PPM Power requirement

Not sure. It doesn’t look that it will provide any power to the PPM even when off, all the charging success stories have been at 15V. There’s a very small range where the charger will operate, it needs to have 13.05V to the battery pack which means that you need a minimum of 13.5-14V on the PPM circuit board (after all cable and connector losses). We also got confirmation that some charger circuitry isn’t 20V capable, which leaves only the 15V level of USB PD 2.0. The chip used does not seem to negotiate any PD3.0 PPS stuff.

1 Like

My farts are quite dumb actually :rofl::dash:

1 Like

Thanks Werner, just what I had suspected.

1 Like

Oh dear… I’d like to blame autocorrect, but I just typed it 3 times and it never corrected. Damn big farmer fingers!

Nah, it happens to any size fingers I can tell you :smiley:

I use Power saver (lowest) brightness with a 45W charger and it has always been enough to charge reasonably fast while projecting.

For what it’s worth, it’s pretty noticable when the power source is supplying enough current to run the projector. When you connect a power source the image briefly disappears then comes back brighter. This means the projection engine is running off external power, and any leftover power is going towards battery charging.

If at any point the image disappears and comes back dimmer, it means the projector wanted more power than it was getting and needed to switch back to using the battery. This also indicates there’s likely no charging going on. I saw this a lot using Presentation with a 45W charger.

3 Likes

That’s a great point. That might just be the best way to test what battery packs work and what doesn’t.

1 Like

Hi @Philips_Support_P would this PD adapter work for the PPM to charge at 20V=5A ?

USB-C Output: 5V = 3A / 9V = 3A / 20V = 5A

As described in a post I linked to 2 posts above yours, it has to support power delivery at 15V. The specs for this model don’t indicate supporting that. So it might not work, unless the spec sheet is incomplete.

Thanks for that , dont know much about power /PD but am scrapping google for info and found this link
https://www.chargerlab.com/anker-powerport-atom-pd-4-100w-a2041-teardown-review/
i does support PD at 15V=3A , but does this means that if i use this the PPM will use 15V=3A and the adapter can still send in more power to recharge the powerbank ?
[ or put other way the PPM will use 15v and will suck in more power to recharge the powerbank ? ]

nice video YouTube
we can use it or not definitely a nice piece to use for all using chargeable hardware USC-C

1 Like

Normally if an adapter outputs 20V, it is required to also output 15V, though not required to output 4 amp. So most 60W adapters will output only 3A at 15V. This is barely enough to run the projector at eco or maybe normal mode. But you can charge with this if you keep the projector powered off.

3 Likes

Has anyone come across this one:

Specs seem to be confusing regarding if it is used plugged into AC or when it is used in PowerBank mode.

Pretty cool Bit of kit though for the road warrior

hi, i am not a tech guy and have a dumb question. If I use the original PPM charger with another usb c cable, say a charging cable from my android phone, does this matter? or can i replace the usb c charging cable with any usb c cable? (not for video)

p.s. my cable comes from my pixel 3 original package in which it’s charger supports 18w PD charging

If it’s too thin and not certified / capable of carrying 4 amps through it, you might end up having a molten cable or even a fire. Other than that, any USB-C cable should work for charging.

1 Like

The Pixel3 cable is a 3A cable. If the Philips charger is fully PD compliant it should limit the output to 3A when not using an e-marked cable (marketed as “100W” or similar)

1 Like

@Philips_Support_P seem that the anker atom wont work, the only option is PPM adapter , and the same if we are to buy a new one.
BTW , is there any discussion is we are to get/order a new power adapter from you, if so how do we do it ? as yours is the only one to support 15V=4V and nothing else in the market has that output.

1 Like

From what I understand the Anker Atom PD2 can output 15V@3A. This is OK for eco and normal mode viewing, and charging when powered off. You need 4A if you want to run at presentation mode, or (trickle-)charge while powered on.

Yes it seems most USBC adapters take the shortcut and offer the minimum required specs.

We don’t yet sell the power adapter as stand alone, but will send you one under warranty if anything happens to it. @Philips_Support_N Do you know how can we support customers who would like an extra adapter?

3 Likes

Thanks Prashant, Hi @Philips_Support_N, please do update on the extra adapter query.

does anyone know whether this would work with PPM?

1 Like

I would assume that it won’t work, since the HyperJuice specifications don’t mention the 15V/4A output that the PPM needs. That being said, I have neither the projector (yet) nor the HyperJuice, so I can’t be sure.

This topic has already been brought up once, here: Compatibility with HyperJuice 100W GaN USB-C Charger

2 Likes