Remove the bloated battery

I couldn’t find an answer about whether the project still works without a battery, so I decided to try it out.

The battery was bloated.

Unscrew the 4 Philips screws at the bottom and open the bottom case.

Open the top case (no screw) and detach the power cable (the longest one in black, yellow, red). Careful to the touchpad cable!

Then the battery can be removed. It was glued to the main body, so I applied a little force to pull it out.

The projector still works when connected to the stock charger and without the battery. The UI shows “0% charged”. Red & blue LED flashing persists.

I noticed that my battery cable was not fully plugged into the socket on the motherboard. Not sure whether it caused the charging issue (red-blue flashing).

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, it will be useful… my battery is starting to grow too…

Same thing happened to me, but Philips Support said that as it was already 2 years and 1 month (that is, 1 month after the warranty expired) I was on my own.

I told them that I was happy to pay, but they said they wouldn’t help at all, either finding a repair shop, sharing some documentation with instructions or helping find replacement batteries.

I’ve ended up doing the same thing as in this thread (removing the battery), but this is very disappointing coming from a big brand like Philips. I was indeed thinking of buying the new PicoPix, but after this experience not only won’t I buy it, but I’m advising everyone to steer away from it.

2 Likes

This is really helpful, thank you.
I have removed the bulging battery on mine following your instructions (Philips said they would not do anything as >2 years old) and the projector still seems to work fine.

Note to others, failing batteries (e.g. bulging, leaking, etc) are a fire risk and should not be charged.
Mine had the red/blue flashing lights when plugged in the entire time I’ve owned it (normally unplugged when not in use) so not sure if that’s related to the battery failing.
The battery cable on mine was properly attached to the motherboard before I removed it.

1 Like

Hello community!
Our engineers in China made a video to show you how to change a bloated battery:

Best regards,

7 Likes

Thanks for the video. Where can we get a replacement battery though?

1 Like

please contact our customer care at philips.projector.eu@screeneo.com

1 Like

I also found the battery bloated today. Thanks for the advice. It is not necessary to remove all the cables and motherboard screws as shown in the video.

Good is that the projector also works without the battery and that the covers are not glued.

hello if one day need to place my battery where do i buy the new battery ?
pleace put up a link here so we know where to get it in the future thanks.

Hello, please reach us by email to support@philipsprojection.com

1 Like

Any 3rd party making similar battery please post

I have the exact same problem now! It scared the shit out of me, I guess I’ll be doing this as well since nobody has replied to my post

No need of esd protection, no esd mat or esd wristband… :partying_face::partying_face:

This was super useful, thanks.

Anyway my experience was a bit different:

1. You need something much more stronger than fingernails to open the case
  2. There is no need to remove the motherboard, if the case is open and you see the battery cable, that’s it, just unplug it and you are done with that part
  3. The battery is glued to the case with an adhesive strip, so it’s really hard to remove it

Mine

He obviously knows which cable goes where. The rest of us would be better off taking a photo before removing all the cables.

Also, he apparently grew his thumbnails just for a task like this :grin:

:frowning: inaly I removed my bloated battery too. I din’t remove the mainboard. But after the action, bluetoth doesn:t work any more. No devices were found now :frowning:
I guess, no help from philips. So partially bricked now.

Hello, just to remind you that on our side, we provide FREE batteries for replacements.

2 Likes