Serious bug on 1.1.0 [Overheating] <- Fixed in v1.1.01

Turn off CEC at the AppleTV also.

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P can you have a look at this?

1 Like

how to turn off CEC at apple tv and PPMAX?

it’s not working on any cec device I’ve connected…

Turn it off at the settings->remote app and devices->turn on your TV with your remote

When I turned it off, ppm will not wake up on its own anymore. So no chance for heating up.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions.

But I’ll like to reiterate the two key points:

1. Most devices support HDMI CEC by default. Not just Apple TVs (e.g. PlayStations and NVIDIA Shields). Leaving this feature on the PP Max unfixed and enabled by default may put people at risk of a significant safety issue as a result of overheating.

2. Based on some threads by other people in this forum (Search: CEC), it appears that a unit may have damaged as a result of this bug, and another case where the unit was so hot that they had trouble holding down the power button to turn it off .

This raises another concern, on whether the device has a safety mechanism to shutdown automatically in event of a cooling failure / overheat.

Not everyone who purchased/funded this projector is as tech-savvy as most of us here.

I’m not trying to be an alarmist here, but this projector will be placed in many bedrooms and living rooms, sometimes with kids around. Any potential for an overheating concern can become a safety issue.

3 Likes

According to @Philips_Support_P, there’s a safety automatic shutdown if certain level of temperature reached.

Hello everyone, FYI we are aware of this issue and are looking into it at urgent priority.

6 Likes

Thank you very much @duncan, the problem was fixed now via:

2 Likes

disabling is NOT a fix…

1 Like

It’s a temporal fix… It’s better than having to risk burning up the ppm.

With 1.1.02, it just did the “turn itself on” thing again. The PPM was on, I took a phone call which caused KDE connect to pause Kodi. The PPM went to screensaver after a few min, then PPM seemed to go to standby, then the yellow-orange “No Signal” screen popped up some minutes later. I waited as long as I could stand it to see if the fan would come on, which it didn’t. I finally powered PPM on myself just to make the fan go on. All three HDMI CEC settings were selected off in hidden settings -> Device preferences -> Inputs. No USBC or HDMI sources were connected to device, only AirMote and a BT speaker was paired.

I say again, selecting off CEC has NOT fixed the self power on without fan and overheat bug!

1 Like

But did it actually go to standby or off mode? also it says you’re a beta tester so I’m assuming you’re not currently running any beta firmware?

1 Like

Does PPM have a screensaver? Perhaps you turned it on in the hidden menu? Is that even supported?
Can try disabling it if you did turned it on?

1 Like

Perhaps it has to do with this again

2 Likes

I had turned on the screensaver in the hidden menu since 1.0.26 version. However, I did NOT enable Android sleep after 5 minutes, but that setting was set in that same menu also. I disabled both for the time being, and will monitor the situation…

2 Likes

Seems the issue is fixed now, i think this was related to the other issues and not CEC. Please continue the discussion here: Auto Turn-off Function Weird Behavior

1 Like

This is not correct information. The bug was NOT fixed by disabling HDMI CEC. The bug is related to Android auto sleep setting in hidden settings.

Thanks to @IvoGrijt for re-opening this.

2 Likes