Auto focus inconsistent

Yes exactly, it’s like it’s trying to fine tune, but the extra clicks are always in the same direction which sounds like it’s not actually fine tuning but releasing a few extra clicks in one direction. I would assume the software is instructing these few extra clicks as it’s the same amount of time between clicks. If it was random then it could be because it is not a stepper motor and just slipping but these extra clicks sound very controlled. It is annoying because it focuses perfectly, then moves slightly out of focus with the extra steps.

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_P, I assumed your focusing hardware has a particular range. What happens if you reach the end of a physical part of the range? Will continuing manual focus towards that end result in a hardware failure?

And if there’s a range, probably will be great to visualize the range graphically on the screen in a firmware update so that we can do better focusing… Much like how we fine tune a radio meter… Hope you know that I mean… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@lukesavvides Mate i have seen the same thing. sometime it worsen the focus after that few clicks. it started with the new update.
Btw, Did ever your focus froze while focusing ? like the video i posted above?

Hello , I have filled the form. but have you looked at the video? do you have any idea if its a software bug or something?

@aafarup it is a mechanical problem. Your autofocus mechanism seems to be getting stuck when moving one way, perhaps at the end of the range. When you press it the 2nd time, it moves the other direction, and manages to focus.

2 Likes

Yes it did freeze once but turning the projector off and on solved it. I am more concerned about the extra steps it does, kinda defeats the object of auto focus if you need to adjust it each time

Thank you for clearing :slight_smile: How long is the wait for replacement turn around. I am in Australia

Thank you for speaking to the team, please do let us know the outcome. It would be great to have this fixed as it does defeat the object of autofocus if it needs adjusting each time. Thank you

Hello, the full process (return and replacement) should take about 4 weeks

1 Like

Have like tried moving it side ways but it seems not to help! Might be a limitation of the lenses in the projector.

Need to park that issue for now!

Have to investigate HDMI image quality using a Windows 10 PC for now…

Need some reference image of a 77” projected desktop as i’m not that happy with the sharpness of fonts and images!

Hi @Philips_Support_T and @IvoGrijt,

I assumed I have to give proper time for philips to get things organized to collect my defective unit. That is why when I submitted the replacement request form on 13th May, I indicated 18th May (5 days) as a good pick up date. Today is 18th May 7:00pm and no one came to pick up.

Can you help me to check the latest status please? It would be great if someone can call me in advance to inform me when they will come to pick up. Thank you so much.

Hi @Philips_Support_P can you please confirm if you have submitted the focusing bug to the team and if it can be adjusted in an update? Thank you

Hello, we should be able to send you the shipping documents this week.

Thank you so much. It saddens me that I have to return this ppm unit. I have been without ppm enjoyment for the past week. I felt empty… Hahaha. Hope we can get this done soonest so that I can enjoy ppm again. It’s addictive!

Ps: please do check QC carefully ya… :pray::pray::pray:

Hi @Philips_Support_P,

I wish you well. I would like to revisit my idea here :

Could we have a visual range of the auto-focus displayed on the screen so that when we reached one end of the range, we will not continue pressing towards that end. It will be great if it’s possible in firmware update. Because no point to keep going one direction when the hardware end range already reached. Thanks!

Hi, do you mean send the shipping documents to me? I am not returning my projector, I found the focus bug with additional steps after the projector focuses itself. I was told this can be adjusted in a software update and I was wondering if it has been submitted to the engineering team to adjust the software?

Hey @ronaldtai, so just for fun, I did try manually move the focus towards one end of the physical range to get the smallest projected image possible in this post. Before you click on the link, make a guess how many inches is the smallest image. :joy: I hope the experiment didn’t do any permanent damage to the focusing mechanism. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hello, not sure it will be much SW improvement made on that. We recommend to use a manual fine tuning to get the expected picture.

1 Like

hi, my projector sometimes has a problem to focus automaticly after i hit the focus button by accident while it was focused before.

i have to manuall adjust the autofocus after that or it does not focus, even after pressing autofocus button again.

is there something i can do? us that to be expected behavior algorithm wise?

Hi @Chris_von_Mythos what happens if you hit the autofocus button twice or thrice, does it then focus automatically to how it was before you accidentally hit the button?