement has just arrived and I was keen to try it out.
It’s better than I hoped. On a bright day in a small room with a large window, projected against a green wall, it gave a clear image.
The software has a few niggles. I can see now why lots of people have updated Netflix - as soon as you open it, it tells you to. If you weren’t part of this forum you’d never think to say “No”. That needs fixing.
Fan noise massively reduced by the update. Well done for listening to feedback and doing something about it.
I played a few YouTube videos and they were clear and smooth.
The update was smooth.
The remote Bluetooth partnering worked well.
I’ll give an update later after trying:

• to watch a film.
  • to download some office apps
    But for the moment it’s a massive thumbs up
4 Likes

Yay!

:partying_face: :film_projector:

Don’t drop it in the pool this time around!

1 Like