Auto focus inconsistent

Hey bro dont want to be pushy but i am not getting reply back from the supports team :frowning:

Hi Mate… Sorry to bother you but I am still waiting for @Philips_Support_T or @Philips_Support_T to get back to me on the procedures of initiating for the replacement unit. I tried getting the focus back with my device and it is impossible. It was obvious it’s a defective hardware issue. I know you are busy with sending the rest of the fulfillment but replacement needs to be carried out promptly as well. Perhaps by another department. Thank you.

Hello @aafarup and @ronaldtai could you please tell me your ticket numbers.

@Philips_Support_P ID is #19348 .
Thanks Mate :slight_smile:

Hi mate, my id 19286. Thanks!!

Dear Ronald,
We just sent you, by separate email, the procedure to return your defective product.
Should you need further assistance, please let us know.
Best regards,

Dear PhilipsAfterSales,

Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it. I will fill in the detail to expedite shipment of the defective unit. I do understand you all have your plate full with after sales service. I will try to be patient.

Once again. Thank you so much!

Few questions though…

1. When you say backerID in indiegogo… Did you mean the Contribution ID?

2. How do you want me to package up the unit? In its original box with all the accessories together?

Dear Ronald,
1- Yes, BackerID is your contribution ID.
2- Correct, you need to send back the full unit with all accessories (as explained in the procedure we sent you).
Thanks,

Thank you so much Support. Will do on the packaging. I kept the original box of the ppm and all. Keep up the good work mates.

Just got a framed 77” screen on the wall for the projector!

But I now noticed that focus is ok on right and left side but not as sharp in the middle!
If i do adjut it manually to get a crisp image in the middle it gets worse on the sides…

Some one else seen this or is it an issue with the lenses on my PPM (Maybe I need a replacement unit to get focus over all the projector screen…)

Hi mate, I noticed if I didn’t position the ppm directly facing the screen/wall, the image may be skewed slightly where the focus will be affected (one side more focus than the other side).

Hi, I have a question about the auto focus. When I use it, it does its sweep in and out of focus like normal, then gets in focus which looks great but then it does 3 small rotations 1 second apart then stops which puts it slightly out of focus, then the focus wheel on screen disappears. I have to nudge the focus 3 steps in the other way to get it back in focus. Why is it doing those 3 small rotations at the end?

I am running the newest firmware 1.1, I have tried factory reset and tried it on different walls and different lighting but it still does that 3 steps

Hi @lukesavvides yes this is expected, for the focus to sweep past the entire range once, then settle on the focus point. The 3 small steps are normally not expected, it could simply be the focus motor slipping a little. But this is part of the design parameter. At this size, for this powerful light engine, this is the best we can do. A more precise stepper-motor based autofocus would have been ideal but it could not be fit into our budget and space limitations.

What I can suggest you, is to use the left/right arrow keys on the remote to manually fine-tune the focus after the ‘auto’ part is done but the UI is still visible. You will not see precise movement with every “click” but will still be able to achieve a better focus this way.

It also depends a lot on your environment and lighting and how far you’re from the screen. Finally also the Sharpness option (Projector Settings > Image > Color Adjustments, and then go left/right to reach the sharpness adjustment). Normally you can set it to 0 for cinematic quality. But setting it a bit higher may improve the perception.

3 Likes

Hey @PhilipsEngineering Bro did you have a look at that video for ID #19348

Hello @aafarup yes, I have alerted @Philips_Support_T team who will expedite your ticket. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, however the 3 additional steps it does is clearly not slippage, you can hear the motor do 3 distinct steps, each spaced 1 second apart. Sounding like a stepper motor doing 3 separate steps. This is obviously controlled steps not slippage so it should be fixable through software? I can upload a video if required

Hello,
We are sorry you face an issue with your PicoPix Max and just sent you the procedure for replacement by separate email.
Should you need further assistance, please let us know.
Best regards,

2 Likes

A moving picture is worth a million words! Also measure the (rough) distance between projector and screen please.

Hi @lukesavvides I just checked my sample unit. You are right there are a few extra clicks at the end, not always 3, sometimes 2 - 5 clicks, as if it’s fine-tuning the focus.

Let me talk to the right people to get to the bottom of this. My understanding is that the algorithm is possible to improve by software.

1 Like