Working external battery pack?

He wrote above that he purchased a ZMI QB815 if I’m not wrong. I had not tested my ZMI further, it went quite warm after some time.

I think for powerbanks, charging + operating isn’t really important since the real goal for the powerbank is to charge PPM while not in use or extend its battery while in use.

2 Likes

Hey mate. I got it on eBay Australia, but it’s also result available on AliExpress. With the exchange rate, postage and time frame I decided to buy it locally on eBay.

Ok so the results are in, 4hrs 50mins in Normal.

I decided to plug the Zmi in right from the get go and just play. I didn’t want to have to muck around trying to squeeze the absolute theoretical maximum out by running in Normal, unplugged and switching to Eco mode, on charge (to try and achieve uniform brightness) I just wanted to test it the way I would probably use it, that is plug it all in, forget about it and enjoy.

It was paired to Bluetooth (headphones) at max volume, not sure if it takes anymore power to broadcast BT at full volume?

I’ve very happy with this, sure the 20,000mah Zmi QB823 will give it even longer but this will comfortably cover most “double headers”.

As a bonus, I decided by starting out with the Zmi plugged in, it would go flat first, so, while the PPM was running on its internal battery, the Zmi could be being charged. I reckon then when the battery at 15% warning comes up, I can go get the battery off charge (probably not full) and get another hour.

4 Likes

So this was surprising, just for kicks I put the PPM into presentation mode and plugged the Zmi in… It charged!

1 Like

I’m using the OmniCharge Omni Mobile 25600mah, works well. https://amzn.to/3dv5sFd

I’ve found this one that also doubles up as a car battery charger! £25 What do you lot reckon?

Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s going to work. As far as I know, any battery pack (or charger) needs to support 15V/3.0A output to even run the projector, 15V/4.0A to run and charge at the same time.

1 Like

It runs at up to 24v so it should be ok? 65w÷15v= 4.33a if my sums are right.

I had a closer look at the specs. I don’t see a USB Type-C port at all, and the USB Type-A ports don’t support anything above 12V/2.0A. I don’t have a lot of experience with USB-PD, but to my understanding NB ports don’t have USD-PD support so I don’t think you can use that.

2 Likes

IMHO it’s not that simple and battery/charger must support exact 15V@3A to run or 15V@4A to run and charge. Plain fact that it supports more Volts and Amperes does not guarantee anything

1 Like

Exactly. And most crucially, must be able to negotiate the USB-PD with the device. I have never seen that done with a non-USB port.

Yeah a google search for 15v@4a always turns up powerbanks or chargers for the surface pro, but they only have a dc output not USB-C

Cinema in bedroom:) I am testing right now my new Xiaomi mi powerbank pro 3 45W.
The PPM runs on it and chagres at the same time. 5% in about 20min. At first the battery was on 67%.

7 Likes

That’s awesome!! This would be normal brightness I guess (presentation sounds way too overkill for the bedroom scenario)?

Yes:)

1 Like

Bonjour,
Avez vous trouvé une batterie externe compatible ?

I can recommend this one:

Very cheap, but well built and works fine.

1 Like

Merci :slight_smile:

Is it enough for the PPM ? What do you think ?
Im thinking of order this power bank.