USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops

The other way around, the DisplayPort signal coming in from the USB-C port in alt-mode DP will be converted to HDMI for internal processing. The HDMI port is fed straight to the input selector, and the video output from internal Android is also a straight-up HDMI, which means that the V56 video chip will only have three different HDMI sources to switch between.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just recently got my PPM and not been able to successfully connect it to my Macbook Pro (2019) via USB-C. Getting a no signal screen. I have been using the accompanying cable that came with the PPM. Iā€™ve connecting the same Macbook Pro with a HDMI (via an official apple dongle) but really want to get it to work directly plugging via USB-C.

Iā€™ve connected a family members Macbook Air (2019) via USB-C and this recongises the PPM and works just fine so itā€™s not the video port on projector that is the issue.

Any idea why i canā€™t get my Macbook Pro to work? Any known hardware issue or some sort of config i need to adjust?

2 Likes

same issue with Surface Go and Acer switch 5. It works with a dongle usb C hdmi/hdmi but itā€™s not works with usb c/usb cā€¦Any solution ?

It depends. It might be the same issue I faced: Troubleshooting: USB-C video problems - #27 by Philips_Support_P and as you have already confirmed that everything is fine with a MBA Iā€™m fairly sure this is the exact same handshake issue I had with my MBP 16" (2019).

It looks like it - iā€™ve also posted on that thread to. Doesnā€™t seem like there is a fix.

Is this something that can be solved with a software update or is a hardware issue that canā€™t be sorted?

It definitely sounds like you need the newer firmware for the USB-C alt-mode controller inside the PPM. I was able to upgrade mine (thatā€™s what the USB communication is for in the charge port), but the upgrade process is not entirely straight forward (and clearly not meant for end-user use).

I believe the supported way from Philips point of view is to swap the projector (as was mentioned by @Philips_Support_P in the other thread). I wouldnā€™t recommend the horrible tool from Legendary/C-Force.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if there are more people having this issue, maybe there are enough people to warrant a custom off-line tool to be developed, thereby avoiding shipping projectors back and forth.

1 Like

I have a MacBook Pro 16ā€˜ā€˜ 2019 too. When I get my PPM (maybe next week) I will check the USB-C connection.

Great if you could - iā€™m running a 13" MBP (2019) and itā€™s not working. However a family members 2019 MBA works fine via USB-C for video.

@wernerj - as the original identifier of this bug, how do I go about either flashing the firmware or getting a replacement PPM? I still have this problem!

1 Like

@PEHowland please contact our support (@screeneo.com), they will help you with either of the 2 options.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think I was first by any means, but I was hit by it and I did get it sorted, @Philips_Support_P has the official word how to proceed outlined above. I hope that will resolve the issue!

1 Like

Yesterday I received my PPM. As expected the PPM shows ā€šNo Signalā€˜ after connecting the USB-C cable to my MacBook Pro 16ā€˜ā€˜ (2019).
So I tried to install the firmware update which I received a few days ago by the Screeneo support. Because it is a zip file including an exe file I used a Windows 10 machine. First there is a warning message by Windows Defender. After ignoring this warning and a second one I get an launcher error ā€žUnable to open archive fileā€œ and the setup is stopped.
Any ideas how I can install the firmware?

You have to choose the compatibility mode. Win95 works for me :smiley:

And Google Translater is super handy because i think one part is missing. You have to click on ā€œwriteā€ to start the flashing process. With Google Translator I was able to find out that it is the first of the three buttons below on the right.

Google Translator worked only on the word document (screenshots) not the EXE, because i missing chinese fonts.

1 Like

I had to run the update in an OOOOOLD WinXP virtual machine, seriously messing up the in-button texts - but the update did complete after I gave the VM network access. Sounds like I didnā€™t go far enough back in the compatibility settings before I gave up on a Win10 VM :smiley:

Thanks for your hints! After using the compatibility assistant in the property dialog of the file the installation of the tool succeeded. Running the tool installs another tool which has to be opened.
In the manual it seems to be the rightmost button to be pressed then. But the leftmost of the three buttons is the correct one (as you mentioned).
I needed several attempts until the firmware update starts und and a counter counts up until 100%.
But now the issue is fixed :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

After 9 months of waiting. I finally received the Picopix Max projector. I feel very exciting! So far everything works as expected. Except when I connect the project to my desktop computerā€™s graphic card (Nvidia GTX 980) using DisplayPort to USB-C. The computer didnā€™t detect the projector. While the projector continues display a green ā€œNo Signalā€ screen.

So whatā€™s going on? Does anyone has any idea why I canā€™t connect the projector on the USB-C port via DisplayPort output?

I tried to get the firmware file to install under Windows 10 and also suffered problems with the ā€œunable to open archive fileā€ error. Using a compatibility mode was not enough - in the end I also had to rename the .exe filename to remove all of the odd characters. Then it worked. Firmware now flashed and problem solved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi. I have the same problem with my mbpro 16 and usbc. How can I have the firmware upgrade tool?

Thanks

Email support@screeneo.com with the subject line

PPX620 USB-C Video firmware flash procedure request

Thank you. Solved the issue. I made it working on a real win 10 pc (I tried in parallels on my mac but without success).

As already pointed out by @maShine the guide should be updated since itā€™s missing the step where the user has to push the ā€œwriteā€ button.

Also the file should be renamed without non-latin character otherwise it gives errors during the setup process.

2 Likes