V1.0.32 (pre-1.1.0) now available for beta testing

Yes, power supply was connected nearly all the time. I disconnected it in presentation mode to see if it makes a difference for about 20 seconds and reconnected it after another 20 seconds. This seemed to result in the small spike seen during the presentation mode area, and settling around 50 degrees. I also started a movie via Kodi in presentation mode to have some more load on the gpu.

1 Like

Ok clear, thanks!

We will keep it in beta for a couple more days. In the meantime there will shortly be a launcher update. Once all are tested ok, we plan to release on Friday or Monday.

2 Likes

Ok, lets see maybe some other testers can send their graphs in the meantime. - Also looking forward to test Kodi :slight_smile:

1 Like

@trappm since you have adb already setup, you can try like this :

adb shell setprop persist.sys.keystone.display.id -1
adb shell setprop vendor.hwc.compose_policy 6

This will disable 4CC and improve performance of composited layers.

However, do not base your judgment on FPS display by turning on log. That log itself reduces performance because itā€™s a 4th composited layer on top of the rest.

2 Likes

Can you post a quick adb walkthrough?
What do I need, and where?
Did you need accounts or passwords, USB cables, Linux or Windows, etc? Links to other sites explaining what to do are also okay.

I love your graph and would like to couple it to dB output and battery percentage for instance.

Hi Prashant,
wow, it makes a big difference to use Kodi with this settings. I just tested my enigma sat receiver kodi plugin which was very choppy before without these settings. When the Kodi gui was popping up the video became even more choppier. I can say that applying these settings sat tv is fluid with and without Kodi GUI. I will do some more tests later on with some moviesā€¦ā€¦
Regarding the android colors: - Has anything changed with this beta release ? - I.e. is the gamma tweak now applied by Default ? - I still have my tweaked settings in the hidden menu set, not sure if they are still needed or should be reset to the middle of all levers. Currently It appears like something is different regarding colors, not sure if I am right hereā€¦

1 Like

Hi IvoG,
sure I can describe what I have done to get adb working. On the projector side you have do do the steps as described by Prasanth:
You can enable adb easily. Click ok 5 times in About > Software Version. Then from the hidden android menu, go to Device Preferences > About and click 10 times on the build number. Finally go to Developer Options and enable both usb debugging and Internet Adb.

I used a Windows PC and downloaded the adb Tools here:
https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
Click: Download SDK Platform-Tools for Windows
unzip the file to your wanted location, add the unzip directory to your path variable
the open a cmd window and connect to your projector via IP adress.
adb connect 192.xxx.xxx.xxx
You have to allow this connection on the projector in the pop up window once to store the key.
To get the log displayed on the cmd line type
adb logcat
or pipe it into a text file :
adb logcat > log.txt

In the log file look for Tempture.

1 Like

Sounds promising. Can you also try youtube playback? avc or higher resolutions like 4k.

I fear my Internet connection is not fast enough for 4K Youtube. Anyway I would have no comparison.
But ist quite easy to set these settings over adb for a test. You donā€™t even need an additional cable.

2 Likes

Thanks Marcus, as soon as Iā€™m back home from the groceries run for this week Iā€™ll give it a go. This is exciting! I love to look under the hood of my machinery!

2 Likes

Regarding bluetooth audio stutters:

I am one of those users facing this issue. ā€œStutterā€ in my case means audio disappearing for ~0.5s. In order to be more precise, let me put my setup:

• I own a couple of Sony SRS XB30 speakers, featuring Bluetooth 4.2.
  • Only one can be connected with PPM at the same time (no Bluetooth 5.0 here)
  • Second speaker can be connected with first one (as master-slave) From PPMā€™s point of view there is only one speaker. I donā€™t know what RF band they use to transfer audio between them, I guess 2.4GHz.

So here comes the issue (firmware 1.0.29)

• When only one speaker is present, everything works flawlessly. Audio is fine no matter WiFi connection is 2.4GHz or 5GHz.
  • If both speakers are present audio stutters. With the 2.4GHz network, stutters happen each 2-4 seconds (totally unusable) With the 5GHz network, stutters mostly disappear, but still happen like 1-2 occurrencies per minute (still annoying)
  • Finally, if you remove batteries from PPMā€™s remote, stutters completely go away! No matter what WiFi band is selected or the number of speakers present, it works just fine. Itā€™s a solid workaroud!

Sadly, it seems that 1.0.32 firmware does not make any difference in my case. At least I cannot clearly see any improvement here. In any case, one speaker is totally enough for me 99% of the time :wink:

3 Likes

Is this log session-based, in other words, only from the time of startup, or is it historic?
Also, should I disable debugging afterwards to avoid performance hits or storage filling up?

From my understanding it stores and shows the log from the current session. Writing log messages in a file of course consumes some performance. - If you want to test the kodi enhancements with the two setprop commands, they are visible also without disabling the debug features. You can read out the initial values via the command : adp getprop and look for the two variables mentioned via setprop commands.
By default they are set after booting to :
[persist.sys.keystone.display.id]: [1]
[vendor.hwc.compose_policy]: [0]

1 Like

Okay, so those properties are also not persistent then at the moment, just like the log.

Yes, after reboot you get the default values back. - For persistent values we need to wait for the next beta or official release.

1 Like

I couldā€™ve typed these words myself, but really, this is the only way to verbalize how this feels.
:+1:t4:

Bugs in 1.0.32 / launcher 1.4.0 : with 24 hour time format set in hidden settings menu, and correct time zone in both launcher settings and hidden menu settings, 20:52 is shown as 8:52pm in launcher home, and worse yet as 08:52 in launcher settings menu.

Kodi performance in UI is actually worse with 4CC on in 1.0.32. With 4CC off UI lag still exists, but itā€™s much more usable than with 4CC on. Fan speed when using Kodi in 1.0.32 is as high as it was under 1.0.29 (i.e. reduced fan speed benefit is cancelled out).

In 1.0.29 and 1.0.32, I cannot write to a known good FAT32 formatted sd card in X-plore app. Error screenshot is attached. App has storage permission allowed in hidden settings menu.

1 Like

Hi @fhteagle thanks for testing!

The language setting (under projector settings, not the hidden settings) determines the time format shown on the home screen. If you have selected English, the only region is US, which uses 12-hour time. Itā€™s a known issue and the updated launcher will let you directly change the display format. For the settings screen, I am talking to that team about correcting it.

Did you measure it or do you mean it looks worse? If you measured the fps via the log option, this is not reliable. If it looks visibly worse, thatā€™s strange. Have you disabled 4CC via adb? Or did you simply reset it in the settings? If you did not use the adb commands then you wonā€™t see any performance improvement in this version, the user-friendly method is not integrated yet.

Itā€™s important to know that the fan speed is not reduced, the target temperature is increased and the fan speed adapts to maintain it. What it means in practice ā†’ the fan will spin as low as your surroundings allow, or as high as is necessary. So indeed the fan noise can stay the same as before, if the projector cannot cool down sufficiently. In our testing we found the fan speed can be about half it used to be before, for normal room conditions.

Can you please check another SD card? Is it possible that this SD card has developed some bad blocks? As far back as 1.0.27 we removed the restriction on 3rd party apps writing to SD cards, so this should work normally.

1 Like

While we were talking temperatures: which temperature does the adb log show: the battery, light engine, or CPU temperatures? Which one is the Tempture?

Hmmā€¦ at least some user made a video with 1.0.27 where he still had problems writing to a SD Card or USB drive. He tested PowerPoint and Wordā€¦

Just tested PowerPoint from Aptoide store with 1.0.32. - Itā€™s not possible to write to the internal SD card with this program. - If you select save as - SD Card - the program asks for permissions and if you allow it, itā€™s still not possible to store as the save field is greyed out. So it seems the problem is not entirely fixed. Same behaviour on the X-plore file manager from Aptoide. Itā€™s not possible to write to SD Card with it.

1 Like