PPM Power requirement

Thank you good to hear.

That is the good news. Thanks.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Working external battery pack?

I wonder if this works with PPM :thinking: Galio: Ultimate Small & Powerful 120w GaN+SiC USB-C Charger by Baseus — Kickstarter

At 15V 3A it should be able to charge when not on (projecting) or to project with little to no charging.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Working external battery pack?

If anyone needs a new charger and a hub I noticed this on Kickstarter. It’s strong enough to charge the PPM plus other items.

There’s no info on the power delivery per voltage levels, so not certain if it support a minimum of 15V 3A, with 4A at 15V would be the best for simultaneous operating and charging.

2 Likes

Hi @Philips_Support_N Please help update on this ?

I emailed them and they replied saying 4A at 15V is doable with their charger

1 Like

That is interesting, as this charger then seems to be one of the only third-party chargers supporting 15V/4A. I wonder why they don’t have any detailed specs on the campaign page about the supported voltage levels and power deliveries on those levels? It would seem to be quite important information for a product like this.

1 Like

Hi, while I love the PPM, the provided charger is definitely not the sexiest beast…it’s just bulky and heavy.

I‘m looking for a smaller charger that does the job. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Carsten

What about this? It says it can charge a MacBook, so it should have enough power.

Anker USB C Ladegerät PowerPort III Mini 30W Power IQ 3.0 kompaktes Power Delivery Typ-C Ladegerät für iphone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro max/XR/XS/X/8, iPad Pro, MacBook, Galaxy S10/9,Pixel,Mate 20 Pro usw

Unfortunately, that Anker charger wouldn’t work well if at all. It has only 2.0A output at 15V. According to information in this thread, the charger needs to support 15V/3.0A to charge the projector when off and power the projector at eco and likely also normal mode. To replace the Philips charger 1-to-1, you would need a charger with 15V/4.0A. Up to now, there hasn’t been many reports of such chargers.

The projector needs considerable power does the size of the charger. I think you can find smaller ones that could work, if not exactly the same as the one provided, but those would likely be expensive.

Since it has 15V/3A on the 65W PD port, it will:

• power the PPM while in use with little to no charging (15V/4A required for that)
  • charge the PPM while not in use
    I have its predecessor, my best charger at the moment!
1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just me but I feel most of the links to chargers here is kinda getting off track, don’t think I’ve seen one that matches exactly what the ppm specifies, besides having multiple USB ports and be able to charge other devices at the same time what advantage do these chargers give over the stock standard ppm charger? price? they don’t look cheap to me, shouldn’t this be merged with the external power post? I’d be more interested in the best cheapest power bank that can prolong running time even though it’s not up to specs than chargers, when I already have a charger that is up to specs.

1 Like

I’ve been struggling with this train of thoughts myself also. But the thing is that any talk of chargers will invariably need discussion / lead to talk of the power requirements, or vice versa. By giving examples of what (somewhat) works, we are showing alternatives for those people who want or need a second charger for their PPM, at this time when no extras are yet available for sale from Philips Projection themselves.

I’ll keep my eye on this thread, if needed we’ll start splitting off new replies covering chargers.

1 Like

I find it reasonably compact and a lot lighter than my 96W Macbook Pro USB-C adapter. Interestingly enough my Macbook adapter actually DOES play nice with the PPM. I also have a 60W Central Computers-branded (Comkia) USB-C PD adapter that is almost exactly the same size as the PPM adapter, but actually heavier.

From my limited testing so far the battery charging only mode consumes less than 2A from 0-~80% and then tapers off from there. Even when in presentation mode the battery was charging (slowly) from 65% to 70% during the time I was testing, this while the total current consumption was less than 3.5A while playing back Youtube video.

With a fully charged battery presentation mode consumes around 2.5A sitting at the home screen and around 2.7A during video playback. It sounds a bit on the low side, I’ll re-measure with a higher accuracy am-meter.

2 Likes

I’d frankly love to see how you measure this! :nerd_face: