USB-C Video Port not working with MacBook or other laptops

Could you maybe post the Solution for everyone?

If youā€™re having trouble updating the software online, you can try to update it via the offline method. Youā€™ll need a USB stick or SD Card and a computer to download the update file. Hereā€™s how:

1. Make sure your USB stick or SD Card has at least 1 GB free space, and is formatted as FAT32.
  2. Download the update file from this link.
  3. Rename it to update.zip (do not unzip this file!)
  4. Copy it to the root folder of a USB stick or SD card, and plug it into the PicoPix Max.
  5. Go to Settings > Software Update > Offline update to start the update.

Remember: do not power off the projector during update. Itā€™s recommended to keep the projector plugged into power during this time.
Mac users note : By default, macOS automatically unzips archive files downloaded from the web. You should temporarily disable this feature before you download the .zip file by going to Safari > Preferences and turning off this option:

PROJECTOR/FAX/STB Philips Consumer Care

Same here. Did you get it fixed?

USB-C cable in video input of the PPX does what you say, when connected to my Win10 brand new Asus Laptop.
When connected in the Power PPX USB-C inputā€¦it does not charge.

The PPX needs 15V to charge.
Your Laptop only outputs 5V over USB.

Thanks for your reply.
I actually thought that USB-A delivered 5, while the C ones were up to 20V. Wrong?

In any case, are you telling me that the USB-C input of the PPX is just meant to be plugged to AC 220V (I live in Europe) ?

That is incorrect.

The PPX needs at least 3A at 15V to charge, with 4A being preferred. A USB-C PD charger that canā€™t negotiate 3A or more at 15V will not work, despite that charger perhaps being able to deliver more Amps at 20V. I have a charger for instance that can deliver 5A @ 20V but cannot negotiate 3A at 15V.

1 Like

If you have an ā€œActionā€ store in your country and need a second charger for the PPX.
I have been using this one since June with the PPX and it works fine.
It outputs 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 12V/3A, 15V/3A, 20V/2,25A

(Thanks @IvoGrijt for the correction :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

After upgrading my laptop to the latest MacBook Pro 16-inch 2019 model, I also faced the same issues reported here: PPM shows the green ā€˜NO SIGNALā€™ screen, while the MacBook does not recognise the projector connected to USB-C.
Thanks to the great support from Screeneo I was able to resolve the issue: It requires an upgrade of the USB-C firmware. The following link (provided by Screeneo support) contains all information you need to perform the firmware upgrade for the USB-C chip: https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/ppx620/tools/PPX620-USB-C-Upgrade.zip
Some remarks on the process:

1. You need a Windows machine to perform the steps (or use a virtual VM on Mac)
  2. The procedure is a bit sketchy: requires installation of a USB driver, install unsigned software that is only available in Chinese
  3. Make sure you rename the folders and executable filenames to only use regular (A-Z) characters. The provided ZIP file uses some weird characters which prevents Windows from opening the archive (ā€œUnable to open archive fileā€)
  4. When youā€™re running the tool that performs the firmware upgrade, connect your PPM, wait for the tool to recognise the PPM, then select the last row on screen. Then simply hit the first button (Iā€™ve been told that button is called ā€˜Writeā€™).
    Thanks to Screeneo support for the swift and accurate response when I reported the issue. Iā€™m not sure if this problem is only applicable to Macs, or wether other Windows PCs also suffer from the same problem, perhaps someone facing similar issues on Windows machines can confirm ?
4 Likes

Why canā€™t they just push the firmware upgrade through with the next software update. Instead of us having to fxxk around on our own.

This is different from a normal update, where the RockChip firmware is replaced. In this case itā€™s the USB-C chipset that gets a newer firmware.

Iā€™m not really too clued up about the whole process but since I get occasional firmware updates for my Mac OTA I thought that would be the same. Excuse the ignorance on my part. But since this is done OTA I would have thought that the firmware update can either be bundled with or sent out as an individual update

Happy & Healthy 2021! :slight_smile:
Just in case someone else has a Dell XPS 15 9550 (I know, slightly old) and has issues connecting via the USB-C cable, I received the update from Ivo, updated the firmware following the instructions in the included document and the connection issues have been resolved. All my USB-C cables that supposedly support 4k or 8k video seem to work properly, e.g. the included cable and some cables I got from Amazon and Ali Express. A Samsung Galaxy S9 still has issues, the Galaxy S10+ and a Xiaomi Black Shark 2 work perfectly fine. This all relates to USB-C. BTW I also believe itā€™s a pity that some software issues canā€™t be solved OTA.

2 Likes

Because of the way the (less than stellar) USB-C controllers are hooked up, thereā€™s no way for the main RockChip SoC to download code to them. The charging USB-C controller is even worse, thereā€™s NO way to access firmware download on that one. There are several major issues with how the ā€œLegendaryā€ chips work (including their firmware update procedure). That supplier will hopefully not be used again, there are MANY better ways of doing this, most of them will support OTA updates.

The same applies to the unfortunate hookup of the ā€œvideo chipā€, which can also be updated OTA if it would only be hooked up in a different way.

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying this Werner :+1:t2:

One of the main issues with this project projector

Hello Guys, this is due to the FW of the USB-C.
There is a way to update your USB-C firmware and our support can help you. Please send us an email to support@screeneo.com