Poor Amazon Prime video Quality - Any updates?

Using 1.0.25, also the color profile inside of the internal prime app seems dark. (no similar issues with smart youtube or using the fire stick in the back).

You can go to settings in the Prime app and change the stream quality. I current use the second option, the “Best” option is too pixelated for me

It would be better to have the chance to use the “prime tv”-app - but this app doesn’t work on my picopix. The feeling of the tv-app is a bit more like on the fire-tv-stick and not like the preinstalled App.

Hello,

i have a an huge quality problem with amazon video when i use the app and the wifi. It’s not good too if i use airplay(very pixel and poor definition)

But it’s very good if i use my laptop with the usb c connect.

It’s not my network , i have verify.

Could you find an issue for this “bug”.

Thanks

I’m using version 3.0.265.20357 of Prime without any issues, can you update to that one? Someone else tried it and indicated it was not in HD, but Prashant offered some advice on this.

I’ve seen this mentioned by lots of people both here on the forum as well as on FB. Yet I don’t recognize my experience of the PPM in these remarks, and its been bothering me to think that there might be something wrong with the user experience others are seeing.

Since I don’t have two PPM’s (yet) I decided to try the following: I connected my iPhone 8 Plus via the Lightning to HDMI AV adapter from Apple to the PPM‘s HDMI input. I then started the Amazon Prime app on my phone and played back a part of Interstellar, watched about 4 minutes to get a general feel for the quality shown via this external setup. I then paused the video, pressed the Home button on the AirRemote and started the Amazon Prime app on the PPM, went to the same movie, and opted to Resume watching.

I couldn’t tell the quality difference if any from doing so, the image appeared just as crisp and in the same resolution, and rewinding back a bit showed the same performance during action sequences and the same color definition as I had seen via HDMI.

So what’s going on that’s causing some people to prefer to use external sources due to “bad quality”? Or is it just the UI that is lacking and leading to the use of FireTV’s, AppleTV’s, and other devices?

If someone has two PPMs please try them side by side, or if not, by doing it my way. I can’t see the difference, both are as high in resolution and quality.

Service: Amazon Prime Video client
App Name: Amazon Prime
App Version: 30.267.38057
Source: Aptoide Store
PPM Firmware version : 1.0.27
Full HD: Yes
Remote Support: Works with Standard remote, sometimes needs mouse interaction
Notes: I noticed that the Settings screen mentions that this version is a Beta version, which is how I got it from the Aptoide store, nothing to do with Philips Beta testing AFAIK.
These are my settings by the way, check the steaming quality setting on yours if you’re having “bad quality” issues.

1 Like

Hello,

i’m sorry for this slowly answer but i’ve must work this week with our ENY corona.
Thanks for your very complete response, i try to test and verify yours solutions and i’ll be back after.

good weekend

1 Like

Just Updated Amazon Prime today but still the image quality degrades with time. Though in my computer i can watch the same video Full HD but it keeps pixelating in PPMAX Amazon Prime app. Anyone else facing the same issue?
@Philips_Support_P any feedback?
thanks

Are you using 2,4 GHz or 5GHz WiFi? Also, which version is your Amazon Prime app now?
And what settings do you have set in the Streaming quality screen (see 3 posts above)?

@IvoGrijt I updated the Amazon Prime app yesterday from Aptitode Tv. I am using 5Ghz with 50Mbps line. settings are set as best.

Faisal, there are many versions available, and your “latest version” today might be an older version tomorrow. When reporting problems or working solutions, try to always mention the exact version number please. Could you look it up and let me know the exact version number? Thanks!

Got it mate
The version is 3.0.269.106747

I’ll update to that and try it out, see if I can reproduce your experience.

Hi guys.
Love my PicoPix. But I’m having issues with the Amazon Prime app. The quality of the video always defaults to terrible. As you know, the app is the one deciding on the quality of the video depending on internet speed and you cannot change it. I have a 100mpbs connection and for me, Prime is just unwatchable. I think it goes to 420p or something.
Has anybody else experienced this? Any fixes?

Actually, you can change the quality in the app settings. Please try that. I have it set to best and didn’t notice any problems with the video quality.

1 Like

Thanks, will try it out.

Never tried the Prime app for the 2 months that I’ve had the PPM, recently made some purchases and signed up for the free month prime trial so thought I will give it a go,
There are at least 2 different versions of the prime app in the aptoide tv store, tried this version 3.0.272.9157 and wasn’t impressed, I’m not sure if it’s mentioned before but why isn’t anyone using the other prime app the current version is 5.2.10-googleplay-armv7a Build 505002010, is there any security issues that I don’t know of ?
Because I found this app much better than the 3.0.272.9157 that’s been suggested , much more user friendly no airmote needed, and much better streaming quality, the only downside is you can’t download for offline viewing, or at least I haven’t found it yet, I would say this app is much better and easier to use than the Netflix app video quality is also on par

Here is a link for it but I just downloaded directly from Aptoide Tv store, so far I’m very happy with this app,
https://apkpure.com/br/prime-video-android-tv/com.amazon.amazonvideo.livingroom

5 Likes

I’ve used the Prime App on Android devices for a long time. A few general observations:

• The app will very aggressively reduce quality while streaming if there is network congestion. Even if you set “best”, it will drop all the way to lowest quality if that’s all your actual connection to the server will support. I’ve had real problems on hotel WiFi, VPN, etc keeping high quality streaming
  • if you are going to offline a title, make absolutely sure it fully downloads. If there is even 1% remaining to download, the app chooses to stream the whole title instead of using the 99% downloaded
  • the app can make some really poor decisions about scaling video. Even if you have high quality source fully offlined, it still looks “blocky” everywhere, because the app is scaling the video. This will appear as uniform blockiness everywhere, instead of some parts of the frame having more compression artifacts than others. In the upper right of the app is a three dot menu with the option “zoom in”. See if that changes the blockiness of the video…

As an aside, proprietary media ecosystems with poor cross platform performance like Prime App are a big part of why I never buy media through these types of vendors. The other is the possibility of the vendor going out of business, losing their license to provide that content, or getting bought out by another company that drops the license to that media. Buy the Blu Ray and rip it to your own media center software that you control for the best watching experience!

1 Like

Thank you for your tip! I Just installed your recommended version and it is so better than the pre-installed app. Super happy with the image quality. Not being able to Use the cursor is a minor issue.

1 Like

Can’t wait to test this Version, Thanks!

1 Like