Vertical colour alignment issue?

What is the next move try update the firmware again ?

Once you update the firmware, that becomes the default. A factory reset doesn’t reset the firmware to an earlier version, it wipes all the settings you have changed and apps you’ve installed, data, caches, and basically everything you changed to the firmware image.

So I don’t believe the firmware is the issue per sé.

It looks from the picture that 2 images are being drawn.

1 Like

Prashant told me that in the chat telegram
But still the focus issue went completely gone after reset so something went wrong after update firmware

2 Likes

After being the operative word here indeed. That’s why the factory reset worked, but also proof that it wasn’t the firmware itself that caused the problem, else it would return just the same after the factory reset.

1 Like

Yes I see that I still have fw 29 so I’m thinking it’s a glitch that corrected itself after reset fw

Hi @robincm I suggest you to at least update the firmware tonight and wait a couple of days, if the problem persists, then you should ask for a replacement.

1.1.0 installed early evening and since then the vertical alignment has been fine, despite switching inputs both on the ppm and my receiver. I think it’s too early to tell if it’s sorted it permanently, but at least I’ve had a whole evening of crisp viewing :grinning:

Fan noise and settings buttons are better too!

6 Likes

Just a quick update. Sadly the issue has not gone away, it’s still intermittent. Last night was especially bad, even being noticeable on pictures as well as text.

I’ve just submitted a support request via the “contact” form linked at the top of this site.

Very annoying! That really looks like the actuator isn’t in sync with the video, but I would have expected that would be a permanent issue, not intermittent. Sounds like you better get that unit replaced.

1 Like

Yes it’s a shame, I really like this little device - still use it most days even after having it for a few months.

The issue exhibiting itself is really random, I can’t get any consistency. Some days are better than others, and if I do something to test/trigger it like changing inputs on my receiver sometimes it starts doing it, others not. Power cycle doesn’t seem to affect it.

I hope yours is still behaving? :grinning:

It is, I’m trying to figure out some other minor issues regarding charge current limitation and USB-C PD contract negotiation, but image wise it behaves as expected.

1 Like

I did a comparison of my stationary, ceiling-mounted Benq W2000 projector and the PPM, using the Netflix “Test Patterns” film. Unsurprisingly the Benq provides a much clearer, natural-looking picture with better sharpness/focus. However the PPM is not that far behind. What is slightly annoying with the PPM is the colour fringing of magenta and green. When there is supposed to be a white line, you get three lines: Magenta, white and green (or the opposite order). Is this due to imperfections in the small lens, or something that is a result of shifting the mirrors very quickly to create a 1080P picture out of something one quarter in size?

Here are some pictures. I leave it up to the reader to guess which picture is from the Benq and what two pictures are from the PPM.

2 Likes

It looks like chromatic aberration, but not crazy bad IMHO. I see some of it with my PPM as well. It’s a very small (plastic) lens with its imperfections. Could also be that the different primary color LEDs aren’t aligned perfectly into the prism (not sure what is being used to combine the four LED banks before shining it across the DMD). The DMD itself couldn’t really care less which color is which, but all the tolerances before and after it show up due to the fact that the lens is enlarging everything much more that with your W2000 for example.

1 Like

Yes, I assume that it would be much more difficult to get a perfect alignment and no chromatic abberation with such small dimensions. So I´m OK with it.

1 Like

Exactly. The cellphone cameras also struggle with CA due to the small size among other factors, but they are masking most of it by applying processing to the image to reduce the visible artifacts. That’s not as easy in a projector unfortunately.

1 Like

Is this green and purple missaligned? Is that an issue ?
@IvoGrijt @Philips_Support_P

1 Like

It is the same here - check the text at top left corner on your home screen:

For me this is not acceptable. Thanks @Hans-Goran_Puke that you could compare your ppm with other projector - and the result is clear - it is a bug, or a general issue with ppm.

yes i have the same so is it hardware issue or software?

1 Like

Compared to what I had, which was consistent across the whole image, and in the vertical plane only (see my photos further up), this just looks like roughly what I’d expect from a device at this price point, given that you’re paying for the small size and battery power.
Even my glasses, which cost around a quarter of the price of the projector, just for lenses and a (non designer) frame, have some degree of chromatic aberration at the extremes of the viewing area.

1 Like

Ok so its same on all ppm devices