It's here! - First Impressions and Thoughts

I did not delete the pre-installed S YouTube. I am able to sign in to S YouTube app through the “activate” link from my phone.

I received mine yesterday! Yaaaay :slight_smile: Very first impression - it is much heavier than I thought! Size is pretty good. Someone is good at tetris, because I’m not sure how you crammed all that stuff into the box. The carrying pouch is nice, gonna use it for storage. The tripod is actually quite decent, but I do wish you could lock the legs so it could stand on a smaller surface. The airmote works really well, that mouse feature surely is magic :slight_smile: I have a nice small BT keyboard that works wonder with the projector, and I had a microSD lying around that I repurposed for videostorage

As for the projector itself, I made sure to read up on various do’s and don’ts - so setup and updating was pretty straightforward. Autofocus, 4 corner correction, speed of the system, picture quality, menus and settings are all working good so far. The various apps I tested also worked well. I have to get used to changing around the mode and picture options a bit based on how much light is in the room + what surface is used (this is my first projector). In that regard, I wish you could change those settings while you have a video paused.

I was a little surprised about the noise from the fan - a bit louder than expected. But! That was from me testing early and being close to the device in a silent environment. When you got a speaker connected and place yourself a bit further from the projector, I didn’t really notice it much

I tried to get a big picture projected up on a wall when it got a bit darker, and some scenes I tried out from a couple of anime movies almost had my jaw drop. Looked really amazing. Later that night, I streamed this sing along thing that aired on TV for the family with a big BT speaker connected, and they had really positive reactions.

Before bed I tried to place it so it projected onto the ceiling so I could watch while in bed, again, just had to adjust the image a bit and it worked really well.

I see a lot of potential for this device, its crazy. Portability, quality and versatility in features. I hope the device can be improved even further (such as the upcoming color app), and also, I hope the device will stay/be reliable in regards to hardware components not failing “easily” over time

So far - VERY IMPRESSED AND HAPPY! :smiley:

6 Likes

Great to hear you’re enjoying it so far!
Please go through our Feature Suggestions category and see what you think you may want to still see implemented, and comment and vote there. If you have ideas not represented there yet, please post a new topic for each separate idea (as long as they’re not too similar to existing ones or each other)

2 Likes

Hello there,

I received my Picopix max yesterday and so far did many testings, I am really happy about the image quality, the autofocus is amazing but I have a few feedbacks.

One important thing is missing for me. I used to have the first Picopix, that I used the past 5 years with no android in it, It was just a simple interface with HDMI connection.
There I could use the remote to adjust Brightness contrast and saturation very simply, with a small popup menu.
However on Picopix max it is only possible internally in a sub menu.

Here It would be great to have these features working directly from the remote when we use HDMI, or other external sources. It is not so practical to adjust the image in a separate menu, also the settings done internally might not be the best ones for your external source as console or a blue-ray player and so on…

Would it be possible to add simple image settings directly from the remote?

Regarding image, with the old picopix models we could setup wall colors, it could be calibrated on a yellow pink green or blue wall, it was a great feature that I have not found here yet.

Also I noticed that I cannot connect the remote controller and my Philips bluetooth speakers at the same time. If I want to use my good speakers, I cannot navigate easily on the interface anymore.

Could this also be fixed in a next update? ( allow to connect the remote + bluetooth speakers )

Then if I use an external device plugged in with HDMI bluetooth is not usable. Which was one of the feature that convinced me so the picopix would work as the perfect hub.

Also the keystone correction angle and all features that were really appealing to me seem to be usable mostly internally, It would have been nice to have a direct access to all these features for external sources too.

Last of all, so far I could not use screen casting from android phone, from win10 and from a macbook pro. In each case I appeared connected but I had only a black screen on the projector. There’s might be a bug there. I was using a chrome cast before without error on my old picopix, so I see clear improvements to do here.

As a global feedback, It is a great product with very good video quality, many connections, but most features are to be used in the box, and I would prefer personally to have more control on basic settings using HDMI devices. Internal apps navigation was not the smoothest and it is easier to have a computer plugged in on Netflix for instance, but then calibration or color settings must be done in the pico interface which is not so practical.

I hope some improvements can be done in the next updates, and some of these feedback can be useful.

I wish you a nice day

Tanguy

4 Likes

Got mine today in the UK by surprise according to DHL it was still in Germany since Monday.Then i got an email at work saying it will be there between 14:01 and 16:01. Wrong my wife at 14:00 and the van pulled up :slight_smile: …Anyway tried it tonight with my 5 year old son, spiderman 4k trailer beamed onto wall. Semi dark room, certainly not pitched black. Bear in mind the only projector i had before was a 720p cheapo one we were blown away. Image was about 90-100" - great quality - sound pretty good too from projector

2 Likes

Vote here: Settings Overlay, App Switching & Position Presets

Vote here: Wall Color Correction

For the rest, I’d suggest using this secret, hidden forum feature to find out more.
:shushing_face: :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Finally! October 2019 to June 2020 - totally worth it!

Got the package today. Opened it up - really nice presentation and solid work. The PPM is like a little brick! :slight_smile:

The included tripod is also good enough for its purpose, don’t know why there were negative comments in the past.

Currently charging the PPM and what I notice is that the charger itself gets really hot…maybe because it’s really powerful but I’m not sure if thats normal. Most probably…

Quick start guide is the first thing went through - no issues here.

Also for the other backers, I recommend lowering the Sharpness cause it’s default is set to 50%, which makes for a really distorted image, especially visible on video thumbnails for example (I noticed it on Netflix). Lowering it to 5% does miracles :slight_smile:.

Colours are a bit off, but OK. I’m waiting for the colour calibration app in a future update :slight_smile: . Definitely needs improvement on this point. Won’t be tagging Prashant cause he knows about it.

I’ll have to play a bit more with the Auto Keystone Correction, but it looks like it’s working OK.

Autofocus is also working pretty good!

Internal sound is not good enough giving the specs but can save you if you forgot your BT speaker. For example, I connected my BT speaker JBL Go 1, which has one 3W speaker and definitely beats the PPM internal speakers.

Unfortunately, my Anker PowerCore+ 26800mah does not charge the PPM at all. It was a present for my birthday but I guess they just didn’t see that it’s 15V/2A, not 15/3A and above. Well, I’ll have to sell it and buy the one I had my eyes on for some time now RAVPower PD 60W Powerbank USB C Power Delivery 20000mAh: Amazon.de: Elektronik

Waiting to get dark in the evening to test the full power of the PPM. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A lot of people have said this, especially those that have had problems charging the PPX.
I have however yet to feel one of my 3 OEM chargers to get really hot. In fact, they only feel a little bit warm at the most.

Odd… :face_with_monocle:

A post was merged into an existing topic: NETFLIX: Poor video quality, fuzzy, blurry (bitrate issue?)

Did anyone updated PPM Netflix App to latest version? Please share your experience on quality and overall experience. This help :+1:t3:

Don’t update Netflix. You will lose HD quality if you do.

1 Like

Thank you :+1:t3:

This should be fixed on priority, at friends and family circle… first impression. Oh No.

Philips Project team should think on it

Sorry I don’t understand this message. What needs fixing?

If you updated netflix you should uninstall it and instlal it back from the placeholder on the screen. I’m currently watching Interstellar on Netflix and the quality is very good, I’d say it even beats the xGimi H1.

1 Like

Hello
had my max for two days now and am happy with it, any issues I can work around with little effort and compared to other Pico projectors I have owned it stands up well.
The only issue I have so far is the fan noise. I use it cieling mounted pluged into power and even on eco mode it’s audable. I can’t really use on the other settings as it’s to loud.
If this issue could be worked on and improved then this would be a really good piece of kit for my needs.

1 Like

Having a play around with the power settings jumping from Eco, knormal and presentation there is a bit of lag in the system switching and the fan speed changing. If you jump into viewing before it catches up the fan speed doesn’t seem to change. Also I have found inconsistent fan noise on the settings, normal ends up loader than presentation. I have to set it on eco then work up the option list to get the correct noise levle if I jump about it all goes out of sink.

1 Like

Have you updated to the latest version of the firmware? They addressed fan noise.

In case you did, please excuse my basic question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep I did, I think it’s deffinatly an issue between switching through the options and the system not changing accurately. If you wait for it to catch up and do it in order it sort of gets there. I think it just needs a bit of improving in the programming. It could be a bit slicker for the money.

2 Likes

Further to my previous comment It's here! - First Impressions and Thoughts, I just finished watching a 1h 50min movie on Normal mode via HDMI. When the movie started the battery level was at 95% and when it ended, it was at 34%, WOW… really nice. So most probably I’ll be able to get around 3h on Normal if on full battery.

3 Likes